Community Forum

Re: Bringing my own phone

Regular Visitor

This makes absolutely no sense that you cannot bring your own Android phone if it is on Verizon already. You guys are just using Verizon's Network, so you know it is compatible. Verizon's Network uses CDMA and if I bring a phone, for example a Nexus 6 that is an unlocked World phone that will work on any network on Earth, there is absolutely no reason to say it cannot work. The only reason it would not work is because you guys will not allow it. There is no programming or changes at all that need to be done.
On that same note, any Verizon CDMA phone that is unlocked will already work on your network, it doesn't have to be a world phone. So I don't understand what your reasoning behind blocking people from bringing an unlocked Verizon CDMA phone? Since all you guys are going to do is turn around and activate it on Verizon's network, it's just being billed through you.
So to me the only logical reason that you guys are blocking all Android phones and allowing some iPhones is you are being paid by Apple, which is also the only reason you're only allowing a few generations of iPhones forcing people to buy a new phone.
If I am wrong I would love to hear your real reason for not allowing an unlocked Verizon CDMA phone on your Verizon network.
Contributor

I learned long time ago, most problems are not "technical."  It could be because of training, Xfinity employees need to be trained to support the many flavors of Android blah-blah. Some business, savy-ly may I say try to keep it simple by supporting one and one type of equipment. But I don't work for them I really don't know, could be a simple business decision, any corporation are entitled to make. Bottom line is, you are told currently you can only BYOD iPhone, they didn't hide it from you.  Take it or leave it.

Highlighted
Official Employee

trbomp5, I understand your frustrations and your reasoning. Network compatibility is just the icing on the cake. Back end android provisioning also has to be fleshed out before android BYOD can be done (among other things, I'm sure). 

Again, We will be bring android BYOD later this year.