Community Forum

Samsung S9 not unlocking after outright purchase of phone - bogus unlock code provided - x no help

New Poster

Samsung S9 not unlocking after outright purchase of phone - bogus unlock code provided - x no help

How is it possible that Xfinity still hasn't figured this out?  I purchased my S9 outright off my account and started payments on a new iphone on the line instead.  They provided me an unlock code that is not working.  I have talked with Tier 2 customer service two weeks ago who said it would have to go to their engineering department.  No update from Xfinity since then.  She also gave me a bogus call back number to get straight to Tier 2 CS.  Instead I have been on hold again for 40 minutes with the typical Tier 1 CS with an estimated wait time of an additional "more than 40 minutes".  

How is this even legal to sell someone a device and then hold it hostage to their network?!  In addition, the chat feature at the bottom of the Xfinity page isn't working, so impossible to get assistance that way.  Isn't this a thing?:

All service providers who signed onto the CTIA Consumer Code for Wireless Service have fully implemented the standards on unlocking. Participants include all nationwide service providers, as well as a number of regional providers. Each participating provider has posted its unlocking policy on its company website and will respond to unlock requests.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Samsung S9 not unlocking after outright purchase of phone - bogus unlock code provided - x no he

This has been an ongoing problem the entire time they have been selling these phones.

Incompetence is the only possible explanation.

New Poster

Re: Samsung S9 not unlocking after outright purchase of phone - bogus unlock code provided - x no he

I agree.  I finally got through to another Tier 2 customer service rep (after 45 minutes on hold) who had their unlock department send me both the unlock code (same code as before) as well as the unfreeze code.  He told me to input the unfreeze code first and that sometimes does the trick.  In my case, it did.  Finally able to unlock after nearly three weeks of waiting.

If you're experiencing the same issues, hopefully you can get both codes from them and this will work for you.

Regular Contributor

I got both codes for mine and neither worked. A while back Samsung replaced my device. Sent a refurbished to me with identical IMEI. These devices IMEI and unlock codes are coded with a cpid cert. So even thought my new device has same imei the cert file code is different. And Xfinity unlock code does not work. Samsung said call Xfinity Xfinity says call Samsung. That's what you get when a cable company tries to run a mobile phone community