Community Forum

MMS does not work unless cellular data is on

Regular Visitor

MMS does not work unless cellular data is on

MDJ
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž
Hi, I have technical support issues about all of our phones.

Chat started

MDJ joined the chat
MDJ
Hey ***! Welcome to Xfinity Mobile. My name is MDJ.. I'd be happy to help you!

Hi ***! Good afternoon!

Hi

MDJ.
Oh, I am so sorry to know that you are having a technical issues about all of your phone, may I ask what technical issue you are having with your phone?

We have 4 lines, all of which we brought to Xfinity Mobile through bring your own device. Since on Xfinity Mobile, none of the phone will send MMS (picture text) messages unless cellualar data is turned on. This means, even when on wifi, we cannot send MMS. We never had problems with this before, and it started the day we all switched over. We are all on the latest IOS version. None of use iMessage so have deactivated it. And we have reset network settings. What else can we do? Saving cellular data and paying less money was the whole reason we came to Xfinity Mobile, and now I feel very frustrated that we cannot do basic things we used to be able to do.

MDJ
Thank you so much for explaining what's happening on your device. Let me go ahead and further check this on your account if there's a feature that has been disable so that we could turn it back on, for security purposes, can you verify the complete name on the account, address and last four digit of your credit card?

MDJ
Thank you so much for verifying the account. One moment please.

thanks

MDJ
You are most welcome. Please bear with me.

While I am checking here, may I ask, if this is the only the issue you are having right now? Or how about watching video through your WiFi, is that working fine?

i have not tried that yet, but surfing the internet and checking email and using apps is all fine.

MDJ
Thank you for that information.

I have tried on multiple different wifi networks too, and I cannot send MMS. Also, I have tried with wifi and cellular data both off, and it does not work.

It only works if I turn on cellular data.

MDJ
I see thanks for all of this information, it helps a lot for me to narrow down the issue. Kindly bear with me.

ok

When we were with ATT, we never had a problem with this, and the problems began the moment we switched over.

MDJ
Thank you so much for patiently waiting ***. I really appreciate it so much. And as per checking all of my resources here, I am afraid to inform you that the MMS from Xfinity Mobile works perfectly when using the data connection and Xfinity Mobile is still on the process of working out the MMS to work via WiFi connection. I am really so sorry for this inconvenience ***.

What do you mean data connection? Should MMS work even when cellular data is off, like other carriers, even without wifi?

MDJ
Oh, I am sorry for the confusion. The MMS send picture will work only when your cellular data is on and it is not yet currently working through the WiFi. And I am afraid that we are still on the process of working things out especially MMS via WiFi.

I was not told this before signing up. Sending picture texts does not take up data on any other carrier.

MDJ
I understand *** and I am so sorry that this was not disclose to you when you sign up to Xfinity Mobile and I understand saving the data is important as what I am currently doing as well of my device and other expenses. And I do really do apologize for this inconvenience.

I am afraid I would never have switched to Xfinity Mobile had I been told this, unfortunately. Is there a supervisor that could explain to me why this was not disclosed to me? Is there some sort of credit that could be applied to my account to cover this until the problem is fixed?

Regular Contributor

Re: MMS does not work unless cellular data is on

I have the Iphone SE and have the same problem, but my wife has the LG X Charge and MMS works fine with data off. I just thought it was an Iphone thing because we are both on XM.

Expert

I have no problem sending or receiving MMS with pictures with both wifi and mobile data turned off. I think you were given bad information. There might be some other technical reason you're having a problem. Hopefully someone can help you sort it out.

Edited to add that I have the LG X Charge.

Another customer with a similar problem found out they had to have premium messaging enabled. http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-Mobile/Can-t-send-or-receive-MMS/m-p/3001818

Regular Contributor

So Comcast Ken, is this an XM problem or an Iphone problem? I would love to send & receive MMS with the data off. Can we get help in here or do we have to go to PM?

Regular Visitor

You might be right- all of our phones are iPhones (SE, 6s plus, 7) and they all behave the same way.  Funny thing is that we had not problems on ATT.  Maybe it is just an iPhone problem on XM?  It's pretty frustrating.  I have a love/hate rship with Apple.  I love the quality and durability of their products but I hate how its ecosystem wraps you in, ie having to use iMessage all the time.  

Contributor

I had the same problem when I first signed up last June. Samsung S8. The xmobile team told me I HAD to have data on. I knew this was incorrect so I kept escalating the ticket. Finally they sent me a new sim and I haven't had that problem since. Sorry if it is an iPhone thing, but either way, xmobile needs to get on that for you guys. Cause again, for me, and probably most, I switched to save money and not have to pay for data.
Regular Contributor

I just tell family and friends to send pics and stuff to the wife's X Charge but would rather have my Iphone working as expected.

New Poster

I understand your frustration because I am having that exact issue with my iPhone X. After a back and forth conversation with an Xfinity Mobile customer service rep via facebook messenger, I was advised to reset my network settings. He walked me through the process and it actually had seemed to fix the problem. I was able to send a few pics that day. When I tried to send a pic a couple days later, it happened again. Resetting my network settings did not resolve it this time. I would like to just say that other than this issue I am happy with my choice of joining Xfinity Mobile and the customer service is better than I have experienced anywhere else. I am a bit nervous because I have convinced many people to make the switch to XFM. I know this issue has been addressed. I am hoping for an update. Thank you

@bdms wrote:
MDJ
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Chat started

MDJ joined the chat
MDJ

Hi ***! Good afternoon!

Hi

MDJ.
Oh, I am so sorry to know that you are having a technical issues about all of your phone, may I ask what technical issue you are having with your phone?

We have 4 lines, all of which we brought to Xfinity Mobile through bring your own device. Since on Xfinity Mobile, none of the phone will send MMS (picture text) messages unless cellualar data is turned on. This means, even when on wifi, we cannot send MMS. We never had problems with this before, and it started the day we all switched over. We are all on the latest IOS version. None of use iMessage so have deactivated it. And we have reset network settings. What else can we do? Saving cellular data and paying less money was the whole reason we came to Xfinity Mobile, and now I feel very frustrated that we cannot do basic things we used to be able to do.

MDJ
Thank you so much for explaining what's happening on your device. Let me go ahead and further check this on your account if there's a feature that has been disable so that we could turn it back on, for security purposes, can you verify the complete name on the account, address and last four digit of your credit card?

MDJ

thanks

MDJ

While I am checking here, may I ask, if this is the only the issue you are having right now? Or how about watching video through your WiFi, is that working fine?

i have not tried that yet, but surfing the internet and checking email and using apps is all fine.

MDJ

I have tried on multiple different wifi networks too, and I cannot send MMS. Also, I have tried with wifi and cellular data both off, and it does not work.

MDJ
I see thanks for all of this information, it helps a lot for me to narrow down the issue. Kindly bear with me.

ok

When we were with ATT, we never had a problem with this, and the problems began the moment we switched over.

MDJ
Thank you so much for patiently waiting ***. I really appreciate it so much. And as per checking all of my resources here, I am afraid to inform you that the MMS from Xfinity Mobile works perfectly when using the data connection and Xfinity Mobile is still on the process of working out the MMS to work via WiFi connection. I am really so sorry for this inconvenience ***.

What do you mean data connection? Should MMS work even when cellular data is off, like other carriers, even without wifi?

MDJ
Oh, I am sorry for the confusion. The MMS send picture will work only when your cellular data is on and it is not yet currently working through the WiFi. And I am afraid that we are still on the process of working things out especially MMS via WiFi.

I was not told this before signing up. Sending picture texts does not take up data on any other carrier.

MDJ
I understand *** and I am so sorry that this was not disclose to you when you sign up to Xfinity Mobile and I understand saving the data is important as what I am currently doing as well of my device and other expenses. And I do really do apologize for this inconvenience.

I am afraid I would never have switched to Xfinity Mobile had I been told this, unfortunately. Is there a supervisor that could explain to me why this was not disclosed to me? Is there some sort of credit that could be applied to my account to cover this until the problem is fixed?

@bdms wrote:
MDJ
๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘Ž

Chat started

MDJ joined the chat
MDJ

Hi ***! Good afternoon!

Hi

MDJ.

MDJ

MDJ

thanks

MDJ

MDJ

MDJ

ok

MDJ

MDJ

MDJ

Regular Contributor

Why do you guys keep sending the huge wall of text of the original poster? Just add your comments to the post, much easier to follow.

Regular Visitor

So I ended up disabling all apps from using cellular data (except phone) and disabling background app refresh except on WiFi. Then I turned on cellular data.  So far so good. I am getting all MMS and group texts and my data does not seem to be getting used for it, or it is such a small amount I canโ€™t tell.  If I need to use an app with cellular data, I will just switch that app back on, use it, and switch it back off.  Also, I saw another post with ComcastAmir that said he could get it working the correct way for someone else, so I contacted him. I hope he is legitimate bc he asked for verification of my account number and I gave it to him. Now that I think about it, that was kind of dumb. Has anyone had interaction with ComcastAmir?

Official Employee

bdms wrote: So I ended up disabling all apps from using cellular data (except phone) and disabling background app refresh except on WiFi. Then I turned on cellular data.  So far so good. I am getting all MMS and group texts and my data does not seem to be getting used for it, or it is such a small amount I canโ€™t tell.  If I need to use an app with cellular data, I will just switch that app back on, use it, and switch it back off.  Also, I saw another post with ComcastAmir that said he could get it working the correct way for someone else, so I contacted him. I hope he is legitimate bc he asked for verification of my account number and I gave it to him. Now that I think about it, that was kind of dumb. Has anyone had interaction with ComcastAmir?

I am an official Comcast employee, I see that you sent a private message with your account information. Please reach back out to me there and we can continue on getting your issue resolved. 

New Poster

@davdri wrote:

I have the Iphone SE and have the same problem, but my wife has the LG X Charge and MMS works fine with data off. I just thought it was an Iphone thing because we are both on XM.

mms works fine in android phones even with wifi and cellular data BOTH turned off.

mms does not work in our iphone 7 and iphone 8 when cellular data is turned off even if wifi is turned on.

Frequent Visitor

This topic seems to be a sticky point. Xfinity says that MMS messages are free (along with SMS text messages). But iMessages are charged as data (although would send for free via WiFi). That all makes sense.

Folks still seem to be having problems. If a customer owns an iPhone and wants to 1) minimize data charges, and 2) send both "texts" and "texts with a photo" to someone (without worrying if they are an iPhone or Android user, and without having to switch any Settings on/off), how should the following be set in Settings:

Cellular [ON or OFF?]

Messages > iMessage [ON or OFF?]

MMS Messaging [ON or OFF?]