Community Forum

Visual Voicemail and WiFi access to messages

New Poster

Visual Voicemail and WiFi access to messages

I hope you can help me out with setting up my voicemail for my new Samsung A50 phone bought last week at an xfinity store with xfinity mobile service.

1) The phone comes with a voice mail app (blue icon) that appears to function (for visual, i.e., badge, notification of messages received) only if the phone is on data rather than WiFi. I get a message badge notification only if I switch from a Wifi to a Data connection. I, of course, would like to know if I have messages when I am at home when I have my phone on a WiFi connection as it is important to me to know of and return calls promptly without having to constantly dial up the voicemail service. (I do receive audio notifications, but these are only useful if I am at the phone at the time the message is left.)

2) I have attempted to substitute the xfinity mobile visual voicemail app (white "winking" icon). I get no notifications from this app and if I select the app a screen appears saying that "There's nothing here," even when a message has been left for this phone number. This is the case whether the phone is connected to Data or to WiFi. The app requires that I subscribe to Xfinity Mobile which I do and have that app on the phone. (I have now uninstalled this app to avoid any conflicts with the installed app.)

3) Neither app allows for controlling its default app status in Settings, and the blue-icon app does not have an active "disable" button.

4) I installed the "white winking app," i.e., xfinity visual voicemail, on a different phone (LG) with a different number with xfinity service months ago, and it is working fine, giving me notifications via WiFi and data as appropriate. I have seen in other threads on this subject that receiving Voicemail notifications from Xfinity is impossible -- that they are available only with data --  but my other phone disproves that as a general rule.

Thanks for any help available!  I have written xfinity customer service but with no response. I look forward to getting this fixed so that I have full utilization of this phone using my WiFi connection, and ideally with visual voicemail.
Official Employee

Re: Visual Voicemail and WiFi access to messages

Hello @JimC52, thank you for reaching out on the forum with your concern, we appreciate it. There are 2 main points regarding voicemail for newer android devices with Xfinity Mobile (such as Galaxy A50, Samsung S10, Note 10, etc).

1. New android devices will use the default voicemail app that comes on the phone now and going forward. The Xfinity visual voicemail app is not compatible with the A50. That is why the app will not work on your device. The LG device that you mentioned might be an older model that is still compatible.

2. The native voicemail app for android devices does require mobile data to be on in order to retrieve voicemails. It will not receive any voicemails through the app with just wi-fi being on and data turned off. The Xfinity visual voicemail app did have the capability of getting voicemails without data turned on. Unfortunately data will be required on the native voicemail app.

You can always dial *86 to listen to any voicemails as well, and it will work with wi-fi only.

I hope this clears up your concerns, and please feel free to reach out directly with any questions. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Same phone. Same issue. No help from either Xfinity or Samsung.
New Poster

Thank you @ComcastTito. Your answer is thorough, though the result is disappointing.  Now I am wondering what would happen if I swap the phone numbers -- i.e., the SIM cards -- between my two smart phones as it is more important that my newest phone number notifies me immediately every time I get voicemail.  How complicated would mthat make life during the transition?! Thanks, again.