Community Forum

Recent change in unlock policy?

Regular Visitor

Recent change in unlock policy?

I have been with xfinity mobile for a few months. I recently bought a new phone, paid in full. When I contacted customer service to unlock the phone so I can use local SIM card when travelling overseas, I was told I have to wait 30 days from the activation of the new phone. Is this a new rule?

The official policy says "You must have paid for at least one month of XFINITY Mobile service", but I thought it is requirement for the overall service, not a specific phone. Otherwise, it should say "The phone..." like the first 4 rules.

• The phone must be an XFINITY Mobile device.
  • The phone must not be reported lost, stolen, or involved with fraudulent activity.
  • The phone must be paid in full prior to requesting the device unlock. If your device is on a Device Payment Plan, it is ineligible for unlocking.
  • The phone cannot be active on another XFINITY Mobile customer’s account.
  • You must have paid for at least one month of XFINITY Mobile service. 
  • Your XFINITY Mobile account must be in good standing. One exception is if you are an active member of the military—all active-duty military personnel are eligible to have their phones unlocked. 
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Recent change in unlock policy?

@haojunwrote:

I have been with xfinity mobile for a few months. I recently bought a new phone, paid in full. When I contacted customer service to unlock the phone so I can use local SIM card when travelling overseas, I was told I have to wait 30 days from the activation of the new phone. Is this a new rule?

The official policy says "You must have paid for at least one month of XFINITY Mobile service", but I thought it is requirement for the overall service, not a specific phone. Otherwise, it should say "The phone..." like the first 4 rules.

• The phone must not be reported lost, stolen, or involved with fraudulent activity.
  • The phone must be paid in full prior to requesting the device unlock. If your device is on a Device Payment Plan, it is ineligible for unlocking.
  • Your XFINITY Mobile account must be in good standing. One exception is if you are an active member of the military—all active-duty military personnel are eligible to have their phones unlocked. 

There are a few new changes to the unlock policy. The changes are probably due to the amount of fraud going on.

Here are the old ones from a post a while ago:

• Your XFINITY Mobile Account must be in good standing. One exception is if you are an active member of the military—regardless of account standing, all active-duty military personnel are eligible to have their phones unlocked.
Official Employee

Hello haojun, you must have service for at least 30 days in order to be eligible to unlock your phone. For more information please click on this link

Make sure the following things are true:

Regular Visitor

Thanks for the reply. I have paid more than one month of XFINITY Mobile service. If you are requiring every phone instead of the overall service to be at least one month, it should be clearly stated in the policy. e.g. saying "You must have paid for at least one month of XFINITY Mobile service for this phone.", I wouldn't have bought the new phone if you made it clear in the policy.

Official Employee

haojun, your device should be unlocked now. Please post again if you need further assistance. 

KenF