Community Forum

Why does my lock screen now say "Verizon"

Contributor

Why does my lock screen now say "Verizon"

This isn't really a problem, it is more a curiosity.   On the top left corner of my mobile phone's lock screen, where it used to say "xfinity mobile", it now says "verizon".     I am just curious as to why?

Official Employee

Re: Why does my lock screen now say "Verizon"

Hello Warbler94,

Although Verizon is our cellular partner, it should not be the case that it shows up on your lock screen. I would recommend doing a network reset.

On Android Samsung devices, you would go to Settings, General Management, Reset, and then select Reset Network settings. Doing this on iPhones is very similar as you would go into Setting, General, Rest, and then Reset Network Settings.

In case you do not have either of these devices, no worries as the process will be similar. If you are having problems locating the Network Reset on your device, post another message with the device model in order to investigate it further.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

I tried that and it still says Verizon in the top left corner of my lock screen.   Btw, I have a Samsung Galaxy S7.

Regular Contributor

Do you have a verizon or xfinity mobile sim card in your phone?

- Bill
Contributor

I would assume xfinity.  I got the phone in their store.   Also, it used to say "xfinity mobile in the top left corner of the lock screen.

Official Employee

Hi Warbler94,

After doing further research, the root cause of the issue may reside in the provisioning details in our backend system with our cellular partner. Even though this is a cosmetic issue that does not impact billing or services, I still want to get to the bottom of it.

When you get an opportunity, send me a private message that includes account holder’s full name and the mobile number being impacted by this. You can send me a private message by clicking on my name “ComcastChrisL” and then click on “send message”.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

I have sent you a private message with the requested info.

Frequent Visitor

I saw this post from someone else and I'd like to say that my Xfinity phone now also says Verizon on the lock screen. Why is this?
Regular Visitor

I am having the same problem as Warbler94 w/ my Galaxy 7.
Reset did not work for me either.

Contributor

That makes 3 of us so far.

Official Employee

Hey guys,

Just wanted to touch base and let everyone know that I will be in touch with Verizon tomorrow and will provide an update then.  Thank you for all of your time and patience. 

Frequent Visitor

What was found out from
Verizon regarding this issue?
Frequent Visitor

Did you receive a resolution yet?
Contributor

They said the problem isn’t on verizon’s end, it is on the phone itself.  I was told that the only solution was a “master reset” which would return the phone to its original state, which means pics, data, apps etc would be erased.  I would have to back everything up first.  I am thinking about whether I want to do that or just put up with the wrong company on the lock screen.

Frequent Visitor

I'm concerned whether it opens us up to hackers
Contributor

I don’t know.

Frequent Visitor

Does this issue open us up to being hacked I am wondering?
Contributor

I don’t know.

Official Employee

Hello everyone,

I as I mentioned to a few of you, the situation remains purely a cosmetic situation and is not impacting billing or device security.  Of those being impacted by this issue, one person has attempted the master reset on their device to no avail. 

I will keep investigating on my part and will continue to post updates on any new findings.  If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to reach out to me through private message.    

Contributor

Last night, at the beginning of a meeting I attended,  I went to put my phone on silent and noticed the lockscreen said "xfinity mobile" .    I silenced my phone and put it away for the meeting.   I then unfortunately forgot about it and didn't check again until I turned it on this morning and now it is back to "verizon" on the lockscreen.   I thought I should post it.

Official Employee

Hello everyone,

I wanted to provide an update on this issue.  Upon further research, this problem has been identified and is currently being worked on.  What we currently know is that the issue is impacting older devices.  Right now, we know that the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge are the most common devices experiencing this issue.  We have an ongoing escalation addressing this problem and we are adding new cases to it.  I will be adding Warbler94's account to the ticket since that is the only account I have authenticated so far.  

Reach out to me through a private message including first and last name of the account holder, account number or full-service address, the number of the device being affected, and the last 4 digits of the stored pay method.  Upon doing this I can add your account as a new example.  We continue to learn more about this with each new case.  As always, thank you for your continued support and patience.        

Contributor

Thank you for your help.

New Poster

my phone stopped working on saturday. when i try to dial out it says verizon!. anyone else having this issue. I was online for 2 hours with xfinity. then i took it into the store they said i need a new phone, then xfinity today couldn't login to my account to send me a new phone and that I have to call back later.. not too happy.

Contributor

Well, I was the original one to post about this problem.  There is still no solution though they are working on it.    But as far I know, everyone else's phones are still functioning normally.  I know mine is, and I just called my home phone number to test it and it is working.  

New Poster

My Galaxy S7 has the same issue and is still working. How do I send a private message with account info?
Contributor

Go to any post by ComcastChrisL, he is the comcast employee that is working on this, click on his name and then click send message.

Contributor

Is anything happening with this?  Its been awhile since there was an update on this issue.

Official Employee

Hello everyone,

Pardon the delay and thank you again for your continued patience. I have checked in on the escalation generated to address this matter and we are actively working with Verizon to find a solution. I have also added the examples that were provided to me through private message.

I encourage you guys to reach out to me privately with the first and last name of the account holder, the full account number, the last 4 digits of the stored payment method on file, and the telephone number of the device being affected. Remember that you need to be signed into the forum to be able to send me a private message, of which you can do by clicking on my name and then click on send message.

I continue to monitor this on a weekly basis and will report any new findings as soon as they come in.

Contributor

Okay.

Contributor

This morning, I turned on my phone and had an android update waiting.   I ran the update and in the process, it restarted my phone.  When my phone came back on,  it says xfinity mobile in the upper left corner of the lock screen.   I guess the update fixed the problem!  

Official Employee

That is great to hear!  Per the escalation, the fix began rolling out to customers on 9/30.   If you are not seeing the Android update, like Warbler94 did, turn off your phone, and when you turn it back on, you should see the prompt to run the update.   

New Poster

Hi, just changed from Verizon to Xfinity and my iPhone 6 still has verizon on the lock screen. I was on the phone with tech support for 2 hours and they couldn't figure it out. All my voicemails disappeared and I had troube setting up my voicemail. I switched over two identical iPhone 6 and one went smoothy and one didn't.