Community Forum

Why do I have so much data used already?

Contributor

Why do I have so much data used already?

I literally brought a device over to XM 3 hours ago.  I ran a couple of speed tests in the parking lot and came home where it connected to the home wifi.  I logged on to the xfinity mobile website just to see how I can view my account and it says this line has .4GB of usage already.  That is impossible!   It is on wifi and even if it weren't, nothing was used yet. Can Comcast Ken or someone please send me a private message?  I want to make sure something is not wrong because this phone has averaged 2 GB of usage or less for the past few years so  I find it extremely unlikely that nearly a half of a gig was used in 3 hours!

Contributor

Re: Why do I have so much data used already?

@D-man wrote:

I literally brought a device over to XM 3 hours ago.  I ran a couple of speed tests in the parking lot and came home where it connected to the home wifi.  I logged on to the xfinity mobile website just to see how I can view my account and it says this line has .4GB of usage already.  That is impossible!   It is on wifi and even if it weren't, nothing was used yet. Can Comcast Ken or someone please send me a private message?  I want to make sure something is not wrong because this phone has averaged 2 GB of usage or less for the past few years so  I find it extremely unlikely that nearly a half of a gig was used in 3 hours!

Were you on wifi when you setup the phone & all the subsequent updates? If not that most likely used up a good chunk of data.

Or-- did you turn data off or just have wifi on as well. It could be wifi dropped in and out so perhaps was using data during that time.

For what it is worth, I am on the By The Gig plan and I keep my data off 99.99% of the time and average around 5mb/month. I also went in to modify each app to not run data in the background.

New Poster

Some speed test can use lots of data. When I switch over and was constantly testing due to experiencing terrible speeds, I quickly went through 1.4GB in a week. I think Speedtest app uses ~250MB per try. Thank goodness, I was given credit due to the bad service.
Problem Solver

If you used the Ookla Speedtest app, go to results and click on each test result. It will show you how much data it used. The faster your speed, the more data it uses per test. If you had fast results, that probably explains it.

I think you said this is an iPhone. If so, go to Settings-Cellular and it will show you how much data each app has used since the last Reset Statistics. Might not be useful if you haven't Reset Statistics lately (at the bottom of that page). I set a reminder to reset mine each billing cycle. It tracks really well with Xfinity's reported number.
Contributor

Whoa!  I think you are right.  I reset the monthly data counter right after that, but I I remember getting high speeds in the 40 s.  I just ran a speed test on my other phone still on Verizon and got both upload and download speeds in the 40 s and the data used was 48 MB and 55 MB.  So that's .1 GB right there.  I ran 3 or 4 speed tests in different places so I guess that did it.  I did not realize they used so much data!  I guess the good news is that the speeds were fast!  Thank you for clearing that up for me.