Community Forum

Switching from Verizon

New Poster

Switching from Verizon

I have strong cellular service in my area for Verizon. I am just so tired of paying ~$850/month for the service plus the phones. With Xfinity Mobile, there is no monthly access fee, which is about $350/month of my Verizon bill. Since we don't use any data, I'm just paying for the phones, which is a total of ~$200/month with XM, compared to $505 with VW. So, overall, I am saving ~$655/month. With XM, I get a new iPhone every year too...MAJOR WIN. Thoughts?

Highlighted
Problem Solver

Re: Switching from Verizon

After 12 months you get 50% off on a new device.  I am not aware of a new iPhone every year.  Where did you hear that?

New Poster

I saw it on the XM website and the sales rep advised me of the same thing, as long as I have the $12/month insurance.

Bronze Problem Solver

@GrandmaB-33027 wrote:

I saw it on the XM website and the sales rep advised me of the same thing, as long as I have the $12/month insurance.

All that is said on web site support is that if you have insurace, the upgrade fee is waived, it doesn't say you get a free new phone. Without insurance, the upgrade fee is $30 or $70 depending on brand of phone

Get no-fee annual upgrades with insurance

If you're enrolled in the XFINITY Mobile Protection Plan, your upgrade fees are included, so you do not have to pay an additional fee to upgrade. Learn how the XFINITY Mobile Protection Plan works.

Source: https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/article/115003084788/how-do-i-upgrade-my-phone

Problem Solver

Also FWIW, XM does not currently offer WiFi calling.

Problem Solver

@mvenanzi wrote:

@GrandmaB-33027 wrote:

All that is said on web site support is that if you have insurace, the upgrade fee is waived, it doesn't say you get a free new phone. Without insurance, the upgrade fee is $30 or $70 depending on brand of phone

Get no-fee annual upgrades with insurance

If you're enrolled in the XFINITY Mobile Protection Plan, your upgrade fees are included, so you do not have to pay an additional fee to upgrade. Learn how the XFINITY Mobile Protection Plan works.

Source: https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/article/115003084788/how-do-i-upgrade-my-phone

I think GrandmaB-33027 is referring to this paragraph from the same source:

XFINITY Mobile customers who purchase a phone on a Device Payment Plan (DPP) may be eligible to upgrade their phone after 12 months. In order to qualify for an upgrade after 12 months, customers must have paid off at least 50% of their DPP, be in good standing, pay applicable upgrade fees, purchase a new XFINITY Mobile phone with a line of service, and turn in their old device in good working condition. Upon verification of device condition, XFINITY Mobile will waive the remaining DPP balance. Customers can buy their new phone outright, or start a new DPP. 

Technically, this isn't the same thing as a free phone, but a lot of people see it that way because they can keep making roughly the same monthly payment and they get a new iPhone each year. Apple and other carriers also market it in this way. In reality, Xfinity/Apple are just promising to buy back your old phone after 12 months for 50% of the original price. It works out so that you get a new phone every year and your monthly payments only change based upon the difference between the new phone retail price and the old phone original retail price.

GrandmaB-33027, if you don't use data and you have good Verizon coverage where you live, I think Xfinity Mobile is a great money-saving choice. Customer service isn't as good as Verizon, but hopefully you won't need to contact them very often.

Official Employee

Hi All, 

With the Device Protection Plan, you can receive a free device upgrade after 12 months of Protection Plan enrollment if the following conditions are met:

• You must have made at least 50% of device payments to become eligible for an upgrade.
  • Returned device must be in good, working condition.

KenF

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Two things I've noticed on my iPhone 8 on Xfinity Mobile coming from Verizon.

1. Latency is TERRIBLE on Xfinity Mobile.  You tap a link on a website, and it takes about 5 times as long to respond as on Verizon.  This makes your phone feel super slow even though the phone is fast, it's the network thats slow. My typical latency (ping times) when on Verizon was 35-50ms.  On Xfinity Mobile it's 140-250ms.  Even worse is that Xfinity Mobile's terms of service say they'll do 100ms or better- I've never seen a ping less than 140ms on my phone from any location.

2. You know the Verizon 1X network that your phone connects to when you're out in rural areas?  Verizon's coverage that they're known for?  On Xfinity Mobile 1X does not work.  It shows up as "Xfinity Mobile 1X" at the top of my phone screen but calls, texts, and data simply do not work on 1X.

Simpy put-  Coverage is not as good as Verizon.  Performance is not as good as Verizon.