Community Forum

Sound notifications on Samsung Galaxy s9

Contributor

Sound notifications on Samsung Galaxy s9

I just bought the Samsung Galaxy s9 and I'm constantly getting the default sound for some notification but I have no idea what app is notifing me or how to change the sound or stop it.

Are there certain default notification set into this phone? 

Expert

Re: Sound notifications on Samsung Galaxy s9

@sheryltoo66 wrote:

I just bought the Samsung Galaxy s9 and I'm constantly getting the default sound for some notification but I have no idea what app is notifing me or how to change the sound or stop it.

Are there certain default notification set into this phone? 

Have you checked the manual for the phone?

If you set up email, it could be for email, or it could be for text messages.  Going into your sound settings hopefully will give you a clue.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

The manual that came with it really doesn't tell you much. I've tried to check the sound settings for any app that appears to give me notifications and hopefully I've turned them all off.  This phone seems to have a mind of it's own though. I've been having problems with an app that I want sounds for, my text messages. I tried to change the sound but it sometimes goes back to the previous sound setting.  I had the galaxy s7 and never had any of these issues or sounds coming in that I didn't want.  I don't know if my phone is the problem or switching to Xfinity mobile. 

Highlighted
Bronze Problem Solver

@sheryltoo66 wrote:

The manual that came with it really doesn't tell you much. I've tried to check the sound settings for any app that appears to give me notifications and hopefully I've turned them all off.  This phone seems to have a mind of it's own though. I've been having problems with an app that I want sounds for, my text messages. I tried to change the sound but it sometimes goes back to the previous sound setting.  I had the galaxy s7 and never had any of these issues or sounds coming in that I didn't want.  I don't know if my phone is the problem or switching to Xfinity mobile. 

Here is a web based manual for the S9 from samsung:

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/PM/201808/20180803063133735/EB/GEN_G960U1_G965U1_EN_FINAL_...

Contributor

Thanks. This looks like it will be a big help.

New Poster

A few helpful hints that work for me on my S9 running Pie 9.0 but also as they did on Oreo 8 (as remembered)

1) the sound accompanies the notification so pull down (drop) the Notification section from the top of the phone.  One of those messages made the sound.

2) the notifications are titled by the application or function that triggered it next to which is the time. You are then looking for the most recent time signature: Now or 3 min or etc.

3) Pull that notification bar ~ 1/4 of the distance to the right exposing the preference icon which you then tap

4) This opens the apps notification preferences module found otherwise by going through the App or Notification section of the System preference.

5) Under the various notification Categories is the current preference. You're looking for the one or few with the word "sound" in them. Tap them and either set it to silent or tap the dropdown for "Notification Style" and choose accordingly. 

"Galaxy Apps," for example, has the categories 1) General Notifications; 2) Downloads) 3) App updates. For me 1) & 3) have the 'sub-text' saying "sound and pop-up." Tapping 1) takes me to the module with the Notification style. Dropping that I select the option giving me the desired behavior. 

Hope that is of some help.