Community Forum

Switched from Verizon Wireless to Xfinity Mobile now BACK TO VERIZON

Frequent Visitor

Switched from Verizon Wireless to Xfinity Mobile now BACK TO VERIZON

I knew switching from Verizon to Xfinity Mobile to save $$ this was too good to be true but tried anyway!

I had 1 circle of signal at my house with Verizon, but I could use WIFI calling, and conversations were crystal clear HD.  I switched to Xfinity Mobile and still have 1 circle signal, but nobody can understand what I'm saying and they complain I'm choppy and broken.  

I just confirmed via this forum and Xfinity Tech Support (using my house landline), that Xfinity Mobile DOES NOT SUPPORT WIFI CALLING.  

No WiFi calling is a DEAL BUSTER.  I'm returning my 2 iPhones and switching back to Verizon.  (DO NOT DELETE THIS POST LIKE YOU DELETED MY OTHER POST)

Contributor

Re: Switched from Verizon Wireless to Xfinity Mobile now BACK TO VERIZON

You're upset because you didn't get a feature that was never advertised as being supported? It's not like they said "all of verizons features for much lower cost!"

Frequent Visitor

@Dave_id87 wrote:

You're upset because you didn't get a feature that was never advertised as being supported? It's not like they said "all of verizons features for much lower cost!"

Of COURSE I'm upset.  Wouldn't you be?  As if you asked questions like, "does Facetime work" or "does iMessage work" or "does email work" or anything like that before YOU bought Xfinity Mobile service?  Give me a break.  As if YOU KNEW WiFi calling was not available?  Please. 

Contributor

I did not know wifi calling was not available (I do not use it) 

but I do know it is carrier related and as recent as last year major carriers like verizon were just rolling it out

apple even tells you this on their support page talking about carrier settings

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201270

"Carrier settings updates let your carrier provider update carrier network and related settings to improve cellular network connectivity and performance or add support for features like VoLTE or Wi-Fi Calling."

I understand the frustration of not having something work that you need to use, especially when you are using an iphone still and technically connected to the same network, but if something was vital I think research needs to be done before making a change

Frequent Visitor

@Dave_id87 wrote:

I did not know wifi calling was not available (I do not use it) 

but I do know it is carrier related and as recent as last year major carriers like verizon were just rolling it out

apple even tells you this on their support page talking about carrier settings

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201270

"Carrier settings updates let your carrier provider update carrier network and related settings to improve cellular network connectivity and performance or add support for features like VoLTE or Wi-Fi Calling."

What about the features that you DO use?  Did you ask/inquire if you can receive email via WiFi and cellular?  Did you ask/inqire if Facetime works over WiFi and cellular?  Did you ask/inquire if text messaging is functional over WiFi and cellular?  OF COURSE YOU DIDN'T.

Sure, it's my mistake for not asking/confirming if WiFi calling works on XM, but I'm sure you'd be just as mad if some functionality that you had with another carrier didn't work with XM.  Some of my frustration are with folks (like you) who reply and posture as if they are greater or smarter than thou, and that I should have confirmed features before switching from Verizon.  I previously asked you if you confirmed that Facetime or email or whatever worked before YOU switched.  We know the answer.  Anyway---I'll be spending time at Xfinity Mobile store to return my 2 iPhone 7's and going back to Verizon.  Have a great weekend buddy.

New Poster

Are you serious right now?! Xfinity uses Verizon towers which is why your signal stayed the same. And wifi calling is a bigger feature than FaceTime and the stuff you just mentioned is known to be a feature. Not all carriers have wifi calling. Do some research before you switch.
Frequent Visitor

To me, a cell phone is an applience, not a hobby. A hobby that gets rather technical rather quickly.

No, I did not check if XM supported wifi calling either - to me it was a given.

Getting a bit more technical, VoIP is not a new technology, even your "land line" from Comcast is using it. VoIP does not care whether the IP packets travel over cellular, or data, or wifi, or any other hybrid IP based network. So, yes, XM being limited to cellular voice calls only did come as an unpleasant surprise.