Community Forum

Re: WIFI calling?

New Poster

I am currently in France with a LG android phone. I have both the data and roaming data turned off but am connected to wifi. I just place 2 calls and sent 3 text messages to the U.S.with no issues and no apparent charges .
From what I've read, android is not set up with wifi calling at this time but yet it looks like i was able to make these calls and texts. My question is, what's going on.? Am i using WiFi or am i going to see extra charges later on?.
Here's a little background on my situation. My wife and I just signed up fo XM and we both love it. Great service regarding calls and with all of the wifi spots available every we go" there's not much need for data although when we do, it works great.
Official Employee

bertmann57, thanks for posting. We do not offer wiFi calling for android just yet. The phone call you made was not via wifi calling so you will be charged for that and the text messages. I recommend using apps like What's app while connected to wifi to make calls and texts. 

KenF

Frequent Visitor

My iPhone doesn't show WIFI calling as working either... Is it supposed to for my iPhone X?  That would have been amazing on a trip last month.

Official Employee

My iPhone doesn't show WIFI calling as working either... Is it supposed to for my iPhone X?  That would have been amazing on a trip last month.

We rolled our wiFi calling for iPhones last month. Here is more info on how to set it up and identify when it's being used: https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/article/360000126366/what-is-wifi-calling

New Poster

The instructions say that i have to have data roaming turned on to be able to make international calls and send international texts. I had it turned off. Has that changed?
Official Employee

bertmann57 wrote: The instructions say that i have to have data roaming turned on to be able to make international calls and send international texts. I had it turned off. Has that changed? 

No this has not changed. When roaming services are toggled to on, you'll be able to use your phone at the specified rates for the country you're visiting. When they're turned off, your phone won't connect to any non-U.S. cellular networks and you won't incur any roaming charges.

Official Employee