Community Forum

Sporadic Service with VoLTE and LTE data enabled

Frequent Visitor

Sporadic Service with VoLTE and LTE data enabled

Hi,

I have an iPhone XS Max that was purchased unlocked from Apple. I have the esim feature activated from T Mobile and I am using Xfinity Mobile as a secondary line in the physical sim slot. I have the T mobile line set as the primary line and the data line. The Xfinity Mobile service works as expected if I have the Enable LTE option turned Off. If I enable LTE voice and data, the service becomes intermitent and sometime looses service. I would like to be able to leave the Enable LTE On for Voice and Data. I have already tried resetting network settings, restarting the phone and also putting it in airplane mode. Also there are no profiles installed. I am running iOS 12.1.4.

Thanks,

Valued Contributor

Re: Sporadic Service with VoLTE and LTE data enabled

@riley181 wrote:

Hi,

I have an iPhone XS Max that was purchased unlocked from Apple. I have the esim feature activated from T Mobile and I am using Xfinity Mobile as a secondary line in the physical sim slot. I have the T mobile line set as the primary line and the data line. The Xfinity Mobile service works as expected if I have the Enable LTE option turned Off. If I enable LTE voice and data, the service becomes intermitent and sometime looses service. I would like to be able to leave the Enable LTE On for Voice and Data. I have already tried resetting network settings, restarting the phone and also putting it in airplane mode. Also there are no profiles installed. I am running iOS 12.1.4.

Thanks,

As far as I know,  the dual sim support in iPhone is restricted to the type of carrier used for both sim; this means both the sim carrier should be either GSM or CDMA and they cannot be a mix and match.   Refer the Apple support page on this topic - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209044

To use two different carriers, your iPhone must be unlocked. Otherwise, both plans must be from the same carrier. If a CDMA carrier provides your first SIM, your second SIM won't support CDMA. Contact your carrier for more information. 

If you have an enterprise or corporate cellular service plan, check with your company administrator to see if they support this feature.

Also I thought Xfinity Mobile hasn't officially started supporting the dual sim yet in their network/devices.  Have they started the dual sim support?

Frequent Visitor

This is not correct, as long as the phone is unlocked, the carriers can be different. You cannot have two CDMA carriers. Also, Xfinity does not need to support esim as long as the physical sim is being used, it is no different from putting the sim in any other compatible iPhone.

Official Employee

riley181,  Are you able to use VoLTE when you have disabled the TMobile sim card? 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

After turning off the Tmobile line and using only the Xfinity mobile with data and voice LTE enabled, the service was a bit more reliable but still not good. I have 2 bars out of 4 sometimes it drops to 1 bar. If I turn off the LTE, I have 3 or 4 bars.

Official Employee

After turning off the Tmobile line and using only the Xfinity mobile with data and voice LTE enabled, the service was a bit more reliable but still not good. I have 2 bars out of 4 sometimes it drops to 1 bar. If I turn off the LTE, I have 3 or 4 bars.

What about Data roaming? Is that activated?

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

No data roaming is turned off.

Frequent Visitor

So I have narrowed down the issue to wifi calling. When wifi calling is enabled and I am connected to a wifi network, the service is sporadic. If I turn off wifi calling, the service works as expected.

Highlighted
Official Employee

Got it. We are aware of some issues caused when activating wifi calling on the iPhone models. We're working on a fix. 

Ken

Frequent Visitor

Ken,

Any update on this fix? I would like to get this issue resolved, my office is in my basement and I get poor service there, so this would really make a difference.

Thanks

Official Employee

riley181, nothing yet. I'll be sure to update this thread when I get something. Sorry for the delay but thanks for your patience. 

Official Employee

Hey All, an iOS update has just been pushed OTA. Please check for this update and complete it if you can. Please let me know if the problem persists. 

ken