Community Forum

How Do I Send/Receive MMS on S-9 Without Using Mobile Data?

Contributor

How Do I Send/Receive MMS on S-9 Without Using Mobile Data?

I recently had a security update ( SMR March 2019 Release 1) on my S-9. After that update, I cannot send/receive MMS without using mobile data. Wifi does not work, either. Before this update, I could send/receive MMS, with attachments, without using mobile data or wifi. I installed Verizon Message and it works fine--allows send/receive MMS without using mobile data or wifi, so I know it is not a phone issue. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Contributor

Re: How Do I Send/Receive MMS on S-9 Without Using Mobile Data?

Same for me on my s8+ it's like they want us to burn through our data
Contributor

Well, I recently discovered another issue. Started using Samsung dex mode and guess what? Samsung messaging is the only messaging app that works in dex mode! Now what? Will you take this seriously now xfinity?
Contributor

The only workaround I have found is Verizon Messenger in regular mode. I prefer the Message app built into the S-9, but the Verizon Messenger app is the only way I have found to send/receive MMS until (or if) there is a fix from Samsung.

Contributor

You don't. Xfinity mobile doesn't want you to bacause this way you use more cel data. And it also breaks sms and MMS messaging using dex, as it's the only messaging app that works with it. Nice.
Official Employee

Hey Folks, I've seen increasing reports of this since the update in April. I have heard the Verizon messenger app does work as a workaround. Have anyone reported this to XFINITY Mobile support? I've heard instances where changing the network mode from global to LTE/CDMA has worked--if not temporarily. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

I reported to Xfinity Mobile in April. Response was that it is a Samsung problem and we must wait for a Samsung update. Maybe Comcast/Xfinity can accelerate the issue with Samsung?

Official Employee

Yeah I was thinking this sounded software related. Was that it though? Do you know if they opened a case for you specifically? 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

No, they did not. They just blew me off and blamed it on Samsung. Suggested I contact Samsung--I tried but gave up with all the red tape.

Official Employee

I see. I've seen continued issues across XFINITY Mobile and a few other carriers as well. It looks like we will need to wait on the next OS update. In the meantime, are you able to utilize the Verizon Messenger app? 

Ken

Contributor

Yes, I am using Verizon Messenger but prefer the regular Message function on the S-9. Any nudge to Samsung from Comcast/Xfinity would be appreciated. Thanks.

Regular Contributor

Verizon Messanger handles MMS groups correctly on my Samsung Galaxy S10e via wireless or mobile data.

- Bill
New Poster

I fixed this issue by enabling phone permissions for the carrier login app and wifi calling app then making sure wifi calling was enabled. I'm pretty strict on permissions so my mms stopped going without these apps having phone permissions but it is needed for sending/receiving mms messages via wifi. This resolved my issue and now I am able to send mms with wifi in my Samsung messages app with all recent updates applied. Xfinity mobile is not trying to jack your bill. MMS messages are included with your free calling/text messages service Smiley Happy
Contributor

Please help me to understand why I would want to make send MMS via wifi? In my car, it won't work. At a location without wifi, it won't work. What am I missing? 

New Poster

I fixed this issue by enabling phone permissions for the carrier login app and wifi calling app then making sure wifi calling was enabled. I'm pretty strict on permissions so my mms stopped going without these apps having phone permissions but it is needed for sending/receiving mms messages via wifi. This resolved my issue and now I am able to send mms with wifi in my Samsung messages app with all recent updates applied. Xfinity mobile is not trying to jack your bill. MMS messages are included with your free calling/text messages service 
New Poster

1. I would check those settings 2. If you are expecting connectivity while not connected to any data point, wifi or mobile, dont expect it to be successful but if you were able to do so in your car while absolutely not connected to any data point before, checking your settings for downloading/uploading while roaming might work. But to send any data across someone's network, I would think you would need to connect to a data access point via wifi or mobile data. It may have been a loophole that was closed. I've always gotten the message, will send message when connectivity restored but I have no roaming flagged. So you can try that.