Community Forum

Issue with S9+ byod

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Issue with S9+ byod

Hi, I have an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S9+ that was purchased directly from Samsung.  I went into the XM store to do byod on the S9+ and the guy mentioned after glancing at my phone that the S9 was 50/50 on working as part of the byod.  After looking up the IMEI number he told me that unfortunately the device was not compatible for the byod.  I asked why and he said he didn't know why, the system just wasn't liking the phone.

Does anyone know why this could be the case?  I would like to use this phone on XM.  I've been using an LG X Charge on XM for almost 2 years and would love to upgrade to thise S9+ that I have.

I did go to verizons website and typed in the IMEI there and it said that phone would work fine to bring to verizon.  I know XM is not verizon but it looks like other carrier's would accept the phone just fine.

If I can't do the byod could I just swap the sim from my LG X Charge to the S9 without issue?

Official Employee

Re: Issue with S9+ byod

Hello skarps, I am sorry to hear we could not get your Samsung S9+ activated at the store. I would like to look into this issue for you to come up with the best solution. Please send me your account info and the IMEI of the device in a private message. To send a private message, first click on my name "ComcastTito" and then click on "send message".

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

I have been having the same issue with my wife's S9+. When they announced you could BYOD, I immediately went to my local store where they continued to get a "incompatible technology" error. Apparently, they were not successful in brining over any Samsung devices that week.... store Reps were all cool and said, "yeah, I guess we're not ready." 

Fast forward about a week when we were dropping off a bad modem and we asked if the issues have been fixed.... one Rep (store front greeter) claimed there never was an issue so we went through with the process again, only to be told, "yeah, we're getting the same error."

Now, the Rep I worked with directly did some research and made some calls and it turns out this issue is only for Samsung phones purchased directly from Samsung. Apparently, all IMEI numbers from the other cell providers (Verizon, Sprint, etc) were brought over but Xfinity for some reason did not bring over the IMEI numbers for Samsung phones that were purchased through Samsung. It is now a known issue and they are waiting to load all of the IMEI numbers. Once they do, I have two separate Reps that will reach out to me.  I'll update here once I get any kind of resolve.

Hope this helps!

New Poster

Same issue here with me, I went there yesterday, 7/28/19, unlocked Galaxy S9 directly from Samsung, incompatible.  Chat with an online cusomter rep, tells me that's incompatible again.  not sure why Xfinity is so bad at getting this done correctly.  I saw people able to use their Pixel, which wasn't even sold by Xfinity.  I hate to go around the system and work the extra steps, but I saw how Xfinity was (maybe still is) making people going around the system.  It just creates bad experiences to people.

Regular Visitor

Thanks for the response guys. I'm still working with xfinity on the issue as well. They are being very helpful and seem to be as frustrated as I am with the situation. Please do post something if you get it resolved. I will do the same.
New Poster

My wife and I have had the same problem with our Samsung bought S9s. We currently have Verizon and we've been told to come back every couple days and try again. This is a bit ridiculous, and you would think the could have a better way of handling this by email or phone call.
Official Employee

Hello everyone,

I wanted to apologize first and foremost for any issues you experienced trying to bring over your Samsung devices. Some customers were not successful in performing a BYOD and received an "incompatible technology" message. 

I received confirmation on why this message was occurring. Open Market Samsung devices that were purchased from a third-party retailer, such as Best Buy, and have a model number ending in "U1" are NOT compatible with our BYOD program at this time. As of now, there is no time frame on if or when they will become compatible. 

If I receive any updates, I will post here. Again I apologize for any inconvenience, and please feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Tito, that is incorrect. My phones have that same "U1" code and were purchased directly from Samsung. Before posting incorrect info to potential customers, please fact check your info.
Official Employee

@Arcanux I apologize for any confusion. When I mentioned devices purchased from a third-party retailer, phones purchased directly from Samsung are also included and considered "third party". To reiterate, Samsung devices that were not purchased through a carrier/service provider are third-party devices. 

Any Samsung devices with "U1" in the model number are not compatible at this time. 

I hope this clears up any confusion.

New Poster

While it clears up the mistake in definition, it does not clear up why they are incompatible. Buying directly from Samsung is not "third party" as they are the OEM. The phones tou get through Verizon, AT&T, etc ARE third party. That being stated, it makes no sense that Xfinity would allow android support, but then limit the ability to third party phones...unless your goal is to force people to buy unnecessary upgrades directly through you. You encourage the use of unlocked phones, yet do not allow the use of truly unlocked assets. Additionally, you offer a "gift card" of $100 to bring over a device, but the limit it to those who are using subpar phones. Did you know, the S9 model my wife and I are using cannot be purchased through Verizon because they were not licensed to carry it by Samsung. We paid the same price for a better phone as what Verizon would have charged us for the subpar model. So to summarize, I'm disappointed in your shady practices. I had wanted to move over and save some money, but it would appear that you are not interested in our business.
New Poster

Additionally, its interesting how your remarks on here are not even close to the stores information. According to them, this is caused by a glitch in the system where the IMEI numbers from Samsung have not been added to the system and that they are currently working on solving the issue.
Frequent Visitor

Silly you to have any faith in Comcast/Xfinity doing anything in a forthright, open or easy fashion. It violates their mission statement. Same isue with a S-8 and same runarround at the local store. 

New Poster

I have the same issue.  I bought my unlocked S8+ at Best Buy.  The model number ends in U1 like other people have said.  It is a completly unlocked phone will work on any network. 

I enter the IMEI number and it says its imcompatible with the Xfinity network.  However if I go to Verizion I can use this phone no problem.

Why isn't Comcast fixing this issue?  You think they would make it easy to sign up for phone service but it is not.  Are they aware of the issue.  Because I bought my phone from Best Buy and not a carrier I can't use it?

Regular Visitor

Hi.

I have an S8 U1 with the same issue. 

What's the status on this database error?

Thanks!

Frequent Visitor

I found today that you can check the Samsung IMEI online at the link below now like you could do the Apple.  As of today my S-8 still was showing as not compatible.

https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/byod/compatibility/device?rid=11664525&mid=EMC_20190808_AdHoc_CM_BYOD... 

Official Employee

Hello @busterphysic, thank you for reaching out on our forum. Unfortunately at this time, if your Samsung S8 has "U1" in the model number, it is incompatible with Xfinity Mobile. Hopefully BYOD will be available to these devices in the near future.

I would be happy to double check your device for you though. Just send me your account info and the IMEI in a private message. To send a private message, first click on my name "ComcastTito" and then click on "send message". Thank you and I apologize for any inconvenience.

New Poster

Any indication when the codes will get added? Would think Xfinity/Comcast would want to resolve this to get more customers.

Specificlly purchased an unlocked phone to be able to transfer it easier.

Frequent Visitor

Info from Xfinity as of yesterday was no information on when they will have the info.  See Xfinty employee resonce a couple entries up the thread.

Contributor

I guess I'm a "+1" here, but with a small difference.

My kid was using an S7, so I went out and specifically purchased an "unlocked" S8 (yes, a U1) so I can switch him over to XM.  Type in the IMEI in online tool, and it says "This phone is compatible, but it may be locked by your carrier.  Visit an Xfinity Store to activate".  So I took it in, and they get the same message, saying it can't be activated on XM since it's "locked".  I guess I'm preaching to the choir here when I say that a "factory unlocked" phone CANNOT be carrier locked!!  When I bought the phone it came up with a T-Mobile logo.  Switched in my AT&T sim and it came up on the AT&T network just fine.  Switched in the kid's Verizon Prepaid SIm and that, too, worked just fine.  So the phone is absolutely positively NOT carrier locked.  I may takethe wife's Xfinity Mobile sim from her iphone as a proof-of-concept to see if the S8 will work with XM.  Or maybe I'll just peruse the interwebs to find a galaxy IMEI that *does* come up clean and use that to order a SIM, and plunk it into the kid's phone.  Don't know why XM can't fix this- especially if it is the loading of unlocked IMEI's that's holding this whole train up.   The tech guys are doing a great job of Sales Prevention!!  

Frequent Visitor

Buckyswider, according to ComcastTito a few posts up, the 'U1' S8 isn't compatible with XM.  I'm not sure if the IMEI checker would be able to tell if its a U1 or not.  It is my understanding is if you bought an S8 factory unlocked, not tied to any carrier it is a 'U1'.  If you bought one from any US carrier say verizon, it is a 'U'.  If you can return/swap the U1 for say a verizon version that isn't currently active on verizon, that I believe should work.

Contributor

I'm not trying to diss Tito, because I believe he is relaying what he is told by the engineers, but I can think of no technical reason that the factory unlocked phones shouldn't work on the XM platform.  Of course I'm no expert and could very well be wrong, but as speculated above, I'm leaning towards this being some sort of adminsitrative oversight.  But getting a SIM and trying it on the system will be the ultimate test- and seems to be a rather low-risk endeavor once I get a sim (or "borrow" it from my wife's phone).  At this point I can't return the phone I bought on ebay since the kid has been using it (still on Verizon) for a couple weeks now.  And he's like most teens, so it's already a little dinged.  

Regular Contributor

It's becoming more and more obvious that the "incompatibility" is due to some business decision and not any technical issue. 

New Poster

+1 Ugh. Following this thread for a solution.

New Poster

I have the same problem with my S9+. Bought it directly from Samsung and have a U1 model. Posting to follow potential (hopefully) updates.

New Poster

Same issue here. We tried to bring 5 phones over from Verizon. Three iPhones and 1 Galaxy S8 without a problem. The other S8 which was purchased on the resale market and activated on Verizon in incompatable and still on Verizon.

New Poster

Why is this thread marked "solved". It doesn't feel solved from my end. WHEN will this be fixed????!!!

New Poster

Re: Issue with S9+ byob actually...NOT Solved!

Agree, what was solved?  Nothing from my prospective has been solved!

I bought my S9+ from Best Buy first week of December, 2018 (so not quite a year old), bought it unlocked, and my IMEI ends in a 1, not a U1 first of all.  And I have the same problems others have on this forum.  So it's not just U1 phones.

I took my xfinity sim card out of my other phone, an iphone, put it in my S9+ and it works perfectly.

Further I check it's compatability with Sprint, ATT, Verizon, TMobile, Cricket and my S9+ shows compatable and it works on these networks, but not compatible with Xfinity?  Something smells like barrell of 100 day old dead fish!  Someone at xfinity knows the real story...wish they would come out with it!

And all this bs about we're working on it?  Well that's been going on for over a year, probably closer to 2.  Xfinity could have contracted out the migration and the entire project to a tech firm and had this completed in 6 months tops. 

So in my oppinion this is not about technical compatability, it is I agree and believe a business, or in this case, loss of business issue due to once again xfinity management's incompetence and mis-management with this roll out.  Pathetic!  Hey, but you can buy a brand new S9+ from us/xfinity and it's guaranteed to  be compatible wtith their network? 

Looks like Xfinity needs to "drain the swamp" with their management team!

And I'll be taking my like brand new S9+ to another carrier.  What hurts is xfininity could care less.

New Poster

So a month ago, my wife's s9+ unlocked showed it was compatible on their website, but my s10+ unlocked was not. Finally, s10+ support was added, so went to store to convert over and only to find out my s10+ was supported, but all of a sudden the s9+ was not????? Both are unlocked and model numbers end in U1.
New Poster

I had the same issue with my Galaxy S9. Thankfully I had a standby phone from LG which was compatible with Xfinity mobile and I used the LG IMEI to get my XFinity connection. Later I switched out the Xfinity SIM from my LG and put it into my incompatible Galaxy S9. It worked, no issues. So now i am able to use my IMEI incompatible S9 with the Xfinity SIM card.

New Poster

I had the same issue with my Galaxy S9. Thankfully I had a standby phone from LG which was compatible with Xfinity mobile and I used the LG IMEI to get my XFinity connection. Later I switched out the Xfinity SIM from my LG and put it into my incompatible Galaxy S9. It worked, no issues. So now i am able to use my IMEI incompatible S9 with the Xfinity SIM card.

New Poster

Is the phone still working? The Xfinity rep at my local store told me that doing this would invalidate both my S9+ and the original phone I used to activate the SIM. 

New Poster

Well, both of my phones have now been working for the last 6 months