Community Forum

Voicemail Alert

Contributor

Voicemail Alert

I am not receiving an alert when I have a voicemail. I did a few tests and I do receive an alert when I am connected to the internet. So, do we have to be using data or WiFi in order to receive an alert that we have a voicemail? This does not seem reasonable. Thanks.

Expert

Re: Voicemail Alert

You're correct about needing an internet connection, same as many apps. If you want to check for messages without the app, press and hold the 1 on the keypad.

https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/article/221758647/how-do-i-access-voicemail-on-my-android-pho...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

FWIW, I havent received voicemail since March 5th and I am told via chat that "there is known issue, check back in 24-48 hours".

Not great when this is my phone I use for work as a Sales Manager.

The message reads "the voicemailbox is not in service..." the callers trying to call me hear the same thing.

Contributor

@rightfooted wrote:

You're correct about needing an internet connection, same as many apps. If you want to check for messages without the app, press and hold the 1 on the keypad.

https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/article/221758647/how-do-i-access-voicemail-on-my-android-pho...

Are cellular data voicemail alerts and/or visual voicemail charged as data usage?  I would guess the answer would be "no" for both, as LTE calls aren't charged as data usage despite requiring cellular data.

Contributor

Wait, LTE calls don't count towards cellular data???
Problem Solver

Yes, VoLTE calls are free:

"How much do VoLTE calls cost?
You’ve got unlimited talk and text with Xfinity Mobile, so VoLTE voice calling is included at no additional charge."

https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/article/223323028/what-is-voice-over-lte-volte
Official Employee

pbr1912, some devices do require cellular data connection to get the voicemail notifications (iPhones for example). 

-Mike is correct, kamee2109. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

@ComcastKenF wrote:

pbr1912, some devices do require cellular data connection to get the voicemail notifications (iPhones for example). 

So that confirms what I mentioned on 3-18, namely that cell data usage is not charged for Voice Over LTE.  But can you also confirm whether the cell data used for iPhone visual voicemail usage (including alerts, transcriptions, and message downloads) is likewise free?  Thanks.

Regular Contributor

I am not taking that chance with my I phone, my cell data stays off and I just check my voice mail.

Official Employee

@ComcastKenF wrote:

So that confirms what I mentioned on 3-18, namely that cell data usage is not charged for Voice Over LTE.  But can you also confirm whether the cell data used for iPhone visual voicemail usage (including alerts, transcriptions, and message downloads) is likewise free?  Thanks.

Rick441, VoLTE isn't counted as data usage. To my knowledge, data used to get visual Voicemail is considered data usage. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.