Community Forum

Pixel 3 unlocked

Contributor

Pixel 3 unlocked

I have asked about this before, but am confused. So If I bring an unlocked Android, what kind of support will I possibly not have?
Official Employee

Re: Pixel 3 unlocked

Hello Mrsfwh3, currently Androids are not eligible for BYOD. Only IPhones can be brought over from another carrier, we are working on extending the BYOD program to Android devices in the near future. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Even an unlocked phone?
Valued Contributor

@Mrsfwh3 wrote:
Even an unlocked phone?

It couldn't possibly work if it was not unlocked, that is not the issue. BYOD Android phones are at this time not supported as an Xfinity Mobile  policy.

Contributor

What does not "supported" mean? I really want the Pixel but want to keep XM.
Valued Contributor

@Mrsfwh3 wrote:
What does not "supported" mean? I really want the Pixel but want to keep XM.

Not supported means:

If you take your own Android phone into an Xfinity Mobile store they will not activate it on your account. This means they will not give you a SIM card for it. They will not port a number to it. All they will do is tell you NO.

If you already have a phone currently active on Xfinity Mobile and you remove the SIM card from it and put it into another phone not currently active on XM, it may or may not (partially or fully) work. However if you have any type of problem that requires technical support from Xfinity Mobile, they may deny support to you because you are in an unsupported configuration.

Contributor

Thanks for the explanation. It really stinks because they would get so many more customers if they accepted Androids from other carriers.
Valued Contributor

@Mrsfwh3 wrote:
Thanks for the explanation. It really stinks because they would get so many more customers if they accepted Androids from other carriers.

XM claims that they will be supporting BYOD android phones soon. The problem is that they have been saying this for a long time and so far have nothing to show for it.

Official Employee

Mrsfwh3 wrote: Thanks for the explanation. It really stinks because they would get so many more customers if they accepted Androids from other carriers.

The information that (gderf) provided is correct, we plan on rolling out BYOD to all Android devices in the near future but at this time there is no set date on when this will happen. Feel free to reach back out to me here or via PM if you have any further questions. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

FWIW, I have a Pixel 2 that I installed a XM SIM card into (pulled from their cheap Moto phone that I purchased for $5/mo.) and everything except Visual Voicemail seems to work perfectly.
Valued Contributor

@_tyke_ wrote:
FWIW, I have a Pixel 2 that I installed a XM SIM card into (pulled from their cheap Moto phone that I purchased for $5/mo.) and everything except Visual Voicemail seems to work perfectly.

Mobile Hotspot is the other feature that is frequently broken when SIM swapping. Does that work for you or is the feature absent in that phone entirely?

Contributor

...and who needs Visual Voicemail??? 

@_tyke_ wrote:

Contributor

I dont have to have visual voicemail or mobile hot spot. Really debating here....
Official Employee

Mrsfwh3 wrote: I dont have to have visual voicemail or mobile hot spot. Really debating here....

Although placing an already active SIM card in a Pixel device may work, this is not recommended due to more than just the visual voicemail feature not working properly. The best option is to purchase an Android device from us online or in an Xfinity mobile store to ensure everything works properly. 

Contributor

I obviously am not interested in just any Android device. (I have an S9) I prefer a pure Android device, but I like my XM service. It may be time to change carriers, though, since XM is a bit restrictive.
New Poster

An unlocked/ vzw Android phone will work and the pixel will also guess I'm doing it hotspot seems to work fine for me just saying
Official Employee

Mrsfwh3 wrote: I obviously am not interested in just any Android device. (I have an S9) I prefer a pure Android device, but I like my XM service. It may be time to change carriers, though, since XM is a bit restrictive.

I understand your concern, we're in the middle of testing out the final stages of our final BYOD program for Android equipment. Although there is no set release date for this program, we do plan on having it available to the public soon.

Frequent Visitor

Pixel 3 does work fine. VoLTE works, hotspot works, visual voicemail does not work. But you can always call in to voicemail. This is based off my pixel 3XL that I swapped my sim into from iPhone X.
Regular Visitor

@ComcastAmir wrote:

Mrsfwh3 wrote: I obviously am not interested in just any Android device. (I have an S9) I prefer a pure Android device, but I like my XM service. It may be time to change carriers, though, since XM is a bit restrictive.

I understand your concern, we're in the middle of testing out the final stages of our final BYOD program for Android equipment. Although there is no set release date for this program, we do plan on having it available to the public soon.

Well if you need a beta tester I have a Pixel XL and a Pixel 3 XL I am looking to bring over to XM!

New Poster

=( Same issue for me... I have been waiting for the Google Pixel 3 and now that it's released I noticed I must go with Verizon and pay an extra $20/mo.  I guess I must choose Xfinity with Samsung(that is a good phone also) or the Pixel 3 with Verizon.  The pixel 3 with Verizon is going to be too much for me though as it would be $20/mo x 36 months(~$720) just for service.  I was hoping I could buy it unlocked and use it with Comcast but that is not fully supported and I don't want issue down the road.

Frequent Visitor

Mobile hotspots seem to work - I know I've connected automatically to some Xfinity wifi hotspots, but haven't done any definitive testing.
Valued Contributor

@_tyke_ wrote:
Mobile hotspots seem to work - I know I've connected automatically to some Xfinity wifi hotspots, but haven't done any definitive testing.

Using mobile hotspots means using WiFi connectivity and I do not recalll ever seeing any reports that this did not work on any BYOD devices used on the network by SIM swapping. However, not being able to turn the phone itself into a WiFi hotspot has been reported as a problem many times.

Highlighted
Contributor

To answer your original question...None

No support....

Didnt say it would not work.