Community Forum

Purchasing SIM's without devices

Frequent Visitor

Purchasing SIM's without devices

After spending 4 hours on the phone last week trying to pre-order my 2 x iPhone 8's - I discovered that one of them had been cancelled because tier_2 automatically closed a ticket because they never got around to processing my answers to their questions!!!

I spent another 2 hours on the phone to support trying to find this out.

I couldn't order a new one because the order for the first one was still pending... so I just cancelled them both.

I bought the two same phones directly from Apple (carrier unlocked) with zero problems.

Now, I'm still willing to give XM a chance if I can get 2 x SIM cards only (no devices required) - I know that officially, they don't support BYOD, but everyone who has tried it says it works fine.

How do I get a couple of SIM cards without purchasing devices?

Alternatively, I'm just going to go with Verizon Pre-paid or T-Mobile...  this whole experience has been a total farce.  Seriously some of the worst customer service I've EVER experienced (and that's not just internet hyperbole!)

Regular Contributor

Re: Purchasing SIM's without devices

@hexland wrote:

How do I get a couple of SIM cards without purchasing devices?

No such thing. What you're asking for is BYOD option and it's not currently offered by XM.

Some of us came over by purchasing a $1 phone and we used the SIM from that $1 phone, but that promo ended 9-13. It's back to $180 now, and the last time I checked, it's out of stock, so you can't even get it now even if you wanted to.

Bottom line, you can't just "get a couple of SIM cards' without purchasing devices. It's not offered. 

Frequent Visitor

I just realized - I have a box sitting here with 2 x iPhone 7+'s and activation kits... (I've never opened the box, so it never occurred to me until now)

I've arranged RMA numbers to return the 7's so I could get the 8's on pre-order...  I could just keep the activation kits and return the phones...

Regular Contributor

@hexland wrote:

I just realized - I have a box sitting here with 2 x iPhone 7+'s and activation kits... (I've never opened the box, so it never occurred to me until now)

I've arranged RMA numbers to return the 7's so I could get the 8's on pre-order...  I could just keep the activation kits and return the phones...

And what makes you think XM will not de-activate the lines of the two 7's once they've been returned? 

Official Employee

hexland wrote:

And what makes you think XM will not de-activate the lines of the two 7's once they've been returned? 

That is typically what happens. There must be an active XFINITY Mobile IMEI on the account to remain active. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Problem Solver

@ComcastKenF wrote:

There must be an activate XFINITY Mobile IMEI on the account to remain active. 

Ken, just for the sake of clairity, does this mean that if one buys an XM phone, then subsequently switches the XM SIM to a non-XM phone and sells the originally purchased XM device, that the account could be deactivated?

Official Employee

Playing devil's advocate, eh cam30era? haha. 

That's a great question and to be honest, I'm not sure of the answer. I have come across accounts here and there with generic IMEIs attached but they were still active. In those cases, they had XFINITY Mobile IMEIs on other lines, so it's hard to say for sure. And I'm not sure if those original devices were returned or not. 

Returning the original phones on an account is a part of the cancellation process, especially within the first 30 days. If you didn't return the phone for any reason, the IMEI's would still be "a part of the account" so I don't see why the account would be deactivated. Things change if the phones are returned but it might not be necessarily true if the phones aren't "returned" persay. Can't say for sure. 

KenF

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@cam30era wrote:

@ComcastKenF wrote:

There must be an activate XFINITY Mobile IMEI on the account to remain active. 

Ken, just for the sake of clairity, does this mean that if one buys an XM phone, then subsequently switches the XM SIM to a non-XM phone and sells the originally purchased XM device, that the account could be deactivated?

ComcastKenF has given his answer. I'm going to offer my take -- purely from a pedestrian end-user perspective. I do not believe XM will deactivate the account if the SIM is being used and the XM phone was not returned to XM. Let me give an example. Say you purchased a LG X Charge from XM. Once you receive the X Charge, you immediately swap out the XM SIM from the X Charge and put it into your own iPhone 7. You then proceed to give your X Charge to a friend -- or you sell it to your friend -- to use on another service provider. Does XM even know you've given away -- or sold -- your LG X Charge? I don't think so. Neither does XM care. So long as you're paying the monthly fee, I think frankly XM doesn't care. 

But in my example, no XM phone was returned to XM. The LG X Charge is kept to be given away or sold. If after taking out the XM SIM and you return the LG X Charge for a refund, then I believe, more often than not, XM will terminate that account and the XM SIM that was included with the XM phone will become deactived. 

The original poster (OP) Hexland wanted to keep the XM SIMS but return the (2) iPhone 7s he purchased from XM. I believe in that instance, XM, more likely than not, would have eventually deactivated the two XM SIMs that came with the iPhone 7s once they have been returned.