Community Forum

SIM Card locking

Regular Visitor

SIM Card locking

I just signed up for Xfinity Mobile and I don't have my phone yet, but I always think about security.

A smartphone is like a universal key for online accounts; most passwords can be reset via email (which we all have on our phones), so I encrypt my phone and set a screen lock pin.

Some accounts, however, can be unlocked via text message.  If a thief removes my SIM card and installs it in another compatible phone, he can send and recieve text messages/calls as if he was me, and thus can compromise many accounts (defeating two-factor authentication, etc).  Screen pins and phone encryption are useless for this scenario.  If I lock my SIM card and it requires it's own PIN upon booting the phone, the thief is thwarted.

I have been unable to find any documentation regarding SIM card locking for xfinity mobile after 20 minutes of googling.

Naturally, I would also need to know how to unblock the SIM card if somehow I fail to enter the correct pin several times and I get locked out of it.

Any help is appreciated.

Regular Visitor

Re: SIM Card locking

We have our phones now and the "settings" menu does offer us the option to lock our SIM cards.  However, it order to do this, we need to know the default PIN for Xfinity SIM cards, and we also need to know the mechanism for unblocking our SIM cards in case we enter the wrong PIN too many times.  We're pretty careful but accidents do happen, and that is a contingency we should be prepared for.

The mobile account management page on the Xfinity website says nothing about any of this, at least as far as I could find.  I hope I'm wrong and I just missed it.

More googling did not help either.  I'd love a customer service response to this.

Thanks much!

Contributor

Hello

I had the same question and Xfinity Mobile customer support team was not able to find an answer.

I looked what was the Verizon Sim default Sim Pin code. The default code is : 1111

But be careful. When I contact Xfinity Mobile customer support team, I have asked for my SIM card PUK code. They had no clue what I was talking about.

After escalating the issue to T3, the customer support person I talk to told me that Xfinity Mobile was not supporting SIM Pin and PUK code.

If your card is locked after trying 3 codes, I do not if Xfinity Mobile will be able to provide you with a PUK code to unlock the card.

New Poster

Hello have you found a way to unlock or lock your sims yet. Im locked out of my phone cause i thought i was supoose to add a pin number to the sims. No one at xfinity now what im talking about. They are nt even directing me to purchase or pick up a new in. Im about to switch companys again if this is not resolved in 2 days.
New Poster

You end up having to get a new one shipped which they can do for you within 24 hours. There customer services has the plus codes but they do not work trust me sitting here with error message and tried their two codes they have twicecno worky

New Poster

I had the same issue, ended up taking my iPhone in to the Xfinity store. They gave me a new SIM card and activated it, problem solved. They did state that they are no longer unlocking the SIM card for customers due to problems.
Highlighted
New Poster

Its funny how Xfinity mobile has nothing to say about this. This PUK "Pin Unlock Code" is super easy to generate and they could do it if they wanted to help us. But, they don't. They want to act like its your problem and your device. And I like how they all act like they don't know what PUK is. If they really don't know, what are they doing in the mobile phone business? It seems like I know more about the phones than they do! They told me monday that a new sim would be here by weds. If it isnt here tomorrow by the end of the day Im sending both my devices back for a refund and going black friday shopping for a new carrier. Im not going without a working phone for another week. And, if they want to try to charge me $35 per device "re-stock" fee I will drop their internet and tv service as well to pay them off by savimg my time and money. What a horriable experience! This problem could be so easy to fix! Most carriers include the PUK on the side of the box! But for some odd reason not this one. Ay yi yi