Community Forum

LG X Charge won't automatically connect to Xfinitywifi Hotspots

Frequent Visitor

LG X Charge won't automatically connect to Xfinitywifi Hotspots

My LG X Charge will not automatically connect to xfnitywifi hotspots.  When I look at the available networks it will show up, but say "disabled".  I can force a connection and it will stay connected or stay saved until I go out of range.  Once back in range of a hot spot, it says that it is "disabled" again.

I have the setting "on" to automatically connect to xfinity hotspots in the wifi settings.  I do have my network data off, but even when it is on it doesn't seem to make a difference.  I tried to download the xfinitywifi app to force an automatic connection like it did on my HTC on Sprint, but becuase the phone is set up to automatically connect to xfinitywifi, it only showed hot spots and didn't have the option to log in and connect.

Does anybody else have this issue or a possible solution.  Thank you.

Valued Contributor

Re: LG X Charge won't automatically connect to Xfinitywifi Hotspots

I suggest you try the app WiFi Prioritizer and enable autoswitch for xfinitywifi in the app.

Frequent Visitor

Thank you, that app works great!
Valued Contributor

@tedknick wrote:
Thank you, that app works great!

You're welcome! The LG X-Charge is on sale for $1 starting today so if you want to get a BYOD line, it's an excellent option, in case you're not aware of the sale.

Regular Visitor

If a app download is necessary then the least xfinity should do is say so, and maybe throw in an sd card for free. I'm having the same issue. Totally bogus and sick and tired of these devices not working as advertised.
Most Valued Poster

I can automatically connect to them with my S5, but never had any luck with the LG for some reason.  Gotta have the app installed on your phone.  It comes pre installed on the LG.  

Regular Contributor

I am having the same issue and I see that the "Accepted Solved Solution" suggests adding 3rd party app to accomplish something that is supposed to work automatically....sounds like a band aid to me..... What is the "Real Fix to this issue"???

Most Valued Poster

@Dumaine wrote:

I am having the same issue and I see that the "Accepted Solved Solution" suggests adding 3rd party app to accomplish something that is supposed to work automatically....sounds like a band aid to me..... What is the "Real Fix to this issue"???

As far as I know there isn't one.  Comcast has been AWOL about this issue.  I don't get it.  The LG says on the phone it is Xfinity Mobile.  Under Advanced Settings you can check to automatically log on to Xfinity hot spots.  The Hot Spot App comes pre loaded on the phone when you buy it, so you log on and enter your user name and password.  It still does not work.  

On my S5 I needed to download the app, there is no special box to check under Advanced Wifi Settings and the phone says Verizon, not XM.  Guess what?  I can connect to all Xfinity Hot spots with no issue once I downloaded the app from the PlayStore and logged on.  LMAO.  

Wifi Prioritizer is a nice app, but did not fix the issue for me on the LG.

Regular Contributor

Well my phone did not come with the pre installed Hotspot app, unless I missed a step during setting it up. When I first got the X Charge it "DID" work. The second day of use it stopped. Only thing I have not done yet was factory reset it, but if others are having the same issue I guess I need not even do that. I have it set to Auto Connect, and also Notify of available. I get to places and see the Networks available and when I click it guess what, xfinitywifi is sitting there with full signal. I guess they will figure it out one day. Still awaiting a call from Tier 2 support on this issue.

Most Valued Poster

I may have been wrong on that pre installed app.  I thought sure it was, but a check of my wife's phone shows it not there.  I thought it was in the folder called management, but it was not.  Sorry for the misinformation.  

Regular Contributor

@TiredRetired wrote:

I may have been wrong on that pre installed app.  I thought sure it was, but a check of my wife's phone shows it not there.  I thought it was in the folder called management, but it was not.  Sorry for the misinformation.  

No problem. Did the Wifi Prioritizer help your LG? Is it a battery drainer??

Most Valued Poster

Nah, didn't help with the LG.  However, it actually helped me with my S5.  Now when I come home, the S5 always wants to connect to 2.4.  In one minute, Priorizer will reconnect to 5 ghz.  Works slick and does not seem to wear down the battery.  I thing the trick here is to have wifi automatically go off in sleep mode.  I love this setup I have now with the S5, low XM rates and back on Verizon network which is by far the best here.  

Regular Contributor

Funny thing happened last night. I bowl on Wednesday nights and there is xfinitywifi available there. So for a test I made sure I was logged off of all Xfinity on all browsers at home. Might be a coincedence, but soon as I pulled into the parkig lot at the lanes, I parked and looked at my phone. It auto connected to "XFINITY"...not xfinitywifi. Going to call them about that today.

Official Employee

Hi All, 

This is a known issue. Can you all see if you can connect automatically to a network while in Safe Mode? 

I've seen others recommend a Wi-Fi prioritize app. I use one myself and it is a good temporary fix until we resolve. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for letting us know this is a known issue.

Would you be able to issue refunds for those of us that got charged for data when WiFi was on but not connecting automatically?

Official Employee

Coaxial--I am unable to issue credits or refunds via the forums, unfortunately. Please give XFINITY Mobile a call to request a credit (18889364968). 

KenF

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

@ComcastKenF wrote:

Hi All, 

This is a known issue. Can you all see if you can connect automatically to a network while in Safe Mode? 

I've seen others recommend a Wi-Fi prioritize app. I use one myself and it is a good temporary fix until we resolve. 

Well well well.........In Safe Mode my X Charge instantly connected to my home wifi. I clicked forget on my home and it instantly connected to the neighbors xfinitywifi. I surfed to a few sites to make sure it was connected and it was working. Hope this helps you figure it out!!.........Thanks for chiming in!!!

Edit....walked out of range and it disconnected, went back within range and it did not auto reconnect until I turned wireless off then back on

Official Employee

Dumaine, good to hear! Safe mode suggests that there is some app that is preventing your phone from operating properly. I would look at maybe deleting some recently downloaded apps until you see it connecting normally outside of safe mode. 

KenF

Regular Contributor

Funny thing is that the only apps I have installed are all Xfinity apps..and a couple of my banking apps...

Official Employee

Got it. I recommend clearing some of the data from the apps just to make sure they don't have an corrupt files. 

Regular Contributor

Well it is definitly something that was on the phone because I factory reset and it auto connects to the neighbor every time now. TIme to do some indepth testing now...

Official Employee

OK. Let me know the results of your test. 

KenF

Most Valued Poster

Going into Safe Mode does not cure the problem for me.  Still cannot connect to xfinitywifi or XFINITY.  I notice that the hotspots app where you are supposed to log on is now ghosted.  Am I still logged in?  

Official Employee

TiredRetired, try clearing the app data and then logging in again. 

Regular Contributor

@ComcastKenF wrote:

OK. Let me know the results of your test. 

KenF

I think it has something to do with the initial installation of the 4 apps during phone setup........Narrowing it down to Stream ( I could be wrong). I am re-installing the things I had on the phone 1 at a time and rebooting after every install and it is reconnecting every time. I have yet to add my home wifi  and have not installed the Stream ap

Regular Contributor

So I finally logged into my Home wifi and noticed that it now  reports xfinity wifi as saved, where as before I forget what it stated...disconnected I think. Tired of sitting the bathroom for 1 night  will test a little further tomorrow. As of now I have my phone back to almost 100% of how it was setup before (with out installing Stream) and its auto connecting everytime.

I am not pointing a finger at the Stream ap by any means, I just know that during my third factory reset I unchecked ALL of the initinal installation aps and manually installed what I wanted and it has NOT failed to connect yet...I repeat  YET  Smiley Wink

Most Valued Poster

@ComcastKenF wrote:

TiredRetired, try clearing the app data and then logging in again. 

I do not know how to do that.  I am just going to do a full reset and start over.  I have very little downloaded apps as it is.  

Most Valued Poster

OK I reset the phone.  Zero apps installed on phone except for the ones that are preinstalled.  I go to connect to xfinitywifi and it will not connect.  Sometimes it will connect for a split second and then disconnect and then it will say saved.  I can connect to my home wifi network perfectly. 

This phone hates wifi.  I have now come to that conclusion.  LOL. 

Regular Contributor

@TiredRetired wrote:

OK I reset the phone.  Zero apps installed on phone except for the ones that are preinstalled.  I go to connect to xfinitywifi and it will not connect.  Sometimes it will connect for a split second and then disconnect and then it will say saved.  I can connect to my home wifi network perfectly. 

@TiredRetired wrote:

How much signal do you have on the xfinitywifi that you are trying to connect to?

Most Valued Poster

It says excellent.  It's my next door neighbor.  My S5 connects perfectly to it if I want to.  I'm beginning to think I have a defective device.  

Highlighted
Problem Solver

@TiredRetired wrote:

I'm beginning to think I have a defective device.  

Nope.  My S8+ will not automaticlly connect to XW hotspots, either.....

Regular Contributor

In my case I think it has something to do with the "switching". Since I connected to my home wifi sometimes xfinitywireless goes to "Saved" and sometimes it goes to "Disabled".

This morning for a test I sat in my living room which is borderline for seeing my neighbors signal. I clicked forget on my home and got up and walked around to see where I would pick it up. I hit a area where it flashed then went away and the status changed from Saved to Disabled and it would not auto connect when I got back within range untill I manually connected. So something is sending it to Disabled and in my eyes it seems to be in the switching...

Official Employee

TiredRetired, send me a private message so I can look into this further. Please include your mobile phone number, account address and your full name. 

Official Employee

TiredRetired wrote:

I'm beginning to think I have a defective device.  

Nope.  My S8+ will not automaticlly connect to XW hotspots, either.....

cam30era, does it work in Safe mode? 

Problem Solver

I don't know.  Haven't tested it.  Honestly, it's not that hard to just manually connect to Xfinity WiFi whenever I'm at a restaurant.  

Regular Contributor

It has to be in the switching. Today I am connected to home, I go to the bathroom and click forget home and xfinitywifi auto connects. So far so good.....until I click on home and have to put the password back in then home connects and xfinitywifi goes to "disabled". Then I manually connect to xfinitywifi and home goes to "saved". Then I click xfinitywifi and it connects. Then I click home (withouthaving to put the password back in because I did not click forget) and home connects and xfinitywifi goes to "saved".  Seems if xfinitysifi could stop going to "disabled" it would work all the time.

Official Employee

It has to be in the switching. Today I am connected to home, I go to the bathroom and click forget home and xfinitywifi auto connects. So far so good.....until I click on home and have to put the password back in then home connects and xfinitywifi goes to "disabled". Then I manually connect to xfinitywifi and home goes to "saved". Then I click xfinitywifi and it connects. Then I click home (withouthaving to put the password back in because I did not click forget) and home connects and xfinitywifi goes to "saved".  Seems if xfinitysifi could stop going to "disabled" it would work all the time.

It's almost as if your device isn't remembering xfinitywifi. I'm wondering if it is connecting to different hotspots each time which is why it is forgetting the network. Do you have the XFINITY hotspot app? Do you have a lot of them in your area? 

KenF

Regular Contributor

The one I am testing with is right next door. To access others I would have to leave the house and go up a few blocks. I had the hotspot app installed, but have not installed it since I started all over.

Official Employee

The one I am testing with is right next door. To access others I would have to leave the house and go up a few blocks. I had the hotspot app installed, but have not installed it since I started all over.

Gotcha. Can you send me a private message? I just need your name, phone number and address. I'll reach out to Tier 2 to see if they have any insight or fixes. 

KenF

Regular Contributor

@ComcastKenF wrote:

Gotcha. Can you send me a private message? I just need your name, phone number and address. I'll reach out to Tier 2 to see if they have any insight or fixes. 

KenF

Sure u can. I already have a ticket that is supposed to be escalated to Tier 2

Official Employee

Dumaine, really? Do you have the ticket number?

Regular Contributor

PM sent

Official Employee

Got it, thanks.

Regular Contributor

Ok for what it's worth, I finally got of the house today (Saturday). WIFI status when I left .....Home.....Connected......xfinitywireless.....Saved. When I got to the store status was.........xfinitywifi.....disabled.

Wireless connections were available so I clicked xfinitywifi and it went to saved. I guess I was too far away from the closest hotspot to connect. Traffic was light so I was able to drive back home passing various hotspots that are on the map near my home. It autoconnected to one and I stopped and it stayed connected (full signal cone). I drove off slowly until it got out of range and I stopped the car. Status was xfinitywireless.....disabled. I looked in settings at saved networks and xfinitywireless is listed there. So for some reason when it connects to a xfinitywifi signal and then gets out of range it is not being saved on the network I guess.

On the other hand, my sister has the service and her SIM is in a non Xfinity device and did a similar test. Her device connects like clockwork, and when she leaves xfinitywireless the status goes to saved. Interesting....looks like Comcast has alot of work to do on this issue!!!

Official Employee

Dumaine, thanks for running those tests. It seems as though this issue is affecting some devices but not all. I'll keep you posted on the results of that ticket. 

Official Employee
Moved:

Contributor

Im going to try this apk on friends phone and see if it works.

I know she will be happy if it switches automatically.

Regular Contributor

Have had a ticket in on this issue for well over 3 weeks and not a peep from Xfinity. Is this going to just be swept under the carpet?

Most Valued Poster

@Dumaine wrote:

Ok for what it's worth, I finally got of the house today (Saturday). WIFI status when I left .....Home.....Connected......xfinitywireless.....Saved. When I got to the store status was.........xfinitywifi.....disabled.

Wireless connections were available so I clicked xfinitywifi and it went to saved. I guess I was too far away from the closest hotspot to connect. Traffic was light so I was able to drive back home passing various hotspots that are on the map near my home. It autoconnected to one and I stopped and it stayed connected (full signal cone). I drove off slowly until it got out of range and I stopped the car. Status was xfinitywireless.....disabled. I looked in settings at saved networks and xfinitywireless is listed there. So for some reason when it connects to a xfinitywifi signal and then gets out of range it is not being saved on the network I guess.

On the other hand, my sister has the service and her SIM is in a non Xfinity device and did a similar test. Her device connects like clockwork, and when she leaves xfinitywireless the status goes to saved. Interesting....looks like Comcast has alot of work to do on this issue!!!

I never see the word disabled on my S5.  I always automatically connect to all the xfinitywifi hot spots.  Some even while driving along.  I hear the chime of an incoming email.  It is that quick. The LG?  Not so much.  That is why it sits in a drawer collecting dust.  

XFINITY hot spots?  Now that is another problem.  No way I can get those to work.  Wifi Prioritizer is a nice app but does nothing to cure this issue.  It is strictly intended as the name implies to prioritize available wifi signals.  In my experience, it does not make something play nice that does not want too.  

Official Employee

Have had a ticket in on this issue for well over 3 weeks and not a peep from Xfinity. Is this going to just be swept under the carpet?

I haven't gotten an update from Tier 2 yet so I've requested one. I'll keep you in the loop, Dumaine.