Community Forum

Samsung S9+

Frequent Visitor

Samsung S9+

I have been doing some research on Samsung’s S9+.  I have been looking at Xfinity specs., versus Samsung unlocked phone specs., and Verizon’s S9+ specs., and I see that Both Samsung’s unlocked phone and Verizon’s S9+ have Network CAT. 18, and that on Xfinity Mobile website under the phones KEY FEATURES - Network = CAT. 9. 

Is CAT 9 a typo?? 

If it is could you change it to the correct CAT. number. 

CAT 18, in a perfect setup, (not many) looks to be little less than 3 times faster than CAT 9.  Thank you in advance 

Official Employee

Re: Samsung S9+

PetefromMD, I'm not sure when you visited the site, but it is now showing "CAT 9". 

KenF

Contributor

@ComcastKenF wrote:

PetefromMD, I'm not sure when you visited the site, but it is now showing "CAT 9". 

KenF

Thats the issue! it should be "CAT18" instead.  Unless Xfinity selling its own custom version of S9+

Frequent Visitor

Hi, again.  Just a little more information if you are not familar with CAT speeds, here is copy and paste: 

Within devices, speeds are fundamentally defined by the capabilities of the mobile modem (the radio bit that talks to the mobile network) within your device, which is given a "category" classification that directly relates to its maximum download and upload speeds.

That category, sometimes shortened to just Cat (plus the relevant number), will tell you a lot about how fast your device can theoretically go. Here’s how the categories break down in speed terms.

Category Download (Mbps) Upload (Mbps) Example Devices
Cat 3
Apple iPhone 5
Cat 4
Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy S5
Cat 6
Cat 9
Cat 12
iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X
Cat 16
Samsung Galaxy S8, Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Cat 18
Galaxy S9, Galaxy S9+, Huawei P20 Pro

Just to further confuse matters, different models of the same phone sold in different markets worldwide feature different radio arrays, which means that they're classified with different categories. So for example, there's a model of the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 sold internationally which is Category 12, but the local model is a Category 9 device.

FROM WEB LINK:   https://www.finder.com.au/phone-category-speeds

Frequent Visitor

Here is Little more info on different CAT.s, on manufacturers different unlocked phones from the manufacturer.  These specifications do not mean your phone has these specifications.  Carriers have the Manufacturers customize there phone to what they want.  Do your reasearch.  Ask, yourself (my opinion) why aren't there complete specifications of the phone on the carriers website.  Here are a few websites to look at, if you are interested.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_devices_with_LTE_Advanced               also look at Samsung S8+

http://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/galaxy-s9/specs/

Copy and Paste:

"Can I upgrade my smartphone to a higher category?

The category classification of a given phone is essentially fixed, so it's not feasible to upgrade the software in order to gain a speed boost. The good news in this respect is that pretty much every smartphone currently sold or offered on contract in Australia should be cross-compatible with other networks, so if you do shift and keep your handset you should be able to enjoy the highest speeds offered by the carrier of your choice. If you do want to experience higher category speeds, however, you'll need to look into an entirely new handset."

I was hoping until I read this - that Xfinfity could upgrade the CAT 9 to CAT 18 through software undate.  I purchased this phone from Xfifnity, and still have time to return it.  So I would really really appreciate it if, a Customer Service AGENT involved in the SALES/TECH. side of the company will confirm that the CAT 9, is correct on your website for the Samsung S9+, and also the S8+ (which I have thought about downgrading to if CAT 9 is the correct classification rating).

Frequent Visitor

Ken the issue I bring up with your Galaxy 9 and 9+ is that everyone I see on the internet is advertisisng they have phone modem of CAT 18, and Your Company is advertising on Xfinity Moblie Site, under the phones "Key Features" that the phone has CAT 9.  CAT 9 is more than 50% slower at downloading over the network than Cat 18.  See the other Posts below, and also see post about phone service providers can have the phones customized to different specifications than manufactures advertised unlocked phones.  It does not make sense to me to buy a phone (S9+) for full price, and that has the same modem as the Galaxy S7 (CAT 9 phone, see the chart below).  Please check with the Sales Department and confirm that CAT 9 is correct.  AT this point not a big deal, but I need to know in the next day or so.  Thanks.

Official Employee

@ComcastKenF wrote:

KenF

Thats the issue! it should be "CAT18" instead.  Unless Xfinity selling its own custom version of S9+

cmouly2, the posted CAT 9 is not in error. It is not unusual for carriers to have different device specs for popular devices. You'll often see differences in devices across carriers. 

KenF

Frequent Visitor

Thank You, Ken for replying and Answering.  I can understand that different Mobile carriers have devices such as S9+, S8's with slower radio/network/modems/CAT.'s then the fastest manufacturers speed.  And, I imagine there are many reasons when Mobile Network Providers make a contract with someone like Samsung, to make a run of 100,000's phones.  I would not mind, personally, if Comcast/Xfinity sold the CAT 18 phone for the S9+ and throttled the phone download speeds down, to say Cat. 9. and informed me of that.  It doesn't make sense to me at this time to spend close to $900 dollars for that phone, "right now".  Part of the reason I spend this much money on the phone is that it would take me into the future, say 3 or 4 years.  CAT 9 is what Samsung’s S6, stock unlocked phone.  I have the S9+ phone and it runs very fast on your current network, and has lots of Bells and Whistles.  Say if I did for whatever reason end up on a different network that supported Cat 18, I would be upset with myself, for spending so much for the phone.  I am considering returning the phone, and waiting until Xfinity offers faster Cat phone, or wait until 5G phones are offered in a couple of years.  Thanks again.  I appreciate Xfinity, take care.  Pete

New Poster

Re: Voice Remote XRII Setup to Control Samsung Volume, Power & Mute

I have tried numerous codes with no luck. Prior to some recent TV repairs, my voice remotes controled all significent Samsung TV functions. What to do next?

Tags (1)
Official Employee

PetefromMD, no problem Pete. Take care.