Community Forum

Unlimited Hotspot Throttling - 600 Kbps per connected device?

New Poster

Unlimited Hotspot Throttling - 600 Kbps per connected device?

I'm considering getting the unlimited plan but I'm not quite sure what is meant by "600Kbps per connected device".  Does this mean if you connect multiple phones/tablets/laptops to the mobile hotspot that each of those devices would get its own 600Kbps?  Or is it 600Kbps shared between all of the devices connected to the hotspot.  The wording makes it sound like it's former, and that would make the throttling much more tolerable.  But if all of the devices have to share the 600Kbps, that would be almost useless.  Has anyone tested this?

Thanks!

Contributor

Re: Unlimited Hotspot Throttling - 600 Kbps per connected device?

I can tell you 1 device at 600kbps is pretty much useless.
New Poster

Doesn’t seem that way to me. I throttled my home connection to 600kbps and it didn’t seem terrible unless someone else was watching a video. I was able to stream 2 YouTube videos at once at 144p. Good enough for the kids. So if it’s actually 600kbps for each device connected to the hotspot it should be fine
New Poster

For anyone wondering, it appears to split the 600kbps between all the devices that are connected. So it’s basically useless if you connect more than one device to the hotspot Smiley Sad I’m thinking about switching to by the gig and then getting 3gb hotspot from another carrier
Bronze Problem Solver

@allyjoe wrote:
For anyone wondering, it appears to split the 600kbps between all the devices that are connected. So it’s basically useless if you connect more than one device to the hotspot Smiley Sad I’m thinking about switching to by the gig and then getting 3gb hotspot from another carrier

When XFM mention "hotspot", they are referring to the public hotspots. Your home wifi is not throttled to 600bps.

New Poster

No, I’m talking about the hotspot that comes with cellphone service. When you sign up for the unlimited plan, the cellphone hotspot is throttled to 600kbps