Community Forum

Unlocked Xfinity LG X Charge won't work on Sprint

Frequent Visitor

Unlocked Xfinity LG X Charge won't work on Sprint

I got my code to unlock my X Charge from Xfinity, I put in a Sprint sim card, turned on the phone, put in the code, it said it "successfully unlocked" the phone, but then said it was not a valid sim, and would not work. The sim card is good, it's from my Sprint phone and works fine.
Does anyone know how I can make it work? The X Charge is on Sprint's list for being compatible.
Tags (1)
Valued Contributor

Re: Unlocked Xfinity LG X Charge won't work on Sprint

A SIM card issued by Sprint will be locked to the phone it was issued for. It will not work in any other phone.

Frequent Visitor

Ok, I'll get a new one, hopefully it will work, thanks!
Frequent Visitor

I went to Sprint to get a new sim card, the agent tried, but the system wouldn't allow the phone to be added. I'm not sure where to go from here, I would appreciate any more advice, thanks!
Regular Contributor

The issue may be a flag on the phone.  

Run the phone's IMEI through the checker at Tello.com which is a Sprint MVNO and see if it is eligible to activate.

If it will activate on Tello but not on Sprint then the problem is the one mentioned above.  A knowledgeable Sprint employee can possibly resolve that issue.

Valued Contributor

Just because a phone can be unlocked doesn't make it pysically compatible with every network. The firmware (software) loaded into the phone and the physical hardware (radio bands and antennae) in the phone is what makes it compatible.

I have read that the XM LG X Charge phones are highly limited in capability. I tried to use mine from XM (unlocked) with a TMobile SIM card and it would not work even though it booted without any errors. I put my Sprint SIM in it too, and like yours it threw an error.

The best chance of your LG working on another network would be on Verizon since XM is a Verizon MVNO. But this cannot be guaranteed. In fact, I just checked the IMEI of my unlocked XM LG X Charge with Verizon and it was not accepable.

Valued Contributor

@Meitheamh wrote:

The issue may be a flag on the phone.  

Run the phone's IMEI through the checker at Tello.com which is a Sprint MVNO and see if it is eligible to activate.

If it will activate on Tello but not on Sprint then the problem is the one mentioned above.  A knowledgeable Sprint employee can possibly resolve that issue.

That Tello check isn't especially  reliable.

I put the IMEI number from my unlocked iPhone 7 Plus (which I bought as SIM Free unlocked from the Apple store) and was previously used on Sprint and it was not accepted. I am currently using this phone on XM via BYOD. I then put the IMEI number into Sprint's checker and it was accepted, as it should be.

The Tello check also rejected my unlocked XM LG X Charge phone.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check with tello, it should be good, I bought it brand new. I bought 5, sold 1 to a friend, and gave 1 to my Dad, they both have Verizon, and both work with no problems. There is someone on the Sprint forum helping me, I'll keep you posted, if it doesn't work, hopefully I can sell them and by something that does.
Frequent Visitor

The people, (employees ), on the Sprint forum have been very helpful, they took all my phone info, and put in ticket to have it added to their system. I'll know in about a week how it works out, I'll keep you posted.
Valued Contributor

Good luck, but I do not think that the XM version of the LG X Charge has the correct radio bands to work with Sprint. It may work partially though.

Frequent Visitor

That may be thd case, but its good to know that there's a way to get the phone added to the network, the employees at the sprint store were less than helpful.
Valued Contributor

What does "get the phone added to the network" mean?

Regular Contributor

Normally lg specially but normally verizon and sprint does not play well with each other normally lg wise the devices are lacking needed radio bands and such 

Off top of my head i dont know the exact bands it needs to have but you can compare each model and see if they both offer same bands and such  thats where I would start

Valued Contributor

I can tell you the bands that are going to wind up mattering in this case, those for LTE usage.

Sprint runs LTE on bands 25, 26, and 41.

The XM version of the LG X Charge phone has LTE bands 2, 4, 5, and 13.

One word summary: Hopeless.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

yea normally high end sprint lg device like g series and v series are pretty compatible  but verizon versions  offered theirs unlocked  but crippled   so yea take it where evr but jokes on you its not compatible

Thats  why i switched to samsung S series  they have all bands in them mostly  and can carrier flash each carrier firmware for "optimization" as long as the device is sim unlocked

So ya know I am a XDA developers moderator and junk I have over 5500 posts there  I do know  a bit about android lol