Community Forum

Horrible experience trying to begin service with BYOP at a Comcast/Xfinity store

Regular Visitor

Horrible experience trying to begin service with BYOP at a Comcast/Xfinity store

I bought two new iphone 7's unlocked from Apple and brought them to the Comcast/Xfinity store today (I had to go to one 45 minutes from my home, as the closer store does not do mobile they said). I was there with the agent for 80 minutes, but they were unable to get the activation process to even start on their computer (they never even got to start up the phone); finally the Store Manager came over, looked at the screen and said "you will never be eligible for a bring your own phone, because there is a security issue on your account" and when I asked what that was, he said no one could tell me and there was no one to call to ask what it could be related to. 

I have a physician with a credit score of 810, own my home, have no debt, and pay my Comcast bills religously via autopay, and have never had a problem with Comcast, other than a recent mistaken add-on of Cinemax that was reversed by customer service after I saw it on my bill.

Is Comcast trying to force customers to buy the phones only through Comcast stores? The problem with that is that Comcast's phones are locked, and a consumer would be ill advised to buy locked phones in this day and age. 

Can anyone help me?

New Poster

Re: Horrible experience trying to begin service with BYOP at a Comcast/Xfinity store

I'm not sure XM is at all ready for Prime Time.  They clearly do not have employees that understand the cellular business.  I was ready to switch until I found this forum and noting all the issues.  I hope they eventually see the need to hire and or train employees to support  cellular.  I hope it's soon!

Contributor

Re: Horrible experience trying to begin service with BYOP at a Comcast/Xfinity store

"Is Comcast trying to force customers to buy the phones only through Comcast stores?"  Of course they are, that's prett obvious.  Even the shortest lived fly by night MVNO support BYOD and sells their SIMs on ebay.  No other reason possible

"The problem with that is that Comcast's phones are locked, and a consumer would be ill advised toou can't t buy locked phones in this day and age. "  You'd have to be pretty crazy to buy a phone from them unless it's their cheap 1$ LG just to get the SIM. Buy a 1K dollar note 8 that's locked to a carrier that probably won't be offering cell service in a year and you can't take it to another carrier?  UMMM NO!

This is comcast! They Only want your Money! It's been this way for years. Work with it.

Regular Visitor

Update:

After speaking with various customer service staff at various levels, here is what I am being told:

"You have perfect history with Comcast, you have three homes and pay all your three Comcast accounts promptly, you have an amazing credit score (810), no debt, you are not even buying a phone you are bringing your own, your new phone is just that-- new, unlocked, direct from Apple, never been used, not being ported over, compatible with Verizon, and a phone we sell at the store, that we know works on our system-- there is no reason that you can't start service BUT (!!) our "retail 360" computer system has "flagged" your account, and the system will not allow you to commence service with Xfinity mobile-- even if you were to try to buy a phone from us, it would appear you would be rejected [this is a revision of what I was told previously, that led me think perhaps they merely were trying to get me to buy a phone from them], and WE HAVE NO IDEA WHY, IT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE, AND YET WE CANNOT CHANGE IT, REVISE IT, ALTER IT, OR EVEN FIGURE OUT HOW TO IF WE WANTED TO." 

CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT?

Frequent Visitor

Yes I can believe it, the same thing is happening to me. Good luck.

Official Employee

carterp, I have heard of these retail flags on your account that prevent BYOD. This is a measure in place to protect your account from fraud that was triggered prior to your visit. 

At this time, there is no work around for the security alert. At this time, you are still able to purchase a new device online and trade in your BYOD device to offset costs. 

KenF

New Poster

Well, thats certainly not the way to retain or GAIN new customers...

Regular Visitor

Sounds like fraudulent advertising; the ad says you can bring your own phone, but when you go to the store they say the computer says you can't. I have spent hours on this, and no one can come up with a solution, other than to buy your Comcast phone, start an account, and then immediately close it and ask for my money back, after which I am told I should be able to do a bring you own phone. It is clear this is happening to many people, and it is clear that Comcast management knows about it, yet is doing NOTHING to stop this madness. It would not be very difficult for them to fix it. 

Regular Visitor

UPDATE: 

Received email at the Xfinity email address I have never used, despite providing my regular email used on my account and confirmed again when placing the order to buy the Comcast phone they demand I buy. The email said I needed to provide a scan of my driver's license and utility bill (this after being a customer in good standing for over 10 years on this account, and for over 30 years on another account), and after my valid credit card had been provided (the same one used for a number of years on autopay with Comcast). I did so on Monday night. It is now Friday morning, five days later, and I have still have received no reply and no confirmation that even my phone order is being processed. 

I am wondering if Xfinity is trying to throttle down, or limit, new customers. Is it possible they did not buy enough bandwidth from Verizon? This whole thing is so anti-business one has to wonder.

Official Employee

carterp, I can provide you with an update on your order. Please send me a private message with your full name, order number, and the phone number associated with your residential services. 

KenF