Community Forum

Why can't I replace my lost phone? Without losing my phone number?

Regular Visitor

Why can't I replace my lost phone? Without losing my phone number?

Have been trying for days. Spent several hours with several different departments.
They can't sell me a new phone, without a new number.
I shouldn't have to give up a 15 year number to purchase another phone.
I've done this several times, with different providers.
Contributor

Re: Why can't I replace my lost phone? Without losing my phone number?

Port your number to google voice and you will always have it. I did it for my wife and have had no issues.. 

Official Employee

badbert1, we do not have the systems in place that would allow us to replace a phone with another on a preexisting line. This can also be seen as a device upgrade on a preexisting line. We are working on this and should have an upgrade program in place soon. 

KenF

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I just ran into the same problem.  

Valued Contributor

@ComcastKenF wrote:

badbert1, we do not have the systems in place that would allow us to replace a phone with another on a preexisting line. This can also be seen as a device upgrade on a preexisting line. We are working on this and should have an upgrade program in place soon. 

KenF

Are you saying that the only solution is for the customer to take his business to another carrier?

New Poster

I went into an Xfinity store today and they were able to help me replace my lost phone and keep my original cell phone number.

New Poster

@RVanderlip wrote:

I went into an Xfinity store today and they were able to help me replace my lost phone and keep my original cell phone number.

But you purchased a phone throught Xfinity, correct? 

The issue seems to be, if you lose your phone - you cannot purchase a cheap phone off of Ebay or borrow one from a friend to supplement the lost phone.  Either a new phone has to be purchased through Xfinity OR a new line has to be added with a new phone number. 

It seems this has been an issue since day one....and the 'fix' stated by the Xfinity rep @ComcastKenF  in an earlier thread from 2018, there still isn't a fix.  If I would have known this when I switched, 2 months ago, I would have not switched.  Fix your system or lose business. 

Regular Visitor

@bbernard wrote:

The issue seems to be, if you lose your phone - you cannot purchase a cheap phone off of Ebay or borrow one from a friend to supplement the lost phone.  Either a new phone has to be purchased through Xfinity OR a new line has to be added with a new phone number. 

This is not the issue the OP reported. There was no indication of an attempt to BYOD to an existing XM line. In fact, there was specific mention of being unable to buy a new phone from XM to use on the existing line.