Community Forum

Using Xfinity Mobile Outside the US

Regular Contributor

Using Xfinity Mobile Outside the US

If I'm traveling outside the US, how do I call a number within the US? What about how to call a local number within a country outside the US? Do I need to activate Roam, or will Xfinity Mobile automaticlly connect to a service? Finally, what are the fees to use Xfinity Mobile outside the US?

Frequent Visitor

Re: Using Xfinity Mobile Outside the US

BUMP   Same question......Is there a link?

Contributor

Here is a link for information on international roaming as well calling and roaming rates for each country. 

https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/article/manage-international-settings

Your best bet of course is to keep your phone in airplane mode and connect to WiFi and use WiFi Calling. 

Regular Contributor

I use my LG cell phone only for talk and text. I keep mobile data off. If I do need to download something or update apps, I use wifi. I don't know why we have to use Data Roaming outside the US. Why can't we connect to a carrier outside the US without needing the data on?

@DaveO3 wrote:

Here is a link for information on international roaming as well calling and roaming rates for each country. 

https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/article/manage-international-settings

Your best bet of course is to keep your phone in airplane mode and connect to WiFi and use WiFi Calling. 

Contributor

Just returned from Canada and am offering these observations.

1. Make SURE you are on internet wen you make a call as the rate stays at 0.10/min. If not it goes to $6.00/min on another carrier. One call I made by mistake cost me $24.00!

2. Do not rely on the phone for data usage #.  My phone said I used .07 GB (.100 is free) but when bill came due XM said I used .25 GB! They got the $12.00 of course.  Apparantly, they calculate in the background in secret.  The data saver doesn't stop them. I have an Android S10e.

FYI

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@pgagale wrote:

Just returned from Canada and am offering these observations.

1. Make SURE you are on internet wen you make a call as the rate stays at 0.10/min. If not it goes to $6.00/min on another carrier. One call I made by mistake cost me $24.00!

2. Do not rely on the phone for data usage #.  My phone said I used .07 GB (.100 is free) but when bill came due XM said I used .25 GB! They got the $12.00 of course.  Apparantly, they calculate in the background in secret.  The data saver doesn't stop them. I have an Android S10e.

FYI

I found the below on https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/plan/international

Service rates while visiting Canada

TALK

$0.10

PER MIN

TEXT

$0.10

INTL

DATA

$0.05

PER MB

There is no mention of internet connection or "carrier" connection. Any thoughts?

Contributor

This looks like a mistake by Xfinity mobile. They are the ones who have the contracts with the carriers in Canada. So unless there is a contract I do not know how they could charge you.
Regular Visitor

I think that I made the mistake of leaving phone on LTE mode and it prioritized my connection to a non VOIP carrier. I was charged $8/min for the error. Other calls were charged per XM roaming.
Contributor

Our contracts are with Xfinity , not with any other carriers and should not connect directly with any non contract carriers.

Xfinity can only charge us our contracted rates. Xfinity needs to resolve the charges between Verizon their roaming partner and sub roaming partner.
Official Employee

Everyone, 

Thanks for posting! 

If roaming and data are enabled, you will connect to the cell towers in that country and be charged for service accordingly. When I travel overseas, I usually leave it on airplane mode/ only make calls when on wiFi calling and disable my phone's data altogether. Data can run in the background, so if the data is enabled and you can connect to a tower internationally, you can be charged the data rate of that country. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@ComcastKenF wrote:

Everyone, 

Thanks for posting! 

If roaming and data are enabled, you will connect to the cell towers in that country and be charged for service accordingly. When I travel overseas, I usually leave it on airplane mode/ only make calls when on wiFi calling and disable my phone's data altogether. Data can run in the background, so if the data is enabled and you can connect to a tower internationally, you can be charged the data rate of that country. 

I leave mobile data off here in the US. I only need calls and text, no data. Why are Roaming and data connected? If I need to make a call in Canada to a number in Canada, why can't we make calls with a carrier there without using data? 

Frequent Visitor

My understanding (as I enabled International roaming for an up-coming trip), I will be able to make NON-Wifi calls and TEXTs TO and recieve calls and TEXTs  FROM the USA at a cost of 10 cents per minute (or per TEXT message).  

As I configure my primary Moto7 phone  to only use DATA via WiFi here in the USA (and have incurred NO DATA CHRGES since I swithed to Xfinity Mobile),  am I not correct in assuming I should incur no DATA charges while in Europe?

FWIW: I anticipate very few to/from Europe calls but will obtain a chip for my "back up" Samsung phone for that purposes. I understand some Data is bundled with most European chips (even for short-term travel plans), so, such could be available in-a-pinch. 

FEEL FREE TO CORRECT if I'm mis-understanding ANY points!

Contributor

Jim,

1.) The roaming prices vary by country so you need to go to support in the Xfinity Mobile App or web page and search for International and select the countries you will be roaming in to get the applicable rates. For some countries WiFi Calling is less expensive while for others WiFi Calling is more expensive for Calling within the roaming country, whereas WiFi Calling back to the US is free. 

2.) In your settings be sure to toggle off roaming data

To All - If you are ever on a cruise ship be sure to toggle off roaming data as it costs $35,000 per GB. 

Regular Contributor

@DaveO3 wrote:

Jim,

1.) The roaming prices vary by country so you need to go to support in the Xfinity Mobile App or web page and search for International and select the countries you will be roaming in to get the applicable rates. For some countries WiFi Calling is less expensive while for others WiFi Calling is more expensive for Calling within the roaming country, whereas WiFi Calling back to the US is free. 

2.) In your settings be sure to toggle off roaming data

To All - If you are ever on a cruise ship be sure to toggle off roaming data as it costs $35,000 per GB. 

Are you suggesting that we can still connect with an international carrier even with roaming data turned off? On my cell phone, there is only one setting labelled "roaming data." On or off. I keep mobile data (a separate setting) turned off here in the US. I don't need data.

Contributor

VitaminE - It looks like Android devices usually only have a toggle for roaming data while iOS devices have one for roaming voice and one for roaming data. 

Regular Contributor

@DaveO3 wrote:

VitaminE - It looks like Android devices usually only have a toggle for roaming data while iOS devices have one for roaming voice and one for roaming data. 

Right.  My LG phone is Andriod. So if I want to use my cell phone in Canada, do I need roaming data on? Or will the phone automatically connect to a carrier in Canada without using data? Here in the US, I have mobile data off and roaming data off. I only use the phone for text and calls.

Contributor

@VitaminE wrote:

@DaveO3 wrote:

Right.  My LG phone is Andriod. So if I want to use my cell phone in Canada, do I need roaming data on? Or will the phone automatically connect to a carrier in Canada without using data? Here in the US, I have mobile data off and roaming data off. I only use the phone for text and calls.

Yes, you should automatically connect. If not, toggle Airplane mode off and then on again. Coverage will be best in bigger cities and near main highways. 

Official Employee

@ComcastKenF wrote:

Everyone, 

Thanks for posting! 

I leave mobile data off here in the US. I only need calls and text, no data. Why are Roaming and data connected? If I need to make a call in Canada to a number in Canada, why can't we make calls with a carrier there without using data? 

VitaminE, You can make calls to a foreign cell tower in another country. To your device isn't using data, please make sure your data/cellular data radio icon in your device settings is turned off. Additionally, you can call XFINITY Mobile support to have the team disable data Roaming abroad. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

@ComcastKenF wrote:
@ComcastKenF wrote:

Everyone, 

Thanks for posting! 

VitaminE, You can make calls to a foreign cell tower in another country. To your device isn't using data, please make sure your data/cellular data radio icon in your device settings is turned off. Additionally, you can call XFINITY Mobile support to have the team disable data Roaming abroad. 

Thanks for this info. I have an LG cell phone. It has a switch to turn on/off mobile data, and a switch to turn on/off roaming data. Two data swtiches. The confusion I still have is whether I need Roaming Data on in order to make calls in Canada.  I haven't checked if it's possible to have Roaming Data on and Mobile Data off.  But perhaps Mobile Data off only works with xfinity's carrier, Verizon. Just guessing...

Official Employee

VitaminE, data roaming applies to data. I have an android too. When I travel overseas, I leave my phone in airplane mode. Then I got back in and enable WiFi and WiFi calling. That way I can't use data at all or connect to a cell tower. Boommmmm! haha. 

Ken

Contributor

@VitaminE wrote:

@ComcastKenF wrote:
@ComcastKenF wrote:

Everyone, 

Thanks for posting! 

Thanks for this info. I have an LG cell phone. It has a switch to turn on/off mobile data, and a switch to turn on/off roaming data. Two data swtiches. The confusion I still have is whether I need Roaming Data on in order to make calls in Canada.  I haven't checked if it's possible to have Roaming Data on and Mobile Data off.  But perhaps Mobile Data off only works with xfinity's carrier, Verizon. Just guessing...

You do not need roaming data on to make calls. To be extra sure that you don’t use any roaming data keep it turned off. 

Regular Contributor

@ComcastKenF wrote:

VitaminE, data roaming applies to data. I have an android too. When I travel overseas, I leave my phone in airplane mode. Then I got back in and enable WiFi and WiFi calling. That way I can't use data at all or connect to a cell tower. Boommmmm! haha. 

Ken

Ken, So I guess the bottom line is that if I want to use my cell phone in Canada, I must have Data Roaming on.  I don't think about wifi in Canada...