Community Forum

Phone exchange after having the phone for 5 days.

New Poster

Phone exchange after having the phone for 5 days.

My fiance and I purchased 2 phones (same phones, different color) on 1-7-18. They were Galaxy s8 plus. We were coming from Verizon and both had iPhone X's (Verizon is a different issue). The Xfinity office we went to didn't have any iPhones. I really wanted to keep my X, my fiance didn't like it much and wanted a 8 plus. We were told they could ship us the phones and if we wanted to keep our number we would be without a phone for a few days. We can't do that because of our job. We figured the s8 plus was a nice phone and it would be fine. After a few days of use we both wanted our iPhones back. I called customer service and they said we could exchange them. They were able to process my exchange but for some reason cannot process hers. They are telling me I have to go back to the store since it was purchased there. I don't see how it's possible to process my phone over the phone but have to go into store for hers? Anyway after going to the store they said they can't because they have no phones in stock. So I call back and they tell me the same thing ( I need to go to the store where they were purchased) is there anyone out there that can get her exchange processed and get her the phone she wants? This has all been very frustrating to say the least.
Official Employee

Re: Phone exchange after having the phone for 5 days.

Spartans_08, thanks for posting and I understand your frustration. 

When you purchase a device online, it must be exchanged the same way.  If you purchase a device in the store, it must be exchanged in the store. This is an inventory and tracking concern. This policy exists with other carriers as well.

New Poster

I would be fine with that. The problem is that were able to exchange my device that I got from the same store at the same time as hers over the phone. I don't understand how that can exchange one over the phone and not the other.
Problem Solver

Now that Xfinity has BYOD, you might ask the store about this option:
1) You bring in your own iPhone X (either your previous Verizon one or a new one from Apple) and activate it on a new line of service.
2) Transfer phone number from S8+ to this iPhone.
3) Return S8+ for refund and cancel that line of service.

The potential problem with this plan is that Xfinity supposedly can't transfer a number from one line to another according to another thread on this forum. That seems ridiculous to me, but they may not have that capability yet.
Official Employee

I would be fine with that. The problem is that were able to exchange my device that I got from the same store at the same time as hers over the phone. I don't understand how that can exchange one over the phone and not the other.

Spartans_08, if I am understanding correctly, your device was given to you, in your hands, in the store--correct? If so, your device can be exchanged in store, because it came from a store's inventory. Even though the call was placed in the store for your wife's phone, your wife's phone wasn't taken from a store's physical inventory. It was taken from inventory at the warehouse which is where all online orders come from. Therefore, it also must be exchanged from the warehouse's inventory.