Community Forum

Why my iphone 5 get only 4G on GSM?

Contributor

Why my iphone 5 get only 4G on GSM?

I have verizon iphone 5 which was connecting with LTE data on mintsim.

I activated this phone on Xfinity mobile and everything works nice.

I then want to put my mint sim card back on this phone. (I moved xfinity sim to Xfinity LG phone)

Voice and data works on Mint sim but now it only get 4G instead of LTE.

Does Xfinity / Verizon activation alerts some setting on network side which prevents t-mobile/att connection to 4G speed only instead of LTE?

Official Employee

Re: Why my iphone 5 get only 4G on GSM?

Hi pashvin, are you having issues with your network on the Xfinity sim card or the mint sim card while activated on the IPhone 5? Do you have the same issue when the sims are put into the LG phone? 

Contributor

Hi Amir,

LG phone is also from Xfinity so that is not good test as LG phone is already reported can't support LTE with GSM

But I have one more Moto E4 from verizon (never activated with verizon) and if I put this minsim in it, then I get full LTE.

So my observation is all Verizon phones have GSM and LTE supports and it works but once activated with Verizon, then get only 4G with GSM provider.

Activating with Verizon must be changing something in carrier profile which later prevent connecting GSM with full LTE.

I know agent need to program this profile when I went to store to activate my iphone.

I don't know there is way to clean that ( I tried to full reset my phone but no help).

Official Employee

@pashvin, I checked into this for you on my end and this is a problem that would have to be solved by using another device that has not been activated by Verizon or they would have to reset the equipment on their end. Since you have already swapped the sim, this would be our only options moving forward. 

Contributor

Amir,

I am not very clear about your last message. Are you saying that you can provision my LG (where my xfinity sim is running fine) and freeup my iPhone(which was originally provisioned but not used with Xfinity sim) from the system so iPhone will be de-registered from Verizon network and now iPhone can work (with full LTE) on other provider like t-mobile.

Let me know my undestanding is correct. If it is correct and you need my account info and IMIE and other info, then I can PM you.

Thanks for all the help.

Official Employee

pashvin, 

This sounds like an APN setting issue. When you swapped sims, the APN settings can change too. Each carrier has a different APN. Make sure you have the correct APN setting for mintsim as it is not the same APN settings for XFINITY Mobile. The same would go for T-Mobile and any other carrier. 

KenF