Community Forum

Is xfinity mobile a scam? Using mobile data when I have Wi-Fi

New Poster

Is xfinity mobile a scam? Using mobile data when I have Wi-Fi

Xfinity mobile seemed like a great idea since I live in the middle of downtown and there is virtually nowhere around me without Xfinity service.
1 week into my service and 80% of my data has already been used.

I kinda had the feeling comcast was going to pull this on me since they are a pretty shady company... anyone else having issues?

Contributor

Re: Is xfinity mobile a scam? Using mobile data when I have Wi-Fi

Xfinity mobile seemed like a great idea since I live in the middle of downtown and there is virtually nowhere around me without Xfinity service.
1 week into my service and 80% of my data has already been used.

I kinda had the feeling comcast was going to pull this on me since they are a pretty shady company... anyone else having issues?

If you have an iPhone make certain you have the Xfinity profile installed on your device. There is also an app for Android that will allow your phone to connect to Xfinity hotspots. I have no issues with two iPhones automatically connecting to Xfinity hotspots that are on my account.

Official Employee

IraSav, if your WiFi signal is too weak to hold a connection, mobile data will be used unless it is disabled. If your intention is to use as little mobile data as possible, I suggest turning off cellular data unless you're using it, and keeping WiFi on. 

KenF

Contributor

ComcastKenF - so you're actually 'stating' that if CELLULAR DATA is OFF there's no Xfinity forced exchanges possible? That was a question I had and got 'shoulder shruggs' when I inquired at an Xfinity Store. I know how it should be but 'what should' and 'what will' happen differs greatly. It's my understanding the 100MB is FREE but who controls the 100MB? Comcast does an update of sorts and the device isn't near or on WiFi does the connection get forced and THE CUSTOMER charged the DATA?

I seldom use more than 100MB of data a month, the cell phone is an 'emergency device' carried for just those purposes. WiFi generally suffices for me and I'd think will far into the future.

***How would a consumer dispute the fees for data. Conversations with Comcast billing can certainly be less than a pleasant experience.

Bronze Problem Solver

@wvzr1 wrote:

ComcastKenF - so you're actually 'stating' that if CELLULAR DATA is OFF there's no Xfinity forced exchanges possible? That was a question I had and got 'shoulder shruggs' when I inquired at an Xfinity Store. I know how it should be but 'what should' and 'what will' happen differs greatly. It's my understanding the 100MB is FREE but who controls the 100MB? Comcast does an update of sorts and the device isn't near or on WiFi does the connection get forced and THE CUSTOMER charged the DATA?

I seldom use more than 100MB of data a month, the cell phone is an 'emergency device' carried for just those purposes. WiFi generally suffices for me and I'd think will far into the future.

***How would a consumer dispute the fees for data. Conversations with Comcast billing can certainly be less than a pleasant experience.

I keep cell data turned off, each month my bill is just the taxes with no data used. The 100 MB of free data is the first 100 MB used, so you are the one in control of that. If an update is available and you have cell data turned off and you have no wifi connection, the update won't happen until wifi is established or you turn on cell data.

Contributor

mvenanzi   --  Thanks for that. What are the additional 'fees and taxes' on your statement monthly? That got 'shoulder shrugs' also when asked at the Xfinity store. I got many 'shruggs' when I asked seemingly relevant questions were asked. 

Bronze Problem Solver

@wvzr1 wrote:

mvenanzi   --  Thanks for that. What are the additional 'fees and taxes' on your statement monthly? That got 'shoulder shrugs' also when asked at the Xfinity store. I got many 'shruggs' when I asked seemingly relevant questions were asked. 

It varies depending on where you live. Mine are as follows:

Disability Access/Enhance 911 Services $1.00
Federal Universal Service Fund $0.64
Regulatory Recovery Fee $0.08
State Sales Tax $0.64
Official Employee

wvzr1, what do you mean by strick exchange? If the cellular data is off, it will not be used. I would check through the app settings for downloaded apps to make sure this is enforced as well. 

If you have apps on your phone, you can go to settings--general--apps-- and then tap each app's Data section and disable background cellular data as well, just to be sure.