Community Forum

Unlocked LG X Charge Won't Connect to T-Mobile LTE

New Poster

Unlocked LG X Charge Won't Connect to T-Mobile LTE

Hi,

I'm experiencing a problem with my network unlocked LG X Charge. When I put in a T-Mobile SIM, I cannot get the phone to stay on T-Mobile's LTE network. It will connect momentarily then invariably drop down to 2G after maybe 10-15 seconds. I tried updating the firmware, a ton of troubleshooting steps including manually setting the APN settings for T-Mobile, changing the data settings, and calling XFINITY Mobile and T-Mobile support, but I can't seem to get it to work normally.

One exception is when I set the Network Mode to LTE/CDMA. It will connect to LTE and stay connected, but because there's no GSM, I cannot make or receive phone calls.

Anyone else able to get this phone to work with T-Mobile's network? I would like to keep this phone and the XFInity Mobile service as a backup, but I can't seem to get it to a state in which it's fully functional.

Official Employee

Re: Unlocked LG X Charge Won't Connect to T-Mobile LTE

JWH17, T-Mobile runs on GSM. Have you tried to set the network mode to GSM/CDMA/LTE auto or GMS only? 

Do you have the exact details for the T-Mobile APN settings?

APN: fast.t-mobile.com for example? You'll also need the proper MCC, MNC, and APN protocol.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

@ComcastKenF wrote:

JWH17, T-Mobile runs on GSM. Have you tried to set the network mode to GSM/CDMA/LTE auto or GMS only? 

APN: fast.t-mobile.com for example? You'll also need the proper MCC, MNC, and APN protocol.

Thank you, Ken, for your reply!

Yes, I have tried each of the available network modes to no success. When I set it to the mode with GSM, that is when I get the behavior where the phone momentarily connects to LTE then goes down to 2G. I mentioned in my original post that LTE/CDMA does allow me to stay connected to LTE permanently, but as you correctly stated, T-Mobile is GSM, and therefore phone calls will not work. I have also tried automatically searching for networks and selecting the T-Mobile LTE option. I get the same behavior where the phone only momentarily connects to LTE.

I used the APN settings on this page. I also called T-Mobile support and had them confirm the APN settings. I went through quite a bit of troubleshooting with them, but they could not resolve the problem even after trying some tools on their end.

XFINITY Mobile support then referred me to LG Support, who said they do not support connectivity issues. I have made a similar thread on other sites with at least a few others confirming this behavior as well. Can you think of anything else to try that I might not have attempted yet? I am more than happy to provide screenshots, a video, logs, whatever might be helpful in this case.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Problem Solver

It appears from the following TMO forum that others are having the same issue as you > https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/6y8w1m/lg_x_charge_on_tmobile/

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Ken, I see you 'know-your-stuff' when it comes to the LG-X-Charge M322 .

I sent you a PM about using mine as a Hotspot .

I can wait, know you take weekends off .

P.S. didn't know this phone did CDMA + GSM, cool ... 

Official Employee

ComcastKenF wrote:

Thank you, Ken, for your reply!

Yes, I have tried each of the available network modes to no success. When I set it to the mode with GSM, that is when I get the behavior where the phone momentarily connects to LTE then goes down to 2G. I mentioned in my original post that LTE/CDMA does allow me to stay connected to LTE permanently, but as you correctly stated, T-Mobile is GSM, and therefore phone calls will not work. I have also tried automatically searching for networks and selecting the T-Mobile LTE option. I get the same behavior where the phone only momentarily connects to LTE.

I used the APN settings on this page. I also called T-Mobile support and had them confirm the APN settings. I went through quite a bit of troubleshooting with them, but they could not resolve the problem even after trying some tools on their end.

XFINITY Mobile support then referred me to LG Support, who said they do not support connectivity issues. I have made a similar thread on other sites with at least a few others confirming this behavior as well. Can you think of anything else to try that I might not have attempted yet? I am more than happy to provide screenshots, a video, logs, whatever might be helpful in this case.

Thanks,

Jonathan

JWH17, Sure. When talking about internet speeds/capability/network settings to an unlocked phone and another network, it usually comes down to the APN setting. Do you have an APN auto feature on your device? 

There is another APN address that T-Mobile used years ago when they first began using unlocked iPhones on their network. It wasn't fast.t-mobile.com. This was a few years before this setting. I forget what the address was. Did you come across another APN address/Try another address? 

cam30era, might have pointed out a larger issue: 

It appears from the following TMO forum that others are having the same issue as you > https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/6y8w1m/lg_x_charge_on_tmobile/

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

Hi, Just wondering if you find any solution on this issue. I'm facing same problem & tried different options but nothing is working so far. Thanks!

@JWH17 wrote:

Hi,

I'm experiencing a problem with my network unlocked LG X Charge. When I put in a T-Mobile SIM, I cannot get the phone to stay on T-Mobile's LTE network. It will connect momentarily then invariably drop down to 2G after maybe 10-15 seconds. I tried updating the firmware, a ton of troubleshooting steps including manually setting the APN settings for T-Mobile, changing the data settings, and calling XFINITY Mobile and T-Mobile support, but I can't seem to get it to work normally.

One exception is when I set the Network Mode to LTE/CDMA. It will connect to LTE and stay connected, but because there's no GSM, I cannot make or receive phone calls.

Anyone else able to get this phone to work with T-Mobile's network? I would like to keep this phone and the XFInity Mobile service as a backup, but I can't seem to get it to a state in which it's fully functional.

@JWH17 wrote:

Hi,

Official Employee

PrashantPatil, did you reach out to T-Mobile regarding the other APN address I was referring to?

Contributor

The phones are partially unlocked, I cofirmed this with LG. Comcast will issue you an unlock code and it will unlock it to were you can put another providers sim in it and it will be accepted. The problem is that Xfinity has crippled the radios inside the phone so that it will lock on to 4G then maybe drop to 3G and can drop down to Edge or HSPA or HSPA+. It will not remain stable for long you may get minutes or maybe a day of connectivity but will drop sooner or later. If you do a factory reset using the volume down button and power and wipe the phone and start with another providers sim in the phone it will tell you that is an incorrect sim and will tell you to put the Xfinity Mobile sim in. Once you reset the phone you can take the Xfinity sim out and put another providers sim in but you will never get it to remain stable. The sims that we tried on a LG X Charge were T-Mobile, Cricket, Mintsim, Republic Wireless, Verizon worked the best but even that had problems. Call LG and talk to them, call durning the morning and you will probably get someone that knows their stuff and you have a good chance of understanding them.

Contributor

This is really sad. Normally mobile company keeps disconuted device locked for 6 to12 month to recover discount provided by company. If user leave before that period, then does not get return of their investment. if user stays, then company get discont moneny back over the time and user get full device access so win win for both.

In this case if user invest $180 for LG-X device and stay for 12 month, then after 12 month user has still not full device access.

On top of that user can't sell to other (with less price) user who want to use Xfinity but don't want to by at full price because there is no way to get SIM card for old Xfinity device.

Is this the case for all other devices like iPhone or Samsung? Are those fully unlockable?

Official Employee

pashvin, we do not have that kind of policy. Customers can request an unlock code/request at any time as long as the account is current and there haven't been an unprocessed device exchange. 

Contributor

Yes, xfinity is unlocking device without holding customer on contract which is great.

But what is the use of unlocking LG-X chagre if it does not work with other provider ?

I would rather be OK to force user for 3/6 month for full unlock. if user leave before, then that is user's choice.

I wanted to buy this device and I was Ok with $180 cost because I know this device will work

great with GSM and CDMA so If I leave Xfinity , then at least I have return of my $180 investment.

But now no matter I leave or stay longer , $180 investment if no use.

If you are saying Xfinity is not partially unlocking and claim of partial unlock is false, then is there any way to contact tech support and find out what is the fix for these LTE issue?

Official Employee

Yes, xfinity is unlocking device without holding customer on contract which is great.

But what is the use of unlocking LG-X chagre if it does not work with other provider ?

I would rather be OK to force user for 3/6 month for full unlock. if user leave before, then that is user's choice.

I wanted to buy this device and I was Ok with $180 cost because I know this device will work

great with GSM and CDMA so If I leave Xfinity , then at least I have return of my $180 investment.

But now no matter I leave or stay longer , $180 investment if no use.

If you are saying Xfinity is not partially unlocking and claim of partial unlock is false, then is there any way to contact tech support and find out what is the fix for these LTE issue?

I do not believe this is a full unlock or partial unlock issue. Because T-Mobile, in this example, is a GSM network and XFINITY Mobile is CDMA, we have to tweek the right APN settings to achieve LTE capability--if at all possible. 

If the device was not unlocked, no service would work--not even calls, but that is not the case here. 

Contributor

KenF,

I tried every APN setting (on my friend device) and as you can see in other forum with the same APN setting if device is set to LTE/CDMA, then it holds LTE connection but then you can't make call because

that is not the correct setting. If we put on Global or LTE/GSM/.. setting , then can make call but does not hold LTE signal. This is true for t-mobile and att.

Cricket wireless which is att provider has the same LG-X (model number differnt because of carrier name) which works fine with ATT sim card.

So if Xfinity is saying there is nothing like partial or full unlock and device is fully unlocked. LG shows this device is fully capable of LTE/GSM support.

APN settings are correct and all Xfinity LG-X has the same issue that means there is something wrong somewhere.

I have this device from my friend and I wanted to activate on Xfinity but I know that is not possible today so I was ready to spend $180 assuming this is good device

and can be used later with other provider but knowing this I feel now not making $180 investment (need 3 lines) and wait until BOYD support and not buy device from

Xfinity. Other devices are costly so this is the only one option for me to try Xfinity mobile.

Is there any way Xfinity tech support can take to this LG support and find out what is going on and if issue can be fixed using software update, then get that for Xfinity LG-X charge users?

Contributor

LG X charge(M327)

for Cricket

Differences from the main variant:

• Talk time:
    • 20.00 hours
      the average is 20 h (1218 min)
  • GSM:
    • 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
  • UMTS:
    • 850, 1700/2100, 1900 MHz
  • LTE (FDD):
    • Bands 2, 4, 5, 12

LG X charge(M322)

for Xfinity Mobile

Differences from the main variant:

• Talk time:
    • 28.00 hours
      the average is 20 h (1218 min)
  • CDMA:
    • 800, 1900 MHz
  • GSM:
    • 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
  • UMTS:
    • 850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz
  • LTE (FDD):
    • Bands 2, 4, 5, 12

It has the same bands and frequencies as the Cricket branded X Charge and more but can't work on there system reliably as confirmed after many attempts with apn settings, same is true with the other carriers that I mentioned. We had hours with the providers tech support and no one was able to figure it out (YET). One possibilty is to root the phone but that isn't for the average person unless they want a paper weight. But this all seems to be a really big hassel for a phone that is supposed to be unlock with the requested code.

Contributor

The only thing developer community can do is to find out way to load M327 firmware or any other custom firmware into M322 to make this device usable.

But that requires hours of research.

Discussion with only Xfinity support engineer will not work as they are not expert of the device.

Discusson with only LG support will not work becase they supplied this device to xfinity and this is not direct factory buy from LG so they will not support us directly.

But if Xfinity support engineer can talk to LG support (Am sure that relation is there as LG made this device special for Xfinity), then there is a possiblity.

Xfinity, will you help us?

Contributor

That is pretty much what the people at LG said in a polite way, they have a base unit then spec it out for the provider. Beyond that it out of their hands. I had purchased a Moto E Plus 4th gen and a Moto G5s Plus during a holiday sale at Motorola (directly) unlocked and you can drop any sim in them and they work and so far all the providers options have appeared ie: WiFi calling, Visual VoiceMail and such.

Official Employee

PrashantPatil and pashvin, I can reach out to Tier 2 support for insight on this. I will say, that when it comes to functionality on other networks, we may get a response that you must reach out to the other carrier for the proper setting. Either way, we can try. Please send me a private message with your full name, account number and address for help. 

Contributor

I wish I knew I was throwing away 540.00 on 3 Xfinity only LG X Charges before I signed up. 

Contributor

I still feel Xfinity is blocking this. This is nothing to do with phone. See my latest experiment with iPhone.

I have Verizon Android phone but BOYD not supported so I brought Verizon iphone 5 just for activation.

Before activating iphone , I used minsim (t-mobile) GSM sim in that phone. No need to change network setting and LTE + voice worked nice.

Then I went to Xfinity store and activated iphone 5 with Xfinity. Store people need to spend ~10-15 minute to program verizon network on iphone.

In 15 minute I walked out with phone activated and working with LTE + Voice without any issue.

Came home and put Xfinity card in Android Verizon phone and LTE + Voice worked without any issue. Checked Xfinity mobile account and that also changed from iPhone to Android.

Now the surprize comes on iPhone. I put mint sim back on iPhone and I got voice but only 4G signal. I did network reset. Try to enter correct APN setting but no help.

So something programmed under Verizon network setting and once it is activated there, it does not come back to GSM + LTE.

I did not try full iphone reset yet but I still feel network reset should be good enough.

I think the same thing is happning to LG X. Once it is activated with Xfinity, then going back to GSM gets only 4G.

Does anyone else has iPhone 5 on xfinity and GSM sim and can try putting GSM sim and see they are getting LTE or 4G? (just to see if this theory is correct or not). 

Regular Visitor

What do you mean you got voice but only "4G"? "4G" is LTE. You mean you got voice but no data? Or you got only 3G or lower data speeds? Provide a screenshot to show what you talk about.

Regular Visitor

Im still having issues connecting to LTE . Can someone help?
Contributor

No one really understood where is the issue. This is not only the issue in LG X Charge but I was able to reproduce on iPhone 5 too.

I had fully LTE working iPhone with GSM service provider and then I activated that phone with Xfinity and now that iPhone only connect with 3G on GSM provider.

I think beside unlocking these phone, need to take off from Verizion/Xfinity provisoning. If it is still provisioned with system, then that system is forcing different tower profile which does not allow to connect with full LTE.

New Poster

I have the same problem as well, tried all different settings, but nothing works. Is there someone from support who can really help? it should be quite easy to reproduce this issue

New Poster

Was anyone able to figure out the problem?

I also have an unlocked xfinity LG X charge that has the exact same problem wiht tmobile netowork

So frustrating

Regular Contributor

Are you able to view the APN settings on the phone and, if so, are they properly configured for TMobile?

If the APN settings are not visible, have you tried backing up the phone and doing a factory reset?

While the reset will erase all personal data, it should allow the correct APN settings to be populated on restart.

Valued Contributor

You are going to be disappointed with trying to use an unlocked XM LG X Charge phone on other networks (and their MVNOs) such as AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint. See:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31624869-

Frequent Visitor

It won't work as I don't think its compatible to begin with. The firmware is what makes the difference in this case not the bands. 

New Poster

I have searched throughout the entire internet and it seems unlocked Xfinity LG X Charge does not work (LTE Only) on other carriers, in my case T Mobile. So, either LG, in their product page lies, or Xfinity lies about the unlock process. Somehow, we as customers are at a loss!

Valued Contributor

Unlocking a phone does not make it physically compatible with another provider's network. Your LG X Charge is not a universally usable phone. It is a model specifically configured by LG for Xfinity Mobile. See:

https://lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg-M322-x-charge-xfinity-mobile

I bought an LG X Charge for a special deal price of $1.06 from Xfinity Mobile in July of 2017 and since that was the full price at the time, it was eligible for immediate unlocking. But once unlocked I could not get it to work with T-Mobile. So you are not alone.

Regular Contributor

In looking at the tech specs, I am wondering if the issue is the customized Xfinity Mobile rom.

Did you by any chance try to flash a stock or custom rom to the device?

New Poster

Did anyone found a solution on making LG X Charge connect to T-Mobile LTE?  If yes, please post the information.

I have this phone as back for a while hoping someone would find a way to make this work on t-mobile network.