Community Forum

Phone activation not complete after 2 days?

Highlighted
New Poster

Phone activation not complete after 2 days?

After two days of submitting my activation request, I still cannot make any phone calls and every time I try I get something like "Welcome to Verizon Wireless, We are unable to complete your call, to speak to a customer service representative".From my Google Voice account, "Google Voice has successfully approved your request, but the carrier to whom you are porting hasn't completed their necessary action". When I log into my Xfinity Mobile account I still see 'activation pending'.

From my past experience with any other wireless carrier, number porting and activation should take no more than a couple minutes. 2 days and still incomplete is unheard of. Can you track where the porting process is at right now?

Valued Contributor

Re: Phone activation not complete after 2 days?

Hello Helen100, I had a similar issue when activating the phone. Not exactly the same issue as yours but somewhat similar.  I bought and activated at the store (last week) and ported my Verizon number as well.  The issue is when phone booted up after the activation was complete,  I was still seeing "Verizon 4G LTE" (or Verizon Wireless) at the top left corner of the iPhone.  I was able to make phone calls but Data wasnt working.  For the phone to work,  it has to display "Xfinity Mobile" at the top.  What Xfinity mobile does during activation is that it pushes a network settings update over the air, this resets the carrier, network settings, data settings, etc on phone to the desired Xfinity mobile settings.  Looks like this step didnt happen in your case.  This didnt happen for me as well and It took about 3+ hours at the store to get this to work.  The problem as I understood is that for the network settings push to happen, 1. the iPhone must be on its latest version/patch - my device was missing a patch update and 2. for all these to happen, the device must be connected to a working internet connection - since the CS was setting this on the cellular connection (where data wasnt working), we got into a loop and no one was able to figure this out.  After about three hours at the store, they figured this out and was able to set up one phone (I bought two).  It was too late and I wasnt willing to stay any longer, so I took home the other inactive device and followed the below steps, connected to the wifi first, updated the iOS, and automatically the "network" update push from Xfinity came about.  This fixed the phone correctly and completed the activation.

So if you are on an iPhone, do the below (I posted this on another thread):

1. Completely erase the phone (mine was new, so nothing to lose here)
2. Boot up and set up as new. When navigating through the device set up, I skipped through most - touch id, passcode, iCloud, blah blah...(all these can be set up later)  and while setting it up, connect to the home Wifi.   Do not choose the cellular connection for set up.
3. After the set up is complete, went to settings, checked for software update and updated to the latest IOS version (this is important for th e Xfinity settings "update" in step 5)
4. Reboot the device. Up until this time the network on the top left corner of the phone was showing "Verizon LTE". This is incorrect. It should show Xfinity Mobile; otherwise the phone wouldnt work (you may be able to make a call but data will not work)
5. When the phone started up, there was a pop-up to "update"; this I believe is the key. This updates the network/carrier settings to change from Verizon to Xfinity Mobile. This step is the critical part. Until you see this "update" the phone wont work. For this "update" to pop-up, the phone must be connected to a working internet/wifi. 
6. Once the "update" was complete, reboot the device. You should see "Xfinity Mobile" on the top left from now. This should complete the activation and the phone is ready to go.

Try this out and post here.  It may work or may not but its worth a shot.

Hope this helps

New Poster

Hi Cmouly2

Thanks for your very detailed information, but I guess my situation is a bit different. I did see 'carrier update' once after turning on my phone for the first time connected to WIFI, and I let it finish. However, when I check my google voice account, the number is still there, unlocked and waiting for porting to the gaining carrier.

Searching this forum brought up a very recent post from just 3 weeks ago, which seems very similar to my issue

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-Mobile/Porting-phone-number-from-Google-Voice-to-Xfinity-mobil...

Seems I need some help from XM representatives.

Thanks

Helen100

Valued Contributor

@Helen100 wrote:

Hi Cmouly2

Thanks for your very detailed information, but I guess my situation is a bit different. I did see 'carrier update' once after turning on my phone for the first time connected to WIFI, and I let it finish. However, when I check my google voice account, the number is still there, unlocked and waiting for porting to the gaining carrier.

Searching this forum brought up a very recent post from just 3 weeks ago, which seems very similar to my issue

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-Mobile/Porting-phone-number-from-Google-Voice-to-Xfinity-mobil...

Seems I need some help from XM representatives.

Thanks

Helen100

Thanks for the response.  Looks like the Google Voice number porting process takes a long time.  

Official Employee

Helen100, Let's check on your port. Please send me a private message with your full name and phone number tied to your residential services for help.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!