Community Forum

Replacing my Home Phone with one of the Xfinity Mobile Lines

Frequent Visitor

Replacing my Home Phone with one of the Xfinity Mobile Lines

Hi,

I currently have the equivalent of a triple play package through AT&T for internet, TV, and home phone. I should also mention that my internet and tv come in on true fiber but not at gigabit speed. I am planning to switch back to Xfinity when my year committment is up next month. I want to keep my home phone number so I was thinking of getting an Xfinity Triple Play but then I thought I might be able to get a Double Play and when I add Xfinity Mobile, port my current home phone to  Xfinity Mobile. I would need to buy a new mobile device to port to but the savings should pay for it in a few months.

Does anyone see any problems with this idea.

Contributor

Re: Replacing my Home Phone with one of the Xfinity Mobile Lines

This is what I did a few months back and so far I’m pleased .  I recommend you get a Bluetooth capable cordless phone set up in the house.  Since this phone is on Wi-Fi the cost  is about four dollars per month.  Now that you can bring your own iPhone you might look into a used SE or 6  and do shared data with another phone line.

Contributor

@wpaulo wrote:

This is what I did a few months back and so far I’m pleased .  I recommend you get a Bluetooth capable cordless phone set up in the house.  Since this phone is on Wi-Fi the cost  is about four dollars per month.  Now that you can bring your own iPhone you might look into a used SE or 6  and do shared data with another phone line.

How are you using the BT capable cordless setup with Xfinity Mobile? Do you have it paired with an iPhone (or similar)? We use Ooma for home phone at about $10/month, but I am always interested in savings Smiley Happy

Frequent Visitor

Hey and thanks for the information.

Rolewen he may be talking about a home phone system that will allow you to connect to a home phone system from a cellphone by BT. The Panasonic system that we already have has about 6 handsets and will allow you to tie in 2 BT phones into the base system so that you could answer the phone that you port your home number to from any of the handsets. It will even let you set up a distinctive ring for the wired phone line (which we would no longer have) and each of the BT connected phones.

I currently have the equivalent of a triple play package through AT&T for internet, TV, and home phone. I should also mention that my internet and tv come in on true fiber but not at gigabit speed. I am planning to switch back to Xfinity when my year committment is up next month. I want to keep my home phone number so I was thinking of getting an Xfinity Triple Play but then I thought I might be able to get a Double Play and when I add Xfinity Mobile, port my current home phone to  Xfinity Mobile. I would need to buy a new mobile device to port to but the savings should pay for it in a few months.

Does anyone see any problems with this idea.

Contributor

Yes Using BT Panasonic cordless system with statiionary iPhone which allows access in many rooms. I also use the YouMail app so I can read or listen to home Voicemail on other devices. 

I considered Ooma but liked the idea of a backup iPhone ( just switch SIMS) . My home iPhone is an SE And the small footprint is preferable occasionaly when hiking.

Frequent Visitor

Why pay $10/month fee to ooma or $6 tax fee to some one. Buy obi device(one time cost) and connect your google voice(with your gmail) and its free no monthly cost at all.  obi200/obi201/obi202 google.

Frequent Visitor

Hey and thanks for the message. It is something of a reality check.

I did some research on Obi (and other alternatives) years ago and it seems like you had to find a "side service" if you wanted to have 911 service.  Is that still the case?

Official Employee

GreatOldiesDJ, I don't see anything wrong with this idea but when you port a landline to a mobile device it can take a little longer to port compared to a mobile to mobile port. So prepare for that. 

KenF