Community Forum

Unlock phone run around

New Poster

Unlock phone run around

I purchased an iPhone 7 from Comcast on a monthly plan. When I realized that I want to use the phone on other plans and keep my xfinity service as a secondary service I paid off my phone and requested to unlock.

The customer service people told me I need to wait till I receive my first bill. I waited patiently and then when I contacted them again they are now saying I need to wait till it is paid and they will not allow me to pay it. This is the first time in my life that I’m not allowed to pay my bill, instead it needs to wait till bill is actually on its due date.

So now my questions are,

1- Given that treating your customers
This way is no recipe for a long term business relationship, can I simply close my account and have my phone unlocked?

2- since this seems to be a very long process anyway and I will get rejected every step of the way, will an FCC complaint lead to a faster resolution?
Regular Visitor

Re: Unlock phone run around

I have also had an awful time getting my phone unlocked. Just so you know you arent the only one

@Nlautfi wrote:
I purchased an iPhone 7 from Comcast on a monthly plan. When I realized that I want to use the phone on other plans and keep my xfinity service as a secondary service I paid off my phone and requested to unlock.

The customer service people told me I need to wait till I receive my first bill. I waited patiently and then when I contacted them again they are now saying I need to wait till it is paid and they will not allow me to pay it. This is the first time in my life that I’m not allowed to pay my bill, instead it needs to wait till bill is actually on its due date.

So now my questions are,

This way is no recipe for a long term business relationship, can I simply close my account and have my phone unlocked?

2- since this seems to be a very long process anyway and I will get rejected every step of the way, will an FCC complaint lead to a faster resolution?

Contributor

@Nlautfi wrote:

So now my questions are,

Sorry to hear the run around.  I'm quite intrigued.  Were you not able to pay off the device balance online?  

I just bought two devices last week and one of the device is being gifted away and is travelling next week.  So I paid off the second device online and called CS to request for an unlock.  CS confirmed that the device is paid off but I had to wait till one billing cycle (I hear different versions of this from different CS; one said one billing cycle; other said 50 days from activation) to request for unlock.  I'm getting nervous after reading all the unlock issues!

New Poster

They literally will not allow me to pay my bill until may 30. I submitted a complaint to FCC already
Contributor

@Nlautfi wrote:
They literally will not allow me to pay my bill until may 30. I submitted a complaint to FCC already

Did you try paying it off via the xfinity mobile website?

New Poster

I did. Payment not allowed until may 30th. They claim they’re doing this to “keep things simple” by only accepting automatic payments 20 days after end of billing cycle
Contributor

@Nlautfi wrote:
I did. Payment not allowed until may 30th. They claim they’re doing this to “keep things simple” by only accepting automatic payments 20 days after end of billing cycle

Hmm...very interesting.  I was able to pay off the device online.  I only bought /activated a week ago....Not sure what is different.

Official Employee

Nlautfi, sorry to hear about this inconvenience. Because XFINITY Mobile is done via autopay only, the completed bill would need to be paid by autopay to qualify. 

Here are important unlock requirements for reference: 

• Xfinity Mobile device must complete at least one billing cycle and show successful payment capture from the billing cycle before the device can be unlocked.
  • If the customer is enrolled in a Device Payment Plan (DPP), they must pay off the device in full before Xfinity Mobile can unlock it.
  • Customer's account must be in good standing.
  • Customer does not currently have an exchange or return issued on the device.

KenF