Community Forum

Swap Sim card to another phone

Regular Visitor

Swap Sim card to another phone

I have a LG X charge bought during promotion. I would like to ditch that phone and put the SIM card in a unlocked Samsung Galaxy s8 bought from Samsung directly. Any problem with that? 

I have a friend who swapped the Sim card to an Iphone that got blocked (?) after a while. Another friend just lost connection switching to an Android device.

Is this a phone or network issue or it's done intentionally by xfinity mobile? Anyone knows the definitive answer to this? Appreciated and thanks in advance.

Official Employee

Re: Swap Sim card to another phone

dogmarcopolo, 

We do not support BYOD (bring your own device) at XFINITY yet. This means if you have any issues with your unlocked Galaxy device, we may not be able to resolve those issues because it is not a supported device. Features you enjoy on your XFINITY Mobile device may not be available on your unlocked Galaxy device. Customers on the forums have typically lost VoLTE calling and visual voicemail for example. 

KenF

Regular Visitor

the problem is much more severe than that. the sim card was working fine for a while. but after a phone shutdown and reboot it wouldn't connect again! so i don't have cell service now. it can see the Verizon network but not xfinity mobile and when i tried to connect to Verizon, it hung and failed eventually.the sim card is ok because if i put it back to the original LG X Charge phone from Xfinity Mobile, it connected just find.

this happened to my sister and me (both Samsung Galaxy S8 unlocked bought from Samsung directly). is there some imei change or whatever that needs to happen?

Official Employee

dogmarcopolo, that may happen when using a BYOD device. We do not support BYOD fully at this time so we cannot guarantee service will work as expected. Please reinsert your sim card into your original XFINITY Mobile device for full functionality. We are working on rolling out BYOD compatibility. 

KenF

Regular Contributor

dogmarcopolo wrote:

the problem is much more severe than that. the sim card was working fine for a while. but after a phone shutdown and reboot it wouldn't connect again! so i don't have cell service now. it can see the Verizon network but not xfinity mobile and when i tried to connect to Verizon, it hung and failed eventually.the sim card is ok because if i put it back to the original LG X Charge phone from Xfinity Mobile, it connected just find.

this happened to my sister and me (both Samsung Galaxy S8 unlocked bought from Samsung directly). is there some imei change or whatever that needs to happen?

dogmarcopolo, I know EXACTLY what happened. It happened to (2) of our (3) lines today. Even last night my voice calling was working fine but earlier today I couldn't get voice calling. I chatted with online tech support and they were of no help. I then went into store and immediately the Xfinity person at store said they can't help because these are not phones bought from XM directly. 

Anyway, after finding this particularly thread and with Comcast KenF again reiterating that VoLTE may not work, I went to check on that setting in our phones. Lo and behold, once you turn off VoLTE, voice calling works again. 

dogmarcopolo, do this as a test. Try sending a SMS text to someone. See if that works. It should work. That tells you that CDMA still works. Then locate in your phone the VoLTE setting. I can't tell you exactly where that is as I have an Essential Phone and the menus are most likely different -- especially with TouchWiz skin from Samsung. But you need to find the setting to turn off VoLTE and I'm pretty sure your phone will work again. 

Again, this just started happening to our (2) phones today. I expect to see many, many threads about this problem as these phones appear dead for voice calling. But it's only dead for HD calling -- i.e. VoLTE. Standard, non-HD calling still works when you turn off VoLTE.

Hope that helps you return your phone to a functional state for voice calling. 

Cheers!

New Poster

Xfinity sells new Galaxy S8 phones. Does Xfinity program the phones or do they come from Samsung ready to be used? All Xfinity or Samsung has to do is give BYOP people access to their firmware. Does Xfinity want to prevent people from easily switching to other carrier's?

Official Employee

Xfinity sells new Galaxy S8 phones. Does Xfinity program the phones or do they come from Samsung ready to be used? All Xfinity or Samsung has to do is give BYOP people access to their firmware. Does Xfinity want to prevent people from easily switching to other carrier's?

Voltaireus, the S8 devices we sale are carrier locked. This means they must be unlocked before they can be used anywhere else. We are currently trialing BYOD to be used across our network. 

KenF

Regular Visitor

Thanks! unfortunately that is not my problem. i couldn't even connect to the verizon network, so there is no voice, text or data at all. the sim card is fine because it works on samsung galaxy s4, but just couldn't connect when i put in galaxy s8. really fustrating.

Official Employee

Thanks! unfortunately that is not my problem. i couldn't even connect to the verizon network, so there is no voice, text or data at all. the sim card is fine because it works on samsung galaxy s4, but just couldn't connect when i put in galaxy s8. really fustrating.

dogmarcopolo, oh, hmmm that is a bit strange. When the sim card is in the S8, do you see any network name at all? Verizon or XFINITY Mobile? Are you sure the sim card is in properly? 

KenF

Regular Visitor

yes, with Galaxy S8 i can see all 4 networks (Verizon, ATT, Sprint and T-Mobile), but when i tried to connect it took a long while and failed to connect. what i know is:

1. theXfinity Mobile SIM card is fine: i put it in the galaxy s4 and it connected to verizon ok.

2. galaxy s8 is fine: i put other SIM cards from AT&T and Sprint and both connect just fine.

3. the problem seems to be on the network side: both my sister and I bought unlocked samsung s8 from Samsung.com directly. both were working fine, but all of a sudden lately after the phones reboot we couldn't connect. it is highly unlikely both S8 developed the same problem at the same time.

on Galaxy S4, the connection type shows 'Global'. while on S8 it is LTE/3G/2G, that is the only difference we can see. Any assistance is deeply appreciated.

Official Employee

OK, thanks for those details. 

Can you send me a private message with the device IMEI? I want to see if I can see the same thing on my end. Have you done a sim swap yet? 

Please also include your full name, address and residential account number in the private message. 

KenF

New Poster

Since we're allowed to byod with iPhone now can I swap the SIM card out of my Xfinity iPhone 8plus to my att iPhone 7?
Contributor

If you bought the 7 from ATT it probably has an Intel rather than Qualcomm modem and will not work on Verizon or XM.

Official Employee

JayStuter, we support iPhone BYOD on new line activations and not for preexisting lines. If you were to swap sims, certain features like VoLTE and hotspot may not work. 

Contributor

Don't do it, it will through the entire thing with your account into psychotic city. If you put the SIM card into another device other than the phone that came with you will see charges on your line for the device you put the SIM in. I get it you bought it outright from samsung but Xfinity is new and have yet to work out the kinks in the system. You can't even swap the SIM card from 1 Xfinity phone to another without their systems billing you and after a while of you doing so your service will slowly start to shut down. This has been my problem with billing when my note8 some how ended up locked to T-Mobile after I inputted the unlock code. I took the SIM out of my note8 and put it in my daughter's iphone7+ and her SIM into my phone thinking it might of been my SIM card gone bad. I started get billed for my note8 which I fully paid for and now my account shows my note8 on 2 different lines. Still working on getting the $26 charge for my note8 fixed.
Official Employee

Zerokool316, I've seen your private thread and will reach out to you there. 

Contributor

Do not swap out the SIM card. Xfinity will bill you for whatever device you throw your SIM in. The SIM cards seem to be locked to a specific device. For example if I purchase another note8 from Xfinity it will come with it's own SIM and the SIM I use in my current note8 has to basically go in the garbage. If I put my current SIM into the new note8 it will show in my account that I still have a non-activated device and eventually I will be billed for that unactivated device. So if any of you have swapped out the SIM card into another phone that didn't come from Xfinity please look at your cell phone bill carefully.
Highlighted
Official Employee

dogmarcopolo, thanks for the private messages. As I said there, I recommend waiting to use your Galaxy device when we officially support android BYOD so I am able to troubleshoot fully. 

KenF