Community Forum

Samsung S9+

Regular Visitor

Samsung S9+

Hi. I'm thinking about pre-ordering a Galaxy 9+. My question is how does Xfinity update the phones to the latest Android version and security updates?
For example, going from Android O to Android P.
In my area I can see Xfinity uses the Verizon system. Verizon is notoriously slow updating, it's one of the reason I got frustrated.
Does Xfinity act more like a carrier unlocked phone getting their updated software direct from Samsung or does Xfinity hold it up like Verizon to verify it on their system?
Thank you. Hope this question is clear.
Frequent Visitor

Re: Samsung S9+

a guy in my office has a VZW galaxy s8 and i have one on XM. The updates seems to be only a day behind Verizon's. That being said Samsungs commitement to updates seems to be non-existant and getting them in the US seems to not be a priority at all. The S8 has Oreo all over the world, but not even a rumor as to a US release date. The Carrier can't do anything if the manufacture doesn't send it to them. I'm strongly considering a google manufactured device next round for this reason.

Regular Visitor

One thing I have heard is Samsung has already rolled out an update for the phone of 250 mbs so maybe that will change.
Project Treble is supported on the S9 family so that could speed things up considerably.

Thanks for replying !!
Official Employee

Thank you (rstovall) for providing this information you're correct. @jtommyj you can click on this link to learn more about the new S9 and S9+.