Community Forum

Switching Sim Card

Highlighted
New Poster

Switching Sim Card

I orignally had a iPhone 6s Plus but I now have an iphone 7. I just switched the sim card because the IMEI number was combatible, but it is still coming up as the 6s Plus. How do I switch it on the plan?

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Switching Sim Card

Call customer support, Tell them what you want to do. As long as both phones are supported they will line everything up for you. Like Verizon the sim card is tied to the phone that it came with, which is thw 6 S+. Make sure you get the 6S+ unlocked before you do this.

Highlighted
Official Employee

Hello Pilgrims7,

We appreciate you reaching out to us through the forum. As of now, swapping the SIM from your iPhone 6s to your iPhone 7 is considered an unsolicited SIM swap. In order to have your account reflect the device that you are using, it would need to be added to your account as a new BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) line.

Technically speaking, doing an unsolicited SIM swap, in most cases, will allow you to retain all of your service and device functionality but we do not guarantee it. Unsolicited SIM swaps will prevent you from making changes to your account such as changing the data plan. We hope that in the near future, we will have the option to update the BYOD device without having to create a new line on your account. As of now, we are unable to do so.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi, I am in the same boat.

Can I do this online or do I need to go to a store?

Can I upgrade my BYOD 6s to a BYOD Xr, request a new sim and put my current 6s phone number in the form  (so essentially a port from XM to XM) 

When new new sim comes in the mail activate it in the new phone. Would this drop the old 6s from the DB? 

Trying to give old 6s to in-laws so they can port to XM, but it’s wont let it happen as it thinks the 6s is still in use 

Highlighted
New Poster

So what does XM do if a customer loses their iPhone (and Sim), and then goes to the Apple store to buy an new unlocked phone? Can they get a new sim with their old number on it? 

@ComcastChrisL wrote:

Hello Pilgrims7,

We appreciate you reaching out to us through the forum. As of now, swapping the SIM from your iPhone 6s to your iPhone 7 is considered an unsolicited SIM swap. In order to have your account reflect the device that you are using, it would need to be added to your account as a new BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) line.

Technically speaking, doing an unsolicited SIM swap, in most cases, will allow you to retain all of your service and device functionality but we do not guarantee it. Unsolicited SIM swaps will prevent you from making changes to your account such as changing the data plan. We hope that in the near future, we will have the option to update the BYOD device without having to create a new line on your account. As of now, we are unable to do so.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Short answer for any of this is that you can't do it online or on the phone

just go to the store and sort it out. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@MRNH wrote:

Short answer for any of this is that you can't do it online or on the phone

just go to the store and sort it out. 

Are you saying they can now do it at the store?  (i.e,  switch the IMEI number/device info under your account to reflect the new phone that you swapped your sim card into?)

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Yes. 
I bought new iPhones from Apple, switched sims, but as XM still thought I still had old phones, I couldn't give them for in-laws to use on XM. 

imei swap is actually done by back office, but there is no way to request this online or over phone. (I tried!!)

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@MRNH wrote:

imei swap is actually done by back office,

Thanks, I will go there and ask them sometime.  What is the "back office"?  Did it take them awhile to do it?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Back office is a site somewhere else, not literally in the back of the store (but that where the term comes from) 

It's  what the store people escalate to. 

Ours took a few days to get done. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Ok.  Strange then they can't just do it over the phone (escalate it to the "back office") or that one of the Comcast employees on here can't send our info over to that group? 

Highlighted
Official Employee

Hello again,

Thanks for the continued support!  I’m happy to investigate this further and look into updating the devices on file so that it reflects the current device that you are using.  My understanding is that we may be able to do so if the device that is being added is on the BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) list of compatible devices.

As of now, BYOD compatible devices include iPhone (from 6 onward), Samsung Galaxy (S8 and onward) and Note 8 & 9 only, and the recently added Google Pixel (1 through 4XL).

Not too long ago, we implemented the ability to do a device swap with existing devices on an account, which eliminates the Unsolicited message for the device that is being used.  The device update situation may entail a similar technical process.

Please message me privately by clicking on ComcastChrisL and then from my profile page, click on the blue ‘send message’ button.  Please include the following information for account authentication;

First and last name, the mobile number, the full service address, and the last 4 digits of the stored payment method on file.

Also, please include the device make, model, IMEI, color, and internal GB storage size of the device that you want to have reflect on your account.

Finally, please include any additional details pertaining to your specific situation.

Thanks again.

Chris

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

This is good news, Chris.  Thank you for posting that.  When I click on your name and go to your profile page I get NO blue button where you say it should be.  Actually, no where else on the page for that matter., so consequently there is no way I can PM for some reason.   Is there an alternate way to do this?  Can just going to the store and have them take care of this for me?  

Thank you very much in advance.  

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I'm in the same boat and would like to send you my information to update the phone that is associated with the SIM card. But when I visit your profile page I do not see any way to send a private message. Thanks!

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

It looks like you need to turn on Private Messaging in your Profile/Preferences. Even if it is checked "active" you should submit it again. Then when you visit people's pages you can private message.

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@gtanabe wrote:

It looks like you need to turn on Private Messaging in your Profile/Preferences. Even if it is checked "active" you should submit it again. Then when you visit people's pages you can private message.

Thanx, but nope.  No box to check in preferences.   At least now I know that Comcast must have turned that feature off on my account for some reason.  I realize they are trying to cut down on the amount of PM's by users, but we should be able to PM the Comcast Employees when they request that we do so.  Kind of only makes sense. 

Highlighted
Official Employee

Hello TiredRetired,

My apologies for the inconvenience.  I clicked on your profile also in an attempt to reach out to you since you are unable to see the blue send a message’ button on my profile page.

To my surprise, your profile does not have a ‘send a message’ button either.  Bear with me while I look into why this is the case.

In the meantime, if you need to have an agent look over your account with you, please refer to the link below, and scroll to the bottom in order to locate the contact details for our chat and telephone support teams;

https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support

Sincerely,

Chris

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

ComcacstChris, I sent you a Private message the other day about this with my account info, but you haven't responded?

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@ComcastChrisL wrote:

Hello TiredRetired,

My apologies for the inconvenience.  I clicked on your profile also in an attempt to reach out to you since you are unable to see the blue send a message’ button on my profile page.

To my surprise, your profile does not have a ‘send a message’ button either.  Bear with me while I look into why this is the case.

In the meantime, if you need to have an agent look over your account with you, please refer to the link below, and scroll to the bottom in order to locate the contact details for our chat and telephone support teams;

Sincerely,

Chris

Thank you.  I appreciate your help in this matter.  

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@ComcastChrisL wrote:

Hello TiredRetired,

Sincerely,

Chris

I'm still bearing with you. Still no button.  Still no PM ability.  I'm still bearing with you.  

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Hi Chris! I am also trying to send you message about this same issue (IMEI Swap) but I am also not getting a Send a Message button on your profile. I tried with chat twice this morning and they said it couldnt be done and I had to get a new SIM card, I'm just trying to swap one iPhone with another iPhone.

Thank you!

EDIT: After making my first post here and giving you a thumbs up on the previous post, it looks like the "Sent a Message" button finally shows up! Sending a message now.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I too need help with switching my replacement phone. I will try messaging @ComcastChrisL driectly.

UPDATE:  After signing on to the community forum and leaving this post I was able to direct message with ChrisL.  He quickly walked me thorugh what he needed, set up a time to perform the update on my account and after the allotted time and a quick restart my old phone has been deactivated and the new one is active.