Community Forum

Problem receiving short code SMS

Contributor

Problem receiving short code SMS

I have just run into an issue that I did not have before porting my number over from Verizon to Xfinity mobile.  I have verified that I am not receiving short code SMS from at least one company, clearXchange.  I have received other short codes but not this one.  ClearXchange sends a short code SMS to verify account details.  This worked several weeks ago under Verizon but no longer gets received after number ported to Xfinity.  Not sure if XM now being an MVNO and has their own network look-ups or short code spam filters or not.  Maybe it still passes through Verizon's look-ups and filters.  Anyone else missing some short code SMS's?

Official Employee

Re: Problem receiving short code SMS

Lonelyboy, how often do you get the short codes? Have you tried removing your sim card and then reinserting? This will get your phone to reconnect to the closest tower--something I'd recommend doing after a successful port. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Hello ComcastKenF, I do not receive short codes that often.  I think most of the ones I get I initiate because some 2 factor or account confirmation codes are being exchanged.  I have cycled my SIM since activation.  I have gone back through some other short codes received and verified they work because many of them have HELP and you can get a response back from the short code owner that way.  I have not gone through all of them but just a few to confirm that short codes at least work in general.

Contributor

I am not going to worry much about it right now as it is just one number so far.  I only bring it up because it worked under Verizon and now does not.  There may be others but I won't know until it happens again for somebody different.  And again it may have nothing to do with moving from one provider to another however number porting has been blamed in the past along with a host of other things.

Problem Solver

Funny, I seem to be having troubles receiving short code SMS from one particular sender tonight. Any guesses on the sender? ...Comcast/Xfinity! I have 2 factor authentication set up on my account, and I'm not receiving any codes via text when I try to log in (but the email option works). I've verified that I'm receiving short code SMS from other companies. I just activated my phone last night, and everything else has been working fine so far. Not sure if this is just a temporary problem tonight or whether the problem is at the sending or receiving end, but either way, I can be sure that the problem is with Comcast!

Official Employee

-Mike, I recommend power cycling your device and removing the sim card. If you can get short codes from everywhere but one particular sender, I'd recommend reaching out to them. 

KenF

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Problem Solver

Yes, I tried power cycling iPhone and reinserting SIM last night. Problem is still occurring today. I also reported the problem via SMS to Xfinity Mobile support today.

Does anyone else here use two factor authentication to login to their Comcast account, and if so, are you able to receive verification codes via SMS today? Thanks.

Problem Solver

Accidental double post.
Problem Solver

I just verified that my wife's phone does receive the Xfinity verification code SMS messages while mine does not. Both are iPhone 7 and were sent in the same shipment. The outgoing SMS messages were generated from the same Comcast account management page- first tried to add one mobile phone contact number, then the other, so no difference at the sending end. Looks like Xfinity Mobile is blocking these SMS messages on my phone.

And my phone is not configured to block this contact.
Official Employee

-Mike, that's pretty strange. We can try swapping out your sim card to see if that resolves it. Let me know. 

KenF

Problem Solver

Thanks, KenF. However, after a few more tests, now I suspect something at the Comcast sending end. If I text HELP to 266-278 I do receive the HELP response back from Comcast. That says to me that texts from 266-278 aren't being blocked after all. It's just the verification code texts that aren't getting through.

I suspect that Comcast is using an SMS gateway of some kind and that it is trying to send the verification code texts to my previous phone provider. I think I need to get Comcast to forget that association between my number and my previous phone provider. However, removing my mobile phone number from the Comcast My Account page didn't help.
Problem Solver

Short code SMS from Comcast (266-278) is now working for me! I now receive the Comcast verification codes and I can re-enable Two Way Verification for signing into my account.

I never talked to a Comcast rep, so I suspect that it just took awhile for Comcast to stop routing SMS to my previous phone provider. I activated my phone and ported my number 6 days ago.
New Poster

I am having the same issue with Zelle, which is the new name for ClearXchange.

This is not an Xfinity problem.  Apparently, an increasingly common form of fraud is to try to take over someone's accounts by porting their number away without their permission, in order to get 2FA text messages.  A number of financial institutions, including Zelle/ClearXchange, have a way to be notified when a customer's registered phone number has been ported, and then they block sending SMS to that number until they are satisfied that the port is legitimate.

Capital One and Wells Fargo did the same thing to me.  I had to call Wells Fargo; Capital One I was able to do by logging in to my account online.  

Zelle has been harder to resolve; when I called yesterday the 2nd-level support person wasn't able to resolve it, but she opened a ticket and I should be hearing back "within 24 to 48 hours."

Anyway, the point is this is deliberate on ClearXchange/Zelle's part because they saw that your number ported.  They aren't even trying to send the SMS, as a security measure.  Same thing would have happened regardless of where you ported to.  

Give ClearXchange a call and hopefully you can get it resolved with them.

@Lonelyboy wrote:

I have just run into an issue that I did not have before porting my number over from Verizon to Xfinity mobile.  I have verified that I am not receiving short code SMS from at least one company, clearXchange.  I have received other short codes but not this one.  ClearXchange sends a short code SMS to verify account details.  This worked several weeks ago under Verizon but no longer gets received after number ported to Xfinity.  Not sure if XM now being an MVNO and has their own network look-ups or short code spam filters or not.  Maybe it still passes through Verizon's look-ups and filters.  Anyone else missing some short code SMS's?

Problem Solver

Yes, I agree now that it is intentional for fraud protection. I figured that out today when I started receiving emails from a number of companies saying that they had detected a change in mobile phone providers and that they had disabled phone related services.
Contributor

Good information ribbitribbit.  This makes complete sense.  I did not follow through with clearXchange yet because the move to Zelle is not yet fully supported by my bank so it was not a priority.  

Due to the Equifax breach I have been fine tuning a ton of alerts from various financial institutions and I am happy to say not a single further missed short code.