Community Forum

Re: How are your experiences coming from Verizon?

Contributor

Two things I've noticed on my iPhone 8 on Xfinity Mobile coming from Verizon.

1. Latency is TERRIBLE on Xfinity Mobile.  You tap a link on a website, and it takes about 5 times as long to respond as on Verizon.  This makes your phone feel super slow even though the phone is fast, it's the network thats slow. My typical latency (ping times) when on Verizon was 35-50ms.  On Xfinity Mobile it's 140-250ms.  Even worse is that Xfinity Mobile's terms of service say they'll do 100ms or better- I've never seen a ping less than 140ms on my phone from any location.

2. You know the Verizon 1X network that your phone connects to when you're out in rural areas?  Verizon's coverage that they're known for?  On Xfinity Mobile 1X does not work.  It shows up as "Xfinity Mobile 1X" at the top of my phone screen but calls, texts, and data simply do not work on 1X.

Simpy put-  Coverage is not as good as Verizon.  Performance is not as good as Verizon.

Problem Solver

@Heronn wrote:

Two things I've noticed on my iPhone 8 on Xfinity Mobile coming from Verizon.

1. Latency is TERRIBLE on Xfinity Mobile.  You tap a link on a website, and it takes about 5 times as long to respond as on Verizon.  This makes your phone feel super slow even though the phone is fast, it's the network thats slow. My typical latency (ping times) when on Verizon was 35-50ms.  On Xfinity Mobile it's 140-250ms.  Even worse is that Xfinity Mobile's terms of service say they'll do 100ms or better- I've never seen a ping less than 140ms on my phone from any location.

2. You know the Verizon 1X network that your phone connects to when you're out in rural areas?  Verizon's coverage that they're known for?  On Xfinity Mobile 1X does not work.  It shows up as "Xfinity Mobile 1X" at the top of my phone screen but calls, texts, and data simply do not work on 1X.

Simpy put-  Coverage is not as good as Verizon.  Performance is not as good as Verizon.

I have no doubt that your issues are real.  But your experience isn't the same as mine, with my S8+.  Latency is not a noticable issue.  My phone does connect to 1X (CDMA) when in rural areas.  And my coverage and performance are identical to VZW, with the exception of no WiFi calling.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Happy with overall value. Ping stinks bigtime! I have no VOLTE suddenly after 2 months of having talk+data simultanoiusly. Also have no visual voicmemail and no hotspot but I somewhat expected that with a BYOD iPhone.  

Problem Solver

@AirDogU2 wrote:

I have no VOLTE suddenly after 2 months of having talk+data simultanoiusly. Also have no visual voicmemail and no hotspot but I somewhat expected that with a BYOD iPhone.  

This is what happens to nearly everyone after 2 months with an unsanctioned BYOD device.

Official Employee

Heronn, thanks for posting your coverage and latency concerns. Some customers will see higher latency and less coverage as they move further and further from the nearest tower. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Official Employee

ComcastKenF we've been over this- it's not a signal issue for me...  Remember when you had me install an app and you checked my phone out and then asked teir2 what they thought and none of you could figure it out?  Like a week ago...  Yeah, not a signal issue.

I have spoken with Tier 2 Heronn. They have educated me that latency and 1x coverage is based on proximity to the nearest tower. If you're seeing latency and coverage issue, that improves as you move closer to the tower. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

I have spoken with Tier 2 Heronn. They have educated me that latency and 1x coverage is based on proximity to the nearest tower. If you're seeing latency and coverage issue, that improves as you move closer to the tower. 

Lol how much closer to the tower do I need to be...  Got full bars and XM still doesn't work.

IMG_0543.jpg

Official Employee

Lol how much closer to the tower do I need to be...  Got full bars and XM still doesn't work.

IMG_0543.jpg

I was not provided that information. Bar signal signifies signal strength for voice coverage not tower proximity.