Community Forum

Samsung S8 Dropped WIFI issue

Contributor

Samsung S8 Dropped WIFI issue

So I have noticed that my S8 will drop my home WIFI randomly it seems. When I swipe down from the top of the screen it shows the Wifi icon and then under that it just says wifi.  I have had this issue for some time. I had originally set my phone to not auto-connect to xfininty WiFi (under wifi advanced setting). The reason for this is when I drive through dense areas my phone tries to connect to every xfinity Wifi and it prevents me from getting internet at all because it does not have the time to connect before the wifi is out of range.  Anywho ... it seems that when I turn back on auto xfinity connect that the issue with my phone dropping my home wifi goes away.  Is anyone else experiencing this issue?  Thanks

Highlighted
Problem Solver

Re: Samsung S8 Dropped WIFI issue

Most Android phones I've owned have this problem with 5ghz networks.  I just turn off the 5ghz network broadcast on my home gateway, and only use 2.4ghz.  Problem solved (for me).  For some reason the 5ghz networks are less stable than 2.4.

Official Employee

cam30era, makes sense since the 5ghz band is newer comparably to the more reliable 2.4ghz band

Either way, the device shouldn't be dropping connection so much, jrose78. Are you seeing this on other devices as well, or just your phone? I can take a look at your modem to see if there might be any signal leakage or maintenance in your area that could be causing these drops. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

I have my own cable modem and wireless router. This issue is not isolated to the 5ghz and it only happens on this phone. From what I could gather just when I turn off auto connect to xfinity.   Its really not a huge issue and more of me just letting you know in case you get some more calls about this.  The auto connect to xfinity feature is part of your overlay of the OS on the phone and as such I bet there is a bug or two in it. 

This a stretch on my part but If I had to guess its like my phone is saying hey there is an xfinity wifi ( I live in a condo complex) so diconnect your current wifi and connect to xfinity but then it says wait he has the setting to not auto connect and there my wifi sits in limbo without connecting to anything now. 

In regards to your comment Ken, even if I lost internet (which I don't) I am not so sure my phone would disconnect from the wifi since the wifi signal would be strong even without internet.

Official Employee

Thanks for the heads up, jrose78. I haven't heard about this issue from other forums users yet, but if you don't see this corrected by the next software update, let me know. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!