Community Forum

Personal hotspot/tethering on iPhone

New Poster

Personal hotspot/tethering on iPhone

Right now, when I want to set up tethering via my iPhone, the menu option under 'settings' is a web link, not a slider button as suggested on the Xfinity Mobile support page. The great irony is that if I follow the web link it takes me to a non-existant support page...

Whats going on with tethering on the iPhone?

Valued Contributor

Re: Personal hotspot/tethering on iPhone

Did you buy that iPhone from XM and activate it on their service or is it an unlocked iphone you already had and you put the XM SIM in it?

I tried the latter - XM SIM card that I took out of my XM purchased for $1 LG and put into my unlocked SIM-free iPhone 7 Plus. Tethering does not work; trying to turn it on sends it off trying to connect to xfinity.com and it hangs there.

I have read that this fails because the XM line has been tagged as "android" when it was turned up on an android device. Supposedly this breaks tethering and visual voicemail (which I didn't test). But who knows - it's all voodo dipped into black magic anyway Smiley Happy

Contributor

I'm experiencing the same issue with my iPhone 7 purchased from Xfinity mobile. I have tried to have this addressed both through Apple as well as the Xfinity mobile support. Today, I spent over an hour at the Xfinity mobile Comcast store trying to have this fixed. My iPhone 7 Plus was swapped out with a brand new one only to experience the same issue. As of now, I have been informed that this is a problem unique to iPhone devices purchased in the last week or so. The final verdict at least for today is that we must wait until this issue is addressed by either Xfinity or Apple. I look to hearing any updates or different experiences.
New Poster

Same issue with my iPhone 7 plus. Purchased from xfinity with a new number over a month ago. It's an xfinity issue as my TMO iPhone works just as it should with personal hotspot. Btw.....xfinity customer service is HORRIBLE and have no clue what they are doing.
Contributor

That is been my experience as well. 90 minutes at the Xfinity Comcast Center as well as about 90 minutes on the phone with Apple. Apple actually remote connected to my phone and determined that this was a carrier issue not an Apple issue. Looking forward to updates.
Regular Visitor

Same issue here as well. Iphone 6s and 7 purchased from Xfinity over a week ago. Have a tier 2 support ticket that has not been touched in over a week. Very close to giving up and just returning the phones. The lack of customer support is very frustrating as I have spent hours on the phone with them. It seems no one is allowed to contact Tier 2 support which are the only people that can fix this issue. On top of that, my wife's phone does not work at all and it's been over a week as well. Have a trouble ticket in for that also. 

Contributor

Yes, this is happening to many people. You are not alone. We are basically waiting for Xfinity to come up with a solution. Hoping for a solution
Frequent Visitor

I did the LG X Charge to iPhone 7plus swap yesterday, and I'm getting the same results. No Visual VM and no Hotspot. Those features disappeared from the Settings menu. Visual VM was working on the X Charge when I activated. With that said, the savings is still worth it for us.

Contributor

That is been my experience as well. 90 minutes at the Xfinity Comcast Center as well as about 90 minutes on the phone with Apple. Apple actually remote connected to my phone and determined that this was a carrier issue not an Apple issue. Looking forward to updates.

Frequent Visitor

Just want to be on record as another that has no personal hotspot option. My husband got his phone on 08.04.17 and his personal hotspot option works great. I got my phone on 09.04.17 and have no option. Hope it is fixed soon as this was a major selling point for me.  

Frequent Visitor

I am on iOS 11 on iPhone 6s which has carrier settings Version 29.0. No visual voicemail or hotspot. Also tried iOS Developer Beta 10 with the same results. Xfinity needs to fix the carrier settings thing on iPhone ASAP!

Contributor

Re: Personal hotspot/tethering on iPhone XFfinity Mobile

I have now upgraded to IOS 11.0 and still no personal hotspot option on my brand new iphone 7S from Xfinity mobile.  Quite frustrating!

Contributor

I have the same problem with mobile hotspot, visual voicemail however does work which doesn't seem to be the case with most users. Chat support said to call, call wait time is a half hour so they are calling me back. I saw a couple posts on reddit saying once they called, they were told to reboot after holding and it worked. Not sure what comcast has to do on their end but possibly SOMEONE knows how to get it working

Contributor

So you called Xfinity support?

@Dave_id87 wrote:

I have the same problem with mobile hotspot, visual voicemail however does work which doesn't seem to be the case with most users. Chat support said to call, call wait time is a half hour so they are calling me back. I saw a couple posts on reddit saying once they called, they were told to reboot after holding and it worked. Not sure what comcast has to do on their end but possibly SOMEONE knows how to get it working

Contributor

I just did and chose the call back option instead of waiting on the phone. So they should be calling me back within a half hour

Contributor

OK, I misunderstood. I thought you meant they had restored the personal hotspot function to your phone.
Contributor

sorry about that, I meant I read elsewhere that others have had success. I will report back once I speak to support

Contributor

no luck, now at tier 2 and waiting a call back within 24-72 hours 

Contributor

No worries. I have a tier 3 ticket from Xfinity. Waiting for call back which they promised within several days and now it’s been a week.
Contributor

any xfinity employees around with any info? 

Contributor

I sincerely hope there is a person with this knowledge. All of the Xfinity tech-support folks that I’ve spoken to have been pretty clueless on this.
Hoping…
New Poster

drgeli - I have the same issue except the other way around.  Do you have the unlimited data plan and your husband on the pay by the gig plan?  I bought new iPhone 6S for both myself, my wife and daughter.  My daughter and my hotspot do not work and my wife's does.  Her's is the pay by the gig plan, the others are unlimited data.

@drgeli wrote:

Just want to be on record as another that has no personal hotspot option. My husband got his phone on 08.04.17 and his personal hotspot option works great. I got my phone on 09.04.17 and have no option. Hope it is fixed soon as this was a major selling point for me.  

Contributor

The waiting game continues…
Contributor

@dvlscrk wrote:

drgeli - I have the same issue except the other way around.  Do you have the unlimited data plan and your husband on the pay by the gig plan?  I bought new iPhone 6S for both myself, my wife and daughter.  My daughter and my hotspot do not work and my wife's does.  Her's is the pay by the gig plan, the others are unlimited data.

@drgeli wrote:

funny you mention the unlimited vs by the gig, the first thing support told me on the phone was "I'm not sure if unlimited plans are allowed to use the hotspot feature, please hold while I check" she checked and said I should be able to use it on my unlimited plan so she escallated it to teir 2

weird if unlimited is causing some issue with tethering 

Contributor

I have interacted with many people who have unlimited data plans and tethering activated. This appears to be an issue with iPhones purchased within the last several weeks.
Contributor

Interesting update. My girlfriends iPhone 7 which is on a pay by the gig plan has a functional personal hotspot. While my phone and iPhone 7 Plus on an unlimited plan does not have a functional personal hotspot. Yesterday, for the heck of it I exchanged the cards and my personal hotspot was active on her Sim and my Sim disabled the personal hotspot function on her phone.
Perhaps this is a Sim card issue?
Regular Contributor

@ksmusa wrote:
Interesting update. My girlfriends iPhone 7 which is on a pay by the gig plan has a functional personal hotspot. While my phone and iPhone 7 Plus on an unlimited plan does not have a functional personal hotspot. Yesterday, for the heck of it I exchanged the cards and my personal hotspot was active on her Sim and my Sim disabled the personal hotspot function on her phone.
Perhaps this is a Sim card issue?

ksmusa, can you reproduce this result? i.e. switch back and see if it's back to original state, then swap again, and see if you can reproduce it again. If so, then you've demonstrated by your two phones and SIMs that indeed it's a SIM issue, and not an iphone issue. 

Contributor

Yes, this has been reproduced 5 times on 2 consecutive days this past weekend.
Regular Contributor

@ksmusa wrote:

Then it's not an iphone issue but a sim issue. Now the question is whehter this can be solved by using the same sim with some reprovisioning on XM's backend, or whether only a replacement SIM can resolve the issue. That's important to know for all of us who want tethering on our iPhones. 

Contributor

@Lakino wrote:

@ksmusa wrote:

Then it's not an iphone issue but a sim issue. Now the question is whehter this can be solved by using the same sim with some reprovisioning on XM's backend, or whether only a replacement SIM can resolve the issue. That's important to know for all of us who want tethering on our iPhones. 

Feels like they did something on purpose to limit tethering on unlimited accounts, I hope that isn't the case and it's just some weird glitch

thanks ksmusa for testing this

Regular Contributor

@Dave_id87 wrote:

@Lakino wrote:

@ksmusa wrote:

Feels like they did something on purpose to limit tethering on unlimited accounts, I hope that isn't the case and it's just some weird glitch

thanks ksmusa for testing this

I get my LG X Charges tomorrow. I will have one line on the $45 unlimited plan. I will test out tethering on the X Charge then swap out SIM to iPhone 7+ and see if tethering works. If unlimited tethering works on the X Charge but doesn't work on iPhone 7+, then the deciding factor will not be the unlimited plan. If tethering is grayed out for both phones with the unlimited plan SIM, then you may have a point. I'll also test out to see if the SIMS with 'by the gig' plans have tethering turned on or off for both LG X Charge and the iPhone 7+. Stay tuned for results. 

New Poster

Could be it. I could tether on a by-the-gig plan, but when I switched to unlimited, tethering no longer worked.
Regular Contributor

@_af_ wrote:
Could be it. I could tether on a by-the-gig plan, but when I switched to unlimited, tethering no longer worked.

Straight from the horse's mouth:

https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/article/115004091427/

Your XFINITY Mobile phone is more than just a phone. It’s also a mobile hotspot, which can be super convenient when you need to connect a computer to the internet and you don’t have WiFi. Your phone enables you to get online via WiFi, Bluetooth, or USB cable—on your laptop, tablet, or any other device.

There are no additional fees for using your phone as a hotspot, and you can do it whether you have By the Gig or Unlimited.

Valued Contributor

I took the SIM from my XM by the gig plan LG X Charge and put it into my SIM-Free unlocked iPhone 7 Plus and the Personal Hotspot could not be enabled.

Regular Contributor

@gderf wrote:

I took the SIM from my XM by the gig plan LG X Charge and put it into my SIM-Free unlocked iPhone 7 Plus and the Personal Hotspot could not be enabled.

gderf, does tethering work -- or at least the option to turn on -- when the SIM is in the LG X Charge?

Contributor

@Lakino wrote:

@_af_ wrote:

Straight from the horse's mouth:

https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/article/115004091427/

Your XFINITY Mobile phone is more than just a phone. It’s also a mobile hotspot, which can be super convenient when you need to connect a computer to the internet and you don’t have WiFi. Your phone enables you to get online via WiFi, Bluetooth, or USB cable—on your laptop, tablet, or any other device.

There are no additional fees for using your phone as a hotspot, and you can do it whether you have By the Gig or Unlimited.

That's what the folks at XFINITY Mobile told me as well.  Unlimited plans should have the mobile hotspot function enabled.

Contributor

still haven't received a call back

Contributor

Same here.  Very frustrating...

@Dave_id87 wrote:

Valued Contributor

@Lakino wrote:

@gderf wrote:

gderf, does tethering work -- or at least the option to turn on -- when the SIM is in the LG X Charge?

Yes, tethering can be enabled in the LG X Charge. I did not try it to see if it actually works though.

Contributor

Thanks so much for the update. Just to be clear, my earlier message stated that I exchanged Sim cards between iPhones on the XFINITY Mobile network. One iPhone 7  and one iPhone 7+. The iPhone 7 is on the 1 GB plan while the 7+ is  on an unlimited. 

When exchanging Sim cards between the iPhones, I am able to activate personal hotspot tethering on either phone containing the Sim card from the 1 GB plan.  

I hope this makes sense. Unfortunately, I have no experience with android phones experiencing this problem with personal hotspot functionality on the XFINITY mobile network.

New Poster

The moment I switched from by the gig to unlimited, they cut my hotspot. The website clearly states mobile hotspot is allowed. They won’t issue a refund on this advertised service nor will they fix it. Beyond frustrated with this poor excuse of a company
A7D23D3F-B43B-4C3F-8B26-AF5A3BD727C0.jpeg
Contributor

I agree, this is very frustrating but I haven't given up on this. Every time that I have spoken to XFINITY mobile support staff they have admitted that this is their issue to take care of. I've never been told that they do not intend to take care of this feature. Have you been told something else??

@Allytarantino wrote:
The moment I switched from by the gig to unlimited, they cut my hotspot. The website clearly states mobile hotspot is allowed. They won’t issue a refund on this advertised service nor will they fix it. Beyond frustrated with this poor excuse of a company

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@gderf wrote:

@Lakino wrote:

@gderf wrote:

Yes, tethering can be enabled in the LG X Charge. I did not try it to see if it actually works though.

Ok. Received my LG X Charges yesterday -- all 3 of them. Been busy but have done some preliminary testing. I can confirm that with an UNLIMITED plan, my LG X Charge is able to serve as a wifi hot spot -- I had an iPhone 7+ and a One Plus One tethered to the LG X Charge and they both were able to use data fine with no problems. I will next test by swapping out the UNLIMITED-plan SIM currently in the LG X Charge and into my iPhone 7 Plus and see if I can enbale it to be a wifi hotspot. 

Regular Contributor

@Lakino wrote:

@gderf wrote:

@Lakino wrote:

@gderf wrote:

Ok. Received my LG X Charges yesterday -- all 3 of them. Been busy but have done some preliminary testing. I can confirm that with an UNLIMITED plan, my LG X Charge is able to serve as a wifi hot spot -- I had an iPhone 7+ and a One Plus One tethered to the LG X Charge and they both were able to use data fine with no problems. I will next test by swapping out the UNLIMITED-plan SIM currently in the LG X Charge and into my iPhone 7 Plus and see if I can enbale it to be a wifi hotspot. 

Nope, it doesn't seem to work for me either. When I swapped the XM SIM with the UNLIMITED plan -- which came out of a LG X Charge -- into an iPhone 7 plus that was direclty purchased from Apple.com, I get the following screen when I try to enable wifi hot spot:

File_000.pngWhen I click on the link, it tries to open up the webpage but just hangs. Nothing comes up. I'm not able to enable wifi hotspot on the iPhone 7 Plus. This is a big problem for me as I indeed need tethering. I have multiple devices that needs access to my mobile data. 

Also of note, XM seems to have programmed the LG X Charge to only allow 3 devices to be tethered to it when in wifi hot spot mode. The LG X Charge seems technically capable of connecting 8 devices to its wifi hotspot but XM has hard locked their firmware to allow onlly 3 devices. That is a little disappointing. Still, that's better than 0 devices for the iPhone 7 as is. Smiley Sad

Also of another note: even though my iPhone was purchased from apple.com -- not from XM -- when I insert the XM sim, it actually shows Xfinity Mobile -- and not Verizon as some have said -- in the upper left hand corner of the screen. Take a look at my screen shot above. Notice "Xfinity Mobile" at upper left corner? That's interesting. From posts I read on here, I thought I would see Verizon as my iPhone wasn't purchased from XM. 

New Poster

I have same issue. My wife's iPhone was purchased from the Xfinity store and and Catherine does not work on her iPhone 7. My iPhone was practice in the Apple Store and slapping her Sim card into my phone puts me to the same website up activation required to set up a hotspot. However, if they put that same Sim card in Xfinity mobile LG hotspot works.so I am assuming that problem is not with the Sim card but it is with their system talking to Iphone.
Regular Contributor

@ksmusa wrote:

@Dave_id87 wrote:

ksmusa, any updates today?

Contributor

No news here regrettably. I am planning on contacting them during our nonpeak time like early in the morning or late at night.

@Lakino wrote:

@ksmusa wrote:

@Dave_id87 wrote:

ksmusa, any updates today?

Regular Contributor

@ksmusa wrote:

No news here regrettably. I am planning on contacting them during our nonpeak time like early in the morning or late at night.

I'm rooting to you. I'd like to see a successful resolution to this -- especially if Tier 3 was required to resolve this. Crossing my fingers for you. Smiley Happy

Contributor

Thank you!  This is SOOOOOO frustrating!!!   So far, I have heard of no one actually receiving a call back from a tier 1, 2 or 3 ticket. Have you?   In my case specifically, I have always had to call back to ask for the status of an ongoing ticket.

Regular Contributor

@ksmusa wrote:

Thank you!  This is SOOOOOO frustrating!!!   So far, I have heard of no one actually receiving a call back from a tier 1, 2 or 3 ticket. Have you?   In my case specifically, I have always had to call back to ask for the status of an ongoing ticket.

Haha.. Yeah, I've tried to steer away from calling in. I fear it'll just cause frustration for me. I've been working with KenF via PM. He has opened up a ticket with Tier 2 for me. So I may be entering this "limbo" state that some of you seem to be in. Smiley Sad I'll of course update here too if there any progress on my end.