Community Forum

Root methods found for s8 and plus bit 5

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Root methods found for s8 and plus bit 5

I figured I would post this here too for some of you who need to fix some of what is wrong with your s8 or s8 plus
Several fellars including myself have kept development alive on this device for quite some time now.
Any one with a g950u can root nougat only bit with a new method found we can even bit 5 revert to a engineering kernel and obtain root on nougat with the help safestrap...
The 955u is a very simmilar method
S8 edl safestrap and root method
https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8/development/root-t3904613
S8+ method here
https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8+/development/root-t3909782

We can acheive root on system with locked booloaders. Debloat the bit of Xfinity software. Or like in my case I've fully debranded my s8 to not have any remnince of Xfinity other than the billing app
Regular Contributor

Re: Root methods found for s8 and plus bit 5

On a side note this does not harm Samsung's warranty and this method does not trip Knox. You can always revert back to stock using supplied guides on xda which I am also a member of. And was a moderator for some time. We have a small collection of Xfinity users on there that can avidly and openly complain and attempt to fix there screw ups
New Poster

Is this only for devices running nougat? I got my S8 a little over a month ago and it came with Oreo 8.0 and I'm guessing I have the most recent bootloader since it's so new - v6 maybe? I'm not sure...

Thank you for this and thanks in advance for your reply.

Edit: My baseband version is G950USQU5CSA4 - So I do have v5 bootloader?
Regular Contributor

No root is for nougat but can be applied from pie or oreo upto revision 5 bootloader
Regular Contributor

Yes that's a revision 5. Even new pie is rev 5
New Poster

Hey @themadscientist, hopefully you're still around, but I think I've read somewhere that you've escaped this "wonderful" carrier. If not....did you have any issues with losing complete network service  after going to JRKruse's DSD3? I don't have any problems with any other system including DSC1, but after a few minutes on DSD3 my phone drops connection to Xfinity and forever stays searching for service. Every other system.img I flash works great except this one. Any ideas? Thanks.