Community Forum

Re: Credit check

Regular Visitor

I was on the phone for an hour last night. I lock my credit reports down. It's a cost every time I open them. But I like being secure. I don't finance much. But when Comcast offered BYOD I thought great!. All I'm paying for its data and already have service. Go to the store, credit check... Ummmmmmmmmmm for what? 2 GB of data? Really? I totally get it if I'm buying phones. But for BYOD customers that's just stupid. Take a inquiry for THAT? STUPID BUSINESS model Comcast.
Official Employee

RobertVol, a credit check is required to start service regardless of how the phone is added to the account (BYOD or purchase). 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

ComcastKenF....if you are a current internet/tv customer and opt to purchase a phone thru the xfinity mobile program will a credit check be ran again?

Lin

Official Employee

Lindak888 wrote: ComcastKenF....if you are a current internet/tv customer and opt to purchase a phone thru the xfinity mobile program will a credit check be ran again? Lin

You must have Comcast internet to sign up for Xfinity Mobile, and a credit check may be required for some customers but not all. If we need to gather this information we will ask before performing the credit check. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Tags (1)
Regular Visitor

You missed the point. I understood whether you brought your own phone or not it's a credit check. The point is hard credit checks for data on a phone brought by the consumer is no risk when the consumer is ALREADY A comcast customer with high speed internet. 2gb of data with no risk of needing to recover any hardware and adding hard pulls on someone's credit is still a stupid pricing model.
Regular Visitor

Also someone might want to get corrections out to the media

http://wapo.st/2o1HGIt?tid=ss_mail-amp

And here is the quote:

"Beyond the company's existing hotspot network, its 29 million customers represent a target audience that is already tied into Comcast's product and business ecosystem. Those customers will not need to undergo a separate credit check for Xfinity Mobile service, and any billing and shipping information will be pre-populated in Comcast's online sign-up forms."

No wonder customers are confused. A retraction might be in order. Just sayin
New Poster

I unfroze my Equifax account for the credit check but still no luck.

New Poster

Yes, I have excellent credit.  Unfroze my Eq Fax credit and let them run it, did not pass for BYOD.

BUT if I purchase an i-Phone from xfinity mobile then it passes, lets me  get a line.

Very strange. Dont want to buy a phone I already have i-Phone.

Regular Visitor

It's the dumbest policy I've ever seen. I have a phone. I already have Xfinity service. I've had it off and on for over 7 years. I've got high speed internet. I totally agree with a credit check if you have hardware like a new phone. There's a risk there. But asking to have an EXISTING CONTINUOUS customer for a hard pull to lower their credit for an ongoing 12 bucks a month per gig is just stupid. I went ahead and got a iPhone 8 256 GB phone and just stayed with Verizon. Ludicrous policy. Xfinity you're losing money.
New Poster

They do not care. They do not care that everyone is cutting cable either. I am a stock holder & I care.
New Poster

I had this issue just today and was told to come back next year and try again. It's really amazing that something like this can't be resolved quickly and easily. (Makes me wonder what other things will go wrong if I had switched.) 

They ran a credit check for a existing customer for a BYOD inquire. The credit check was *rejected* do to a freeze and now I'm told "Sorry - Try again next year when our system allows it." I'm no expert but it seems to me you would want to limit the number of inquires that can be made and declined in thirty days. However, you might want to allow two or three if the return from Equifax is rejected/frozen.  Apparently whoever designed the system never considered frozen credit accounts.  

In fairness I did have a similar problem with Sprint a few years ago. The difference was that when I called they understood the issue and dealt with it manually while the system was updated. 

We are living in a "Amazon" world now and if those expectations and standards aren't met somebody else will get my business.

New Poster

I have been an xfinity customer for months. I have a bundled service with mobile, land and tv. They still have not started the mobile service despite the fact that i unfroze my credit. They say it is because it used to be frozen. Ridiculous. What a bunch of amateurs. They say they don't know when they can fix their system.
Frequent Visitor

I really don't think the people on the street know what the problem is.

I was also rejected trying to add a third three additional lines, lines 3, 4, and 5, to my account within a few days. I had been an xfinity customer for 20 years, a mobile customer for more than one year and credit monitoring services show my credit score is 825+. I just think if you try to add more than 2 lines at a time you are going to get rejected. 

One month later I added the third line, the fifth total, without incident. 

Frequent Visitor

Xfinity Mobile is postpaid, so it doesn't matter because they'll still run your credit. XM isn't prepaid, like Boost Mobile or Metro. Think of XM as Sprint, ATT, TMo, and Verizon.