Community Forum

Unlocking nightmare!

Frequent Visitor

Unlocking nightmare!

I requested my device to be unlocked a month ago. The request went through except it was for the wrong imei. I called to have it corrected and they reopened the ticket. The ticket closed and the incorrect device was still unlocked. I just had yet another ticket open for this. And now I’m being told it’s going to be escalated from tier 2 to 3. It can’t be this difficult to unlock a device. THE CORRECT ONE.
Contributor

Re: Unlocking nightmare!

I can relate to your frustration. It took me 10 days to get the correct network unlock code. The first one came after 8 days and was the wrong one - whether it was for the wrong IMEI or someone mixed up MCK code with NCK code I had no idea - talked to another support rep on day 9 who took the initiative to reach out directly to the individual who looked up the code the first time. The next morning I received the correct code. As you said, this should not be so difficult. I requested network unlock on multiple AT&T phones over the years, it never took more than 24 hours. Just hang in there, I am sure it will be resolved eventually like it did in my case.

Official Employee

Hi Moni_013, do you have the ticket number that was generated for the unlock? If so please send me a private message with that info so I can check on the status. 

Regular Contributor

Well, even when you do get your phone unlocked, the nightmare may continue.

I activated my XM LG phone in a chat session, asked for the unlock code, and received it in under a minute.

I powered the phone down, and swapped in my Sprint SIM. When the LG booted up it asked me for the unlock code which I supplied and it unlocked successfully. But I can't get the phone to do anything. There is a drop down message available at the top of the screen that says the SIM is not from Xfinity Mobile, replace it with one.

Now what?

Contributor

gderf wrote:

I activated my XM LG phone in a chat session, asked for the unlock code, and received it in under a minute.

I powered the phone down, and swapped in my Sprint SIM. When the LG booted up it asked me for the unlock code which I supplied and it unlocked successfully. But I can't get the phone to do anything. There is a drop down message available at the top of the screen that says the SIM is not from Xfinity Mobile, replace it with one.

Now what?

A few things:

1. The message on the notification panel about using an Xfinity Mobile SIM, that is baked into the firmware. On my unlocked S8 it only showed up when the phone was powered cycled and was harmless.

2. In terms of compatibility, you could not have picked the worst carrier to test on. The LG phone you are referring to is presumably a M322 (Xfinity Mobile variant of LG X Charge) supports all 3 Verizon LTE bands, 3 of 4 AT&T LTE bands, 3 of 4 T-Mobile LTE bands already deployed (the carrier is rolling out a 5th one), and 0 (ZERO) of Sprint LTE bands. In terms of CDMA bands, M322 covers 2 of 2 Verizon bands as it should, but only 1 of 2 Sprint bands. In other words, the phone is mostly crippled on Sprint anyway. A much better test would be on AT&T or T-Mobile's network.

3. If you bought it for $1 during the current promotion, then you are only $1 out of pocket 

Valued Contributor

gderf wrote:

Now what?

I got on chat this morning to request the unlock code for 1 of the 2 X-Charge phones I recently ordered. The nice XM rep Sonia provided me the code within 5 mins after she verified my information. I inserted the AT&T SIM card, was asked for the unlock code and right after I entered the code, I got the message the unlock was successful. Did you also get a message like this? I suggest you contact Sprint with the IMEI number of the phone to have them run a check to see if the phone is compatible with Sprint or to add it to Sprint's whitelist.

You will need to understand that there is no such thing as phone lock/unlock in CDMA world. Phone lock/unlock applies only to GSM carriers such as AT&T and T-Mobile. In CDMA, it's whether the phone is not blacklisted and be on the whitelist of the mobile carrier to work with that carrier. Therefore, unlocking a Verizon phone will allow you to use it on GSM but it does not guarrantee the phone will work OK with other CDMA carriers (Sprint). You'll need to make sure the phone is on the Sprint's whitelist, too.

Regular Contributor

It's no big deal that putting that Sprint SIM in the XM LG did not work. I was just trying it. The Sprint SIM came out of my unlocked iPhone 7. The reverse does work but not fully. My XM LG SIM mostly works in my unlocked iPhone 7 Plus. The only things that don't work are tethering, and maybe YouMail which I didn't bother trying to reconfigure. This was just a test also.

The Sprint service I have is their free service for one year promo. Unlimited calls,texts, and data for one year. I just pay $3.83/mo taxes and fees. It's OK but the data is slow. However, XM data isn't any faster. Very surprizing as I am in a major metro area. I had metro PCS before Sprint and it smoked. 100/9+ speed tests were not unusual. 

As for the LG XM, it's on a new number that nobdy has, and it's powered off with the SIM card removed, and back in the box. I'll keep it there as a spare and gladly pay $2.21/mo taxes and fees to do that. Once XM starts a BYOD plan that will take that phone, I'll cancel the service and activate again as a BYOD if and when I need that spare phone.

Regular Contributor

When putting my Sprint SIM in the LG I got the unlock box popup and put in the code.

What I have learned is that my Sprint SIM card is locked to the IEMI number of the phone I activated service with them on. That's what keeps it from working in the LG, and I don't really care anyway. It was just a test.

I did a BYOD into Sprint, my SIM-free unlocked iPhone 7 Plus. BYOD into Sprint on their free service for one year plan has a very short list of phones they will accept and the LG isn't on it so I would'nt even bother asking them to do this, and I have found out already that it can't possibly work anyway as the bands don't line up between that service and that phone.

New Poster

I would like you to check on my ticket. I have already contacted a lawyer on my issues. I have been on the phone with Xfinity Mobile for hours trying to get my phone unlocked and everything on my end is in order. They just keep telling me that I the system says N/A when trying to retrieve my unlock code. The big problem is I have paid almost $700 for a Samsung Galaxy S7 Cell phone through Xfintiy Mobile and I can't do anything with it. So I feel like it is a deal where if I don't use Xfintiy Mobile I cant have my device. Xfinity Mobile is holding my device ransom. 

My ticket number on this matter that I was given by a supervisor the last time I spoke with xfinity mobile is 13046578. Like I said this has been a very long process and I have even started with a lawyer to see what I can do. Any help would be appreciated if you can provide it. I found this article proving I'm not the only one having issues like this and it's wrong. I still have not received a call back from the "Tier 2 Team" who is supposed to be able to help me.

You can reach me at donniemelton24@gmail.com for any extra information you may need.

Contributor

The LG X Charge will work on ATT and T-Mobile after it has been unlocked using the suppiled code from Xfinity. But I hope you like Edge service maybe HSPA but not even HSPA+. The Charge will also work on Mintsim (also T-Mobile) Republic Wireless and Cricket(ATT) but on any of these services will you won't get anything above HSPA. After finished exploring firmware in my Charge I'll understand why it seems some bands are crippled.

New Poster

No they also won't reactivate the phone one their network you have to buy a new one
Official Employee

close old thread