Community Forum

Porting from google voice

New Poster

Porting from google voice

Hello. I ported a number from Google Voice to Xfinity Mobile on Sunday, 05/19/2019, at the Xfinity store.  The iPhone 6 I’m using is unlocked and was previously used on AT&T and Cricket Wireless, although it has not been used on WiFi for approx 18 months.  According to Google, the number is unlocked and available for porting.  According to Xfinity Mobile, the phone is locked; to reiterate, the phone is not locked and I have confirmed that with AT&T here the phone was first used.  I’ve seen troubleshooting on the forums about using a voicemail pin (I did that), using the google address (no one asked me for that at the store), and using the phone number as the account number (I’m not sure what the rep at the store used).  Are you able to help track down where I am in the porting process?  @ComcastKenF, you’ve been helpful to others in porting over from Google Voice.  Thanks.

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Porting from google voice

From my experience I had 2 ATT phones that were unlocked through them that would automatically lock back to ATT when using a different carrier. Double check that it is unlocked
New Poster

Thanks! After 8 hours on the phone between Apple and AT&T (including escalated support with both) and a brief visit to the xfinity store, I went to the Apple store and the first “genius” I talked to identified that as the likely issue - he could see the “next” provision was to AT&T instead of multi-mode unlock. Went home, called AT&T again, got escalated and in 24 hours, had an unlocked phone. Now waiting on the google voice port to Xfinity Mobile - approximately 24 hours in at this point.
New Poster

I have ordered a new mobile in Xfinity which will be delivered on Wednesday night. I need to port my Google Voice to Xfinity. Do i need to wait until the mobile arrives or can i initiate the porting now itself? 

Any suggestions 

Official Employee

Thanks! After 8 hours on the phone between Apple and AT&T (including escalated support with both) and a brief visit to the xfinity store, I went to the Apple store and the first “genius” I talked to identified that as the likely issue - he could see the “next” provision was to AT&T instead of multi-mode unlock. Went home, called AT&T again, got escalated and in 24 hours, had an unlocked phone. Now waiting on the google voice port to Xfinity Mobile - approximately 24 hours in at this point.

Bro12, glad to hear it! I know how important it is to keep your number so I'm glad you were able to get the unlock done fully and we are in progress with your port. So you have the proper expectation, it takes four to seven business days to complete the porting process with Google Voice ports. If the port is still processing after that time, please let me know. 

I have ordered a new mobile in Xfinity which will be delivered on Wednesday night. I need to port my Google Voice to Xfinity. Do i need to wait until the mobile arrives or can i initiate the porting now itself? 

Any suggestions 

mystique07, You can begin the port process now if you like. I prefer waiting until the device arrives to make sure there aren't any unexpected shipping delays. It would be an interesting situation if you start the port and it ports to a device you don't have in your possession yet! 

Ken

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Thanks for the reply. Once AT&T unlocked my phone, the port took a little over 48 hours for Google Voice to complete the port (Google Voice notified me by email). I called Xfinity as my other Xfinity sim still worked in the (now unlocked) phone and the new Xfinity sim (associated with the ported number) would not work. I was helped on phone support by a Tier 2 rep, who completed some steps manually in the Xfinity system (not sure what) that he said may have automatically updated over the next 24 hours. The phone reps were always helpful, even though they often weren’t very knowledgeable about the possible things that could be going wrong with my activation - once they heard “Google Voice”, the stock response was “keep waiting.” In the end it worked out, and I’m happy with the service; I just wasn’t expecting to have to take such a proactive role myself.
Official Employee

Thanks for the reply. Once AT&T unlocked my phone, the port took a little over 48 hours for Google Voice to complete the port (Google Voice notified me by email). I called Xfinity as my other Xfinity sim still worked in the (now unlocked) phone and the new Xfinity sim (associated with the ported number) would not work. I was helped on phone support by a Tier 2 rep, who completed some steps manually in the Xfinity system (not sure what) that he said may have automatically updated over the next 24 hours. The phone reps were always helpful, even though they often weren’t very knowledgeable about the possible things that could be going wrong with my activation - once they heard “Google Voice”, the stock response was “keep waiting.” In the end it worked out, and I’m happy with the service; I just wasn’t expecting to have to take such a proactive role myself.

Bro12, you shouldn't have too much of a hand in this save providing us with your Google Voice account info. Sorry that this experience wasn't as streamline as we would have liked. Glad to hear everything worked out and you're enjoying the service. I encourage you to download the XFINITY Mobile app so you can get easy access to the important details of your account and even change your data plan quickly as needed! Thanks for your business and don't hesitate to post again if you need assistance. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!