Community Forum

Swapping SIM - What about Device Screen on App or Website

Frequent Visitor

Swapping SIM - What about Device Screen on App or Website

I have an iPhone SE I purchased from xfinity mobile that I am using on xfinity mobile currently. Everything works fine but I also have a sim free iPhone 7 I purchased  from the Apple store before I moved to xfinity mobile. I was hoping that xfinity mobile would offer BYOD so I could swap to the iPhone 7, a better phone, that's not being used. I have read in these forums that others have swapped the sim card from an iPhone SE to an unlocked (sim free) iPhone 7 and everything worked OK.

Here is my question   Can anyone that has had success with swapping sim cards tell me what shows up on the "Devices" screen on either the xfinity mobile app or the xfinity mobile website after swapping the sim card?   

Just wondering in case xfinity mobile doesn't actually implement BYOB "By the end of the year".

Thanks!

Highlighted
Problem Solver

Re: Swapping SIM - What about Device Screen on App or Website

Eventually "Devices" will change to "Unknown".  Then, if you have any problem with services, for example VoLTE or visual voice mail, customer service will not help you.

Regarding BYOD, XM will not provide an update nor ETA.

Regular Contributor

I would not even insert the sim yet and just wait out the BYOD. Save yourself from future issues!!

Official Employee

rbinark, I agree with Dumaine. While some customers have been able to use service with "foreign" devices, we cannot guarantee all features will work properly on that device. If those features disappear, we are not able to add them back to your iPhone 7 due to system limitations. 

While we don't have a date for BYOD just yet, we are hoping to bring it to our customers soon. 

KenF

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I tried to buy a SIM card from Xfinity 5months ago only to be told not for sale YET. I wanted it for my Verizon Jet Pack hotspot. A month later our Comcast internet went down, I took the Xfinity SIM card out of my iPhone 7 and put it into the Jet Pack. Worked perfectly instantly. When my home internet came back on, I switched back the sim into my iphone7 no problems. Will do it again next time Comcast internet goes out. Russ