Community Forum

Upgrade!

New Poster

Upgrade!

I have been with Xfinity mobile for 6+ months my iPhone 7 Plus is already paid off . I tried to upgrade to the iPhone X and was told I cannot even though I meet all the requirements because Xfinity mobile systems are not capable of offering upgrades to customers at this time . I was told the workaround would be to add another line use the phone on my current line however my phone will not be eligible for insurance and I will still have to pay an extra fee for another line . This is on acceptable and I am very dissatisfied .
Frequent Visitor

Re: Upgrade!

Interesting. I was going to start a thread of something related. My iPhone SE is shorting out after my toddler dropped it. I was planning on purchasing another Xfinity device off of eBay, but I wasn’t sure if it would work with all the features (personal hotspot, visual voicemail). Sounds like I may not be able to use it all?
Official Employee

Tang20, this is correct. At this time, we do not have a fully vamped upgrade program. At this time, most customers who are making payments on their device can upgrade after 1 year. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Interesting. I was going to start a thread of something related. My iPhone SE is shorting out after my toddler dropped it. I was planning on purchasing another Xfinity device off of eBay, but I wasn’t sure if it would work with all the features (personal hotspot, visual voicemail). Sounds like I may not be able to use it all?

Jrp1311, XFINITY Mobile only fully supports device purchased by XFINITY Mobile. If you are using an XFINITY Mobile device, the features will work. 

Please err on the side of caution when it comes to Ebay purchases. If you are buying from a trusted retailer, you must keep in mind that the IMEI must not be blocked for any reason in order for you to use the device at XFINITY Mobile (or anywhere). 

KenF

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Thanks, Ken. Just to confirm, if I purchase an Xfinity mobile device off of eBay and put my Xfinity sim in, the device and all of its features will work (provided the IMEI is clean)?

I would purchase another device through Xfinity directly, however since I just purchased my last phone in September through Xfinity, I’m looking to save a little money this time and go pre-owned. Good lesson to always sign up for the insurance!
Official Employee

As long as the IMEI is good, you should be set to go with that device, Jrp1311. It's a tricky situation though because if the original owner is still making payments on it and stops, that would prove a poor situation for you. It's a risk until we have a fully functioning BYOD program. 

Problem Solver

@ComcastKenF wrote:

As long as the IMEI is good, you should be set to go with that device, Jrp1311. It's a tricky situation though because if the original owner is still making payments on it and stops, that would prove a poor situation for you. It's a risk until we have a fully functioning BYOD program. 

FWIW: devices sold on eBay or Swappa are required to be paid off and not under contract.  In the unfortunate situation that you describe, the buyer would be entitled to a full refund from eBay or PayPal.  And they are very good about providing satisfaction in those types of cases.

Official Employee

ComcastKenF wrote:

FWIW: devices sold on eBay or Swappa are required to be paid off and not under contract.  In the unfortunate situation that you describe, the buyer would be entitled to a full refund from eBay or PayPal.  And they are very good about providing satisfaction in those types of cases.

Cool, I didn't know that. Thanks, cam30era. 

Frequent Visitor

Appreciate it, thanks Ken.
Official Employee

Appreciate it, thanks Ken.

Don't mention it. 

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for this info as well cam30era, much appreciated!
Problem Solver

Welcome.
Don't forget the cardinal rule when buying on eBay. You're buying the seller's reputation, not the merchandise.
New Poster

This make no sense at all ! I have paid for my phone in full and your telling me I still cannot upgrade. Well I will be leaving your company ASAP !
Official Employee

This make no sense at all ! I have paid for my phone in full and your telling me I still cannot upgrade. Well I will be leaving your company ASAP !

Sorry to hear that you will be leaving us. Upgrades are something our customers want and is something we are looking to implement in the future. 

KenF

Frequent Visitor

Absolutely. I purchased a phone from a seller with an excellet rating.  He reports the ESN is clear, but he doesnt know if the phone was on a payment plan, as he is a storefront. 

Do you by chance know where in ebay's policies it states the phone has to be free and clear? 

@cam30era wrote:
Welcome.
Don't forget the cardinal rule when buying on eBay. You're buying the seller's reputation, not the merchandise.

Bronze Problem Solver

@Jrp1311 wrote:

Absolutely. I purchased a phone from a seller with an excellet rating.  He reports the ESN is clear, but he doesnt know if the phone was on a payment plan, as he is a storefront. 

Do you by chance know where in ebay's policies it states the phone has to be free and clear? 

@cam30era wrote:
Welcome.

I see no policy that covers selling cell phones on ebay.

List of policies here: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/index.html

Best option is to be sure you are covered under seller's return policy. Ebay will protect you if item is not delivered, not as advertised, not functioning, etc etc

Problem Solver

@Jrp1311 wrote:

eBay policy states that:

"If you sell a service contract or a phone bundled with a required service contract, you need to:

Bronze Problem Solver

@cam30era wrote:

@Jrp1311 wrote:

eBay policy states that:

"If you sell a service contract or a phone bundled with a required service contract, you need to:

That policy is for selling a service contract or a phone bundled with a required service contract, it does not cover selling just a phone.

Highlighted
Problem Solver

@Tang20 wrote:
I have been with Xfinity mobile for 6+ months my iPhone 7 Plus is already paid off . I tried to upgrade to the iPhone X and was told I cannot even though I meet all the requirements because Xfinity mobile systems are not capable of offering upgrades to customers at this time . I was told the workaround would be to add another line use the phone on my current line however my phone will not be eligible for insurance and I will still have to pay an extra fee for another line . This is on acceptable and I am very dissatisfied .

So back to Tang20's original question about upgrading to an iPhone X directly from Xfinity, not eBay...

KenF, I understand the Xfinity doesn't have a complete upgrade program in place, but I think we've been over this in another thread of how it is possible to do it by adding another line and then canceling the existing line. I don't understand why Tang20 was told that the new phone wouldn't be eligible for insurance. That's not right, is it? And the extra fee for the second line should only apply for one month.

This is my understanding of the steps required for Tang20 to upgrade:

1) Order new phone and new line of service, with insurance if desired.

2) Request SIM unlock on old phone.

3) Port number from old Xfinity phone to new Xfinity phone and activate new phone.

4) Cancel old line of service (should be done automatically upon porting).

5) Sell old phone on open market. Xfinity will not pay anything to take back old phone.

The only real cost is the difference in price between a new phone and the market price of the old phone. Xfinity doesn't have any fees for adding a line of service and canceling the old one. You'd just have extra fees for one line of service for the one month when there is overlap due to stopping one line of service and starting another. That's only a few dollars if you're on by-the-gig. The process isn't ideal, but it doesn't seem that complicated either. Is there something I'm missing?

Bronze Problem Solver

@-Mike wrote:

@Tang20 wrote:

So back to Tang20's original question about upgrading to an iPhone X directly from Xfinity, not eBay...

KenF, I understand the Xfinity doesn't have a complete upgrade program in place, but I think we've been over this in another thread of how it is possible to do it by adding another line and then canceling the existing line. I don't understand why Tang20 was told that the new phone wouldn't be eligible for insurance. That's not right, is it? And the extra fee for the second line should only apply for one month.

This is my understanding of the steps required for Tang20 to upgrade:

1) Order new phone and new line of service, with insurance if desired.

2) Request SIM unlock on old phone.

3) Port number from old Xfinity phone to new Xfinity phone and activate new phone.

4) Cancel old line of service (should be done automatically upon porting).

5) Sell old phone on open market. Xfinity will not pay anything to take back old phone.

The only real cost is the difference in price between a new phone and the market price of the old phone. Xfinity doesn't have any fees for adding a line of service and canceling the old one. You'd just have extra fees for one line of service for the one month when there is overlap due to stopping one line of service and starting another. That's only a few dollars if you're on by-the-gig. The process isn't ideal, but it doesn't seem that complicated either. Is there something I'm missing?

The only reason I know of why insurance would not be available is if Tang20 is from NY. For some reason "XFINITY Mobile Protection Plan is currently unavailable to residents of New York".

The rest seems like a plan, Tang20 might even get more than Xf would give after their grading of the old phone. At least selling yourself, you get to set the price.

Official Employee

mvenanzi, all new purchases (in most states) are eligible to add insurance at the time of sale. 

At this time, we are not able to transfer lines to a new account. As far as porting a number to another line on your account--I haven't seen that done. I cannot be certain if that actually works. I'm not sure if this is considered a transfer of lines. 

While this sounds like a backdoor way of getting a new device, I would err on the side of caution with this. Some customers have to have a credit check run for each additional line of service so this may not be ideal for some customers.

Bronze Problem Solver

@ComcastKenF wrote:

mvenanzi, all new purchases (in most states) are eligible to add insurance at the time of sale. 

At this time, we are not able to transfer lines to a new account. As far as porting a number to another line on your account--I haven't seen that done. I cannot be certain if that actually works. I'm not sure if this is considered a transfer of lines. 

While this sounds like a backdoor way of getting a new device, I would err on the side of caution with this. Some customers have to have a credit check run for each additional line of service so this may not be ideal for some customers.

Xf mobile site just rules out NY for insurance, what other states are excluded?

As far as porting existing xf line to a new one, if my current xf phone dies and I don't have insurance, I would think I could buy a new xf phone and port the old xf phone number to the new phone. Is this not possible? Would I have to loose my current number?

Untitled.png

Official Employee

It is only New York that is unable. For all residents of NY, benefits may also be purchased separately through an insurance program that offers coverage in the event of loss, theft, or accidental damage and is underwritten by American Security Insurance Company for $8 per month, and through an extended service contract that offers coverage against mechanical breakdown for $5 per month.

I do not know if that is possible or not. Customers on the forums who have had that happen to them have just added another line and got a new phone that way (and put the one line on By the Gig and the other on Unlimited, for example). That is another option. 

Bronze Problem Solver

@ComcastKenF wrote:

It is only New York that is unable. For all residents of NY, benefits may also be purchased separately through an insurance program that offers coverage in the event of loss, theft, or accidental damage and is underwritten by American Security Insurance Company for $8 per month, and through an extended service contract that offers coverage against mechanical breakdown for $5 per month.

I do not know if that is possible or not. Customers on the forums who have had that happen to them have just added another line and got a new phone that way (and put the one line on By the Gig and the other on Unlimited, for example). That is another option. 

The new line would have a new number though. Could you please find out if porting existing xfm number to a new xf phone is possible? If I had insurance and had to have my phone replaced due to damage, does the existing number go to the replacement phone? Your example means I would have to keep paying for a line with no usable phone.

Valued Contributor

I thought mvenanzi was asking about whether it’s possible to transfer a phone number from a lost/stolen/dead phone to another line. Back in August in this two-line swap scenario it is possible according to KenF. That too seems to me a reasonable backdoor-ish upgrade path if OP just adds a new line with the new phone he/she wants and swaps the phone numbers, and eventually cancels the original line. 

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-Mobile/Is-it-possible-to-get-a-new-sim-card/td-p/2952773

Bronze Problem Solver

@SunnyRadGal wrote:

I thought mvenanzi was asking about whether it’s possible to transfer a phone number from a lost/stolen/dead phone to another line. Back in August in this two-line swap scenario it is possible according to KenF. That too seems to me a reasonable backdoor-ish upgrade path if OP just adds a new line with the new phone he/she wants and swaps the phone numbers, and eventually cancels the original line. 

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-Mobile/Is-it-possible-to-get-a-new-sim-card/td-p/2952773

Yes, that is What I was asking, but swapping numbers might be to much to ask from xfm at this time. Porting a number is already built into the order process, so porting from one xf phone line to a new one should be do'able. Once the port happens, the old line would automatically be cancelled from what I've read in this forum.

Official Employee

SunnyRadGal, in that post I was referencing updating the sim card of a preexisting line, not porting over a preexisting line with an XM number. 

mvenanzi, I've asked a colleague and was notified that what you are requesting cannot be done. Even outside XFINITY Mobile, porting over an activated line is hit or miss. Deferred ports often fail as the port process is built to be done at the time of activation. 

Bronze Problem Solver

@ComcastKenF wrote:

SunnyRadGal, in that post I was referencing updating the sim card of a preexisting line, not porting over a preexisting line with an XM number. 

mvenanzi, I've asked a colleague and was notified that what you are requesting cannot be done. Even outside XFINITY Mobile, porting over an activated line is hit or miss. Deferred ports often fail as the port process is built to be done at the time of activation. 

Why would it be a deferred port? The old line is still active, just the phone is not functioning.

Official Employee

ComcastKenF wrote:

Why would it be a deferred port? The old line is still active, just the phone is not functioning.

I assumed you meant taking the old line and porting on the new line after the new line is activated. That is considered a deferred port. I noticed I got a little ahead of myself. Apologies. 

Either way, we can't port an XFINITY Mobile number onto an XFINITY Mobile line. 

KenF

Bronze Problem Solver

@ComcastKenF wrote:

I assumed you meant taking the old line and porting on the new line after the new line is activated. That is considered a deferred port. I noticed I got a little ahead of myself. Apologies. 

KenF

Wow, so if my phone dies I loose my number?

Then how is a replacement phone using an insurace claim or a new phone using the upgrade policy work? Would I loose my existing number?

Official Employee

ComcastKenF wrote:

KenF

Then how is a replacement phone using an insurace claim or a new phone using the upgrade policy work? Would I loose my existing number?

If your phone is lost or stolen and you do not have insurance, you do not have many options, unfortunately. I have seen customers add a new line and then take their new device (from the new line) and put their sim card from their previous line into the new device so they can utilize their phone number. That is one option. 

The phone does not carry your phone number. The Sim card within the phone carries the phone number. If your phone is lost, your number isn't lost. We can get you a replacement sim card that will have your number on it. Updating your sim card, deactivates your previous sim card. 

If you have insurance, roughly the same applies. The insurance company will replace your device. If you have your old sim card, you can place it in the new insurance device and use your number as normal. Or we can send you a new sim card (or you can pick one up) and we can place your number on the new sim card to go in the new device. 

KenF

Bronze Problem Solver

@ComcastKenF wrote:
@ComcastKenF wrote:

KenF

If your phone is lost or stolen and you do not have insurance, you do not have many options, unfortunately. I have seen customers add a new line and then take their new device (from the new line) and put their sim card from their previous line into the new device so they can utilize their phone number. That is one option. 

The phone does not carry your phone number. The Sim card within the phone carries the phone number. If your phone is lost, your number isn't lost. We can get you a replacement sim card that will have your number on it. Updating your sim card, deactivates your previous sim card. 

If you have insurance, roughly the same applies. The insurance company will replace your device. If you have your old sim card, you can place it in the new insurance device and use your number as normal. Or we can send you a new sim card (or you can pick one up) and we can place your number on the new sim card to go in the new device. 

KenF

Yes I've read a few threads like that, but swapping sims usually has lead to lost features.

In the lost phone scenario you mention, would a replacement sim be do'able on a line that does not have insurance and I bought a new phone from xf?.

Official Employee

Swapping sims to non XFINITY Mobile devices have lead to lost features. I haven't had many people on the forums report the same of XFINITY Mobile device to XFINITY Mobile device. Anyways, I was just listed it as a hypothetical option. 

I think I understand your question-- let me know if I missed it. A replacement sim can be replaced on  any line, regardless if any of the lines have insurance. For certain signal issues, replacing the sim is a troubleshooting step, so it is not a foreign process. Insurance or lack of insurance, doesn't bar you from replacing your sim card. 

Bronze Problem Solver

@ComcastKenF wrote:

Swapping sims to non XFINITY Mobile devices have lead to lost features. I haven't had many people on the forums report the same of XFINITY Mobile device to XFINITY Mobile device. Anyways, I was just listed it as a hypothetical option. 

I think I understand your question-- let me know if I missed it. A replacement sim can be replaced on  any line, regardless if any of the lines have insurance. For certain signal issues, replacing the sim is a troubleshooting step, so it is not a foreign process. Insurance or lack of insurance, doesn't bar you from replacing your sim card. 

Ok I think we have something here.  So if my phone is lost, damaged, or stolen, I could buy a new xf phone and get a replacement sim that would allow my new phone to work with all features and my original number?

Official Employee

ComcastKenF wrote:

Ok I think we have something here.  So if my phone is lost, damaged, or stolen, I could buy a new xf phone and get a replacement sim that would allow my new phone to work with all features and my original number?

Technically, yes. Like I said, I haven't come across real life applications from users on the forums, but you need an XFINITY Mobile phone for the features to work properly and you will need either the original sim card or an updated sim card to have access to your number. 

Bronze Problem Solver

@ComcastKenF wrote:
@ComcastKenF wrote:

Technically, yes. Like I said, I haven't come across real life applications from users on the forums, but you need an XFINITY Mobile phone for the features to work properly and you will need either the original sim card or an updated sim card to have access to your number. 

That makes me feel a little better for my phone.

So can't the OP do the same, say phone was damaged and buy new phone with a updated replacement sim to get same number?

Official Employee

ComcastKenF wrote:
@ComcastKenF wrote:

That makes me feel a little better for my phone.

So can't the OP do the same, say phone was damaged and buy new phone with a updated replacement sim to get same number?

Yes, assuming the XFINITY Mobile phone works fine in real life. That would be an option. I have a customer on the forums who is testing this out on Friday and will let me know if it works for sure. 

Bronze Problem Solver

Please let us know how it goes.....thanks

Official Employee

Sure thing. 

New Poster

I have had xfinity mobile since Aug. I understood that I have to wait 12 months to upgrade, but I didn't get the insurance, my question is what will the upgrade fees be?
Bronze Problem Solver

@Partaun78 wrote:
I have had xfinity mobile since Aug. I understood that I have to wait 12 months to upgrade, but I didn't get the insurance, my question is what will the upgrade fees be?

"Customers without the XFINITY Mobile Protection Plan can pay a fee to upgrade after 12 months. iPhone users pay $30 to upgrade, and customers with a Samsung Galaxy S7, S7 Edge, S8, or S8+ pay $70 to upgrade"

Source: https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/article/115003084788/how-do-i-upgrade-my-phone

Official Employee

They got the phone and it works. I had to realign some features on the backend, but it works as intended.