Community Forum

Text messages on new iphone not working

New Poster

Text messages on new iphone not working

My phone number ported over from google voice to xfinity mobile (after waiting 5 days) but texts do not work. I can only receive text messages from phones with verizon service. I am able to successfully text to any phone. I have called xfinity a few times & I was told to go to the apple store to replace my new iphone XR after tier 2 support tried everything else. I called back again today since i don't think this is an iphone issue but there is currently a 5 hour wait for tier 2 support. Any ideas how to get text messages working for all carriers?

Regular Visitor

Re: Text messages on new iphone not working

I am sorry that I don't have a fix for you... however as a data point, my experience mirrors yours.  I ported a number from Google Voice to XM and had the same exact issue.  I spent hours with different support folks... reset the phone more times than I can count, swapped SIM cards etc.  Nothing worked.  I finally gave up and had XM assign me a new phone number from my area code and let the old one go.  That solved the issue immediately.  I've had zero issues since then.  I shouldn't have had to do that... and would have liked to have kept the other number... but in the end that was my last resort.  Good luck!!

Highlighted
New Poster

Thanks for sharing your experience @kruegs. Since my original post I've spent many additional hours with XM tier 1 & tier 2 support and was also sent to Apple, Google Voice and to an Xfinity store to swap my sim card. Nothing has fixed the problem & when I requested a new phone # I was told that won't fix the problem (even though I know it will). Currently there is a ticket open with the Verizon network team to fix the issue but I am not confident this is going to work. I'm giving it another day and then I am returning my new phone & going to a different provider. I did find a good article which explains the problem exactly (http://blog.2600hz.com/secrets-of-the-phone-network-why-you-cant-text) but I just can't reach anyone at XM support who seems to understand the problem and know how to solve it.

Regular Visitor

Ugh... understood.  You might try one more call and just ask to change your number... don't get into the "why" with the agent.  It literally is a 10 minute process.  Might be much less hassle than a return etc. if you are OK parting ways with your other number.  Best of luck!