Community Forum

Swapping phones

Regular Visitor

Swapping phones

Just ported over 3 lines from Sprint to Xfinity Mobile today, 2 of them were BYOD iPhones, and my son got a Moto G7 Power. When working with the rep at the Xfinity store, I asked if my son could hold onto the LG phone, and swap out the SIM at some point, if he had to send the Moto in for repair. The rep told us that would be no problem. Tonight I was texting with a rep, and when I mentioned it, was told that "It could work for some time, but if our system detects that the SIM card was swapped between devices, the service would be interrupted."  Pretty big difference! This is the same sort of stuff that has made me hesitate to bring even more of our service to Xfinity. He has 14 days to take it back in, we will have to rethink this out. 

Official Employee

Re: Swapping phones

jhilker, thanks for posting on the forums. I think a lot of folks here have different experiences when it comes to unlocked androids on XFINITY Mobile. We don't have an android BYOD program in place yet so some features will be lost if the sims are swapped. We also don't recommend the swapping of sims from phone to phone since provisioning on the back end is phone specific. The best advice I can give for an unlocked android is to get a replacement sim card each time you swap and expect to not have access to features like voicemail, voLTE, tethering, etc until the BYOD is rolled out later this year. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

What if the two phones swapping SIMs are both 'Xfinity' Android phones (i.e. an LG X Charge and a Moto e5 play) purchased from Xfinity?  Is that any more reliable, supported or fully-featured?

Official Employee

What if the two phones swapping SIMs are both 'Xfinity' Android phones (i.e. an LG X Charge and a Moto e5 play) purchased from Xfinity?  Is that any more reliable, supported or fully-featured?

woldog, great question. XFINITY Mobile purchased devices are in our "inventory" so in my experience, it is easier to provision features to these phones. As long as the IMEIs for the phones transfer to the correct lines after a sim swap, we should be able to keep the features as is. 

Ken

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!