Community Forum

Re: XFINITY and xfinitywifi hotspots not working after Android 8.0 update on Samsung Galaxy S8?

New Poster

Re: XFINITY and xfinitywifi hotspots not working after Android 8.0 update on Samsung Galaxy S8?

I have been having the same problem. I used to use an Xfinity hotspot at work every day with my S7 & all the sudden it stopped connecting. It will try, but say "Failed to obtain IP address." I did have an Android update at some point within the last few weeks but I don't think it happened right after that. Our office has made some changes with their internet configuration but I have no idea if that would affect it. I'm trying to do a chat with a rep. but they seem pretty clueless. 

It's frustrating because I used it so much for work, now I'm just using up my data from Verizon & paying for more. 

New Poster

I'll provide my answers if that helps.

1. Device OEM: Apple/Samsung/LG? Samsung S7

2. Device WiFi MAC  Wifi

3. Issue specific to XFINITY or xfinitywifi or Home WiFi?  xfinitywifi hotspot only

4. Issue noticed in multiple locations or single location?  single location so far

5. Device was connecting to XFINITY/xfinitywifi earlier without any issues? If yes, when is the start date/time for the issue?  Yes, it used to connect with no issues. Since around 5/10 last week

6. Date/Time when the issue seen? Exact time not required.  Since 5/10

7. Location where the issue occurred?  Around Marriottsville, Maryland

8. Any other WiFi Connection Management applications installed in the phone from Google Play Store or App Store?  Not that I know of

9. If it is Android Phone- “Auto-Connect to XFINITY” is ON or OFF?  On

Official Employee

kg24787, thanks for sending this. I'll take a closer look at your auto connect issues. Please send me a private message with your full name and phone number tied to your residential services for help.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I have this exact same issue. I have a Galaxy S9 and cannot connect to XFINITY or xfinitywifi when I'm at work. When I am at home, I connect fine to my home network and when I am out and about I connect to other hotspots just fine. I keep getting the error "Failed to connect to IP address". Very frustrated!

Frequent Visitor

Same problem here as 

New Poster

I have been using Hotspot for my S8 AND my car for over a year. Sometimes when I get into the house I have to switch it back to my network because it stays on the Xfinity network in the house. My carrier is currently Sprint but I am in the process of testing the Sim switch to Xfinity working with tech support.
New Poster

I forgot to mention that I recently updated my S8 to Pie and it still works.
New Poster

I'm having this exact same issue! It's so frustrating. 😭 I was on the phone with Xfinity for a hour trying to get it fixed but everything she tried didn't work. Then I got disconnected. I still have to call back. Did they ever find out what the problem was with your wifi? I hope this gets fixed as soon as possible for all our sake. ❤
New Poster

FYI: Once I updated my s8 to 9.0 I had no wifi hotspot issues and now using my new s10 and not wifi issues at all. 

Hpe this helps.

Contributor

Unfortunately, XFINITY (the secure wifi) still won't connect properly. I've given up on it ever working 😕
Official Employee

Hi All, 

Have you all downloaded the WiFi hotspot app? There is a security profile within the app that needs to remain on your phone in order to successfully connect to the secure XFINITY hotspot. 

Ken

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

Hi Ken! Long time lol. So I have the S10 now with Pie, still the same issue as I started with last year after the oreo update; no certificate for secure XFINITY. Is it still true if we have XM, we should NOT download the hotspot app? Either way, with or without it, still doesn't work.
Official Employee

kamee2109, nice to hear from you again! How ya been? 

Yes, that is still the case, XFINITY Mobile customer don't need to download the app as their app certificate is already provisioned with service. As you've seen here, there are a few folks with Android devices that are seeing issues connecting to wiFi via the hotspots. I am working with engineering now and we are running tests. 

New Poster

Once updated to Android 9.0 my s8 connected fine. Now with my new s10 everything connects automatically. When I am in the hous eI connect to my router automatically.

Hope that helps.

New Poster

All good here, second month on Xfinity Mobile and still no need to use cellular data. WiFi everywhere and faster.

Contributor

@kamee2109 wrote:

Unfortunately, XFINITY (the secure wifi) still won't connect properly. I've given up on it ever working 😕

Hi Ken! Long time lol. So I have the S10 now with Pie, still the same issue as I started with last year after the oreo update; no certificate for secure XFINITY. Is it still true if we have XM, we should NOT download the hotspot app? Either way, with or without it, still doesn't work.

Hey Kamee, remember me? Still the same problem here too. Got a notification last week that someone responded to one of the old threads on this issue and sure enough, they got the "Send me a private email" spiel from the Moderator, so I replied.  Still no fix they're willing to discuss, so it's close another thread time. (XM -We'll make it go away somehow, even if we have to close every thread on here. Everything's fine. Nothing to see here.)

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-Mobile/XFINITY-and-xfinitywifi-hotspots-not-working-after-Andr...

Good to see that they still have the same problem with the S9's and S10's and they're still reaching out to "Engineering".... LOLOL

Official Employee

Hi Everyone,

I'm working with the XFINITY wiFi hotspots team on a similar issue. I believe these issues are related. I will let you know once we are done with the tests and what the fix is when I'm presented with one. Thanks for your patience. 

Ken

Contributor

ComcastKenF,

Thank you for that. This is what we have been waiting for.  Hopefully,  they come up with a real solution this time, instead of more of the same "run around". 

Please let us know.

Thank you. 

Official Employee

Of course. Thanks for your patience, Beachcity. The issue has been reported and I've had it escalated with recorded evidence from a few android MAC address so we'll see what happens next. 

Ken

Frequent Visitor

I started a similar thread a month ago and got zero replies but I am having similar issues but with an iPhone. I’ve been trying to get answers since December of 2018 with no results. I’ll just paste what I posted in the other thread and hope for a reply here. 

Me and my wife both have iPhone 8 plus's and we have Xfinity tv/internet and mobile service. There's this Taco Bell I go to every single day and they use Xfinity for their in-store wifi and according to the mobile hot spot app the same address is a wifi hotspot. We've been Xfinity mobile customers for over a year now and when we first signed up we could connect our phones to the XFINITY wifi hotspot inside the Taco Bell lobby. After about 4 months it became spotty and wouldn't even show up in the list of wifi under phone settings but the app would and still does say there's a hotspot there. We used to actually see the XFINITY, Cable wifi and xfinity wifi all show up in the list and now not a single one of them show up anymore despite the app saying it's there and Taco  Bell using Xfinity for their service........But now if I go 15 feet out into the parking lot it shows up. Go back into the store and it goes away......go back into the parking lot it shows up.......back into the store it vanishes. A lot of times in the parking lot it fails to connect either giving an error "could not connect to XFINITY" or often "incorrect username or password for XFINITY" But it connects just fine ANYWHERE else. For the last 8 months or so I have called different branches of Xfinity mobile, internet and business and have gotten the run around. We've done everything from replacing sim cards to resetting network settings to updating security profiles to the app to uninstalling the app to reinstalling the app. I would really like to get my XFINITY wifi hotspot working inside the store again as I spend a lot of time there and having to use the Taco Bell in-store wifi kicks you off every fifteen minutes and is much slower. We've tried everything to no avail so I'm reaching out here now in hopes of getting some kind of answers. Also for some reason the Cable wifi no longer shows up in the list at that location in the parking lot but the XFINITY wifi and xfinity wifi show up in the list.....but ONLY while in the parking lot when months ago it was working just fine in the lobby of the store.

Official Employee

reewinder, 

Thanks for posting here about your connection issues in the taco bell. At first, it sounded like a congestion issue. When a hotspot becomes congested, or the max amount of users on it at one time is exceeded, then there is usually trouble adding another which results in no connection one way or the other. But the fact that you can connect when you leave the building suggests there might be some wiFi interference at the business. Are you able to connect to other hotspots besides the Taco bell one? 

Ken

Frequent Visitor

Hot spots work at literally everywhere but this location. When we first signed up for Xfinity mobile it worked fine here at this Taco Bell for months and months then just totally quit working. They use Xfinity for their in-store WiFi so I don’t know what’s keeping us from the hot spot. Even in the parking lot the signal is very weak so I don’t know what happened to it. We used to automatically connect to it and now it’s just not even there in the list half the time.

Frequent Visitor

Ken,

Do you have any updates on this issue?  I just signed up for XM today and got a brand new note 10+ and I can't authenticate with the XFINITY

Thanks

Frequent Visitor

wifi1.jpgwifi2.jpg

@reewinder wrote:

Hot spots work at literally everywhere but this location. When we first signed up for Xfinity mobile it worked fine here at this Taco Bell for months and months then just totally quit working. They use Xfinity for their in-store WiFi so I don’t know what’s keeping us from the hot spot. Even in the parking lot the signal is very weak so I don’t know what happened to it. We used to automatically connect to it and now it’s just not even there in the list half the time.

Ok here's photos I took of the hotspots app from inside the Taco Bell lobby. According to the app the hotspot is at the same address as the Taco Bell yet says it's 225 feet from my current location????? How can that even be? Can we get this fixed please????? I've been trying to get this sorted out for almost an entire year now.

Frequent Visitor

IMG_0067.PNGwifi3.jpgIt's really disappointing having to use the Taco Bell wifi instead of the XFINITY wifi because I have to deal with the extremely slow speeds ranging anywhere from 0.05 Mbps up to an average of 3.92 Mbps and being booted off the network and having to rejoin every 15 minutes. Here's screenshots from the Taco Bell wifi earlier today using the Speedtest app.

IMG_0067.PNGwifi3.jpg

New Poster

Why does the xfinity mobile hotspot app require admin permission to my phone?  This seems excessive.  I don't think I'll be granding admin permission to your app.  Does that mean I will no longer have access to the xfinity hotsopts?  If so, it will make me reconsider my Comcast broadband subscription.

Contributor

OK Ken, it has now been over 2 months. We've been patient.  What have the engineers discovered?

Official Employee

Hello all, thank you for your posts.  If you still need assistance please create another post and we will gladly help!

Thank you