Community Forum

Have to dial number twice to place a call

New Poster

Have to dial number twice to place a call

When I dial any number on my new iPhone 8, I get a message that I have to enter the 10 digit number again and not hit send to get it to go through! Annoying as can be. How can I fix this? Support after 1 week and many hours have no answer. Anybody help??
New Poster

Re: Have to dial number twice to place a call

Sorry no solution, but I am having the same problem.  The firts week worked fine and then I had to dial twice.  Xfinity has been no help as I have gotten many different non-answers;  your phone are too old, you are not cloase enough to cell towers, etc.  If this doesn't get fixed i will go back to Verizon.  Xfinity needs to solve this problem.

Official Employee

Queenofhearts26 and crockettcr, thanks for posting on the forums about your concerns with your XFINITY Mobile service. Having to input your number to place a call is a symptom of coverage. This is only prompted when you are too far from the closest cell tower. Please attempt to place a call in another location to bypass this order flow. 

Ken

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

With Verizon I had no problems. Xfinity reps said that Verizon towers are being used and service should be the same, so if using same towers. Why is location now an issue? Last xfinity rep said to have new SIM card installed. Will this help?
Official Employee

crockettcr, swapping a sim may not be necessary. When you make a call in the area that prompts the dial out twice, do you see a 1X at the top of your cell service bars? Can you make sure that 4gLTE  and VoLTE is enabled on your device: 

• Apple Devices: Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Option > Enable LTE > select Voice & Data
  • Android Devices: Settings > Connections > Mobile Networks > turn on VoLTE Calls

Ken

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Just got WiFi calling to work and that solves problem when in my home. Away from the house and not in WiFi range it is mostly 1X in my area. Cannot get LTE. Is this the problem?
Frequent Visitor

Related issue. I can’t start WiFi calling on wife’s phone. It says to contact xfinity. When talking with xfinity rep before she did not know what that meant.
Official Employee

Just got WiFi calling to work and that solves problem when in my home. Away from the house and not in WiFi range it is mostly 1X in my area. Cannot get LTE. Is this the problem?

Crockettc, yeah that's the problem. Glad you're able to utilize WiFi calling to mitigate the 1X coverage. 

Related issue. I can’t start WiFi calling on wife’s phone. It says to contact xfinity. When talking with xfinity rep before she did not know what that meant.

What kind of phone does your wife use? 

Frequent Visitor

iPhone 6s. Mine is an SE
Official Employee

Got it. Appreciate the quick responses and taking your time out of your busy day to troubleshoot with me here! Did she do the latest carrier update? That needs to be done before being able to activate wiFi calling. Check this out if you haven't already: https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/article/wifi-calling-on-iphone

Frequent Visitor

Now cannot connect WIFI calling with either phone. SE was working but left WIFI area and it did not come back on when returned to WiFi. Phone indicates WIFI calling is on in cellular setting but don’t get the notification at top left. Have done all items in link you sent. I try reenter of address but get msg to call Xfinity. Wife’s 6S phone never connected. Says to contact xfinity. Thanks for help during the holiday.
Frequent Visitor

This requirement to have to dial the number twice is very annoying.  It seems to happen when I cannot receive LTE service and only have 1X on my iphoneSE.  Same issue with wife's iphone 6S.  I have called Xfinity technical several times but they have not been any help.

XFINITY Management  - Is there any near term plans to fix this problem  It probabaly is related to the cell towers your are using and they need some upgrade for Xfinity.  This was not a problem when I had Verizon cell service.

Official Employee

crockettcr, the need to call twice in a 1x area is operating as intended. This is based on LTE coverage and dialing twice is currently the only way to connect to the cell tower in areas like that. 

Are you still having issue with setting up wiFi calling? 

Ken

Frequent Visitor

When connected to WiFi calling then only have to dial once. Unfortunately the WiFi calling is sporadic at my house.
Is dialing twice in 1x the forever standard with xfinity. It would be nice to just push a single button to redial but re-entering the entire number again requires a written note of the number because I can never remember the number. When driving hands free on Bluetooth using xfinity wireless is not an option. Your sales team should mention this deficiency in 1x area. Seriously considering going back to Verizon. Thanks for the response
Highlighted
New Poster

I would like assistance escalating this issue.
It appears there is a provision that Verizon is using when they partner with roaming tower partners, that Xfinity will need to install, which will give the same priority as Verizon customers. We have multiple Verizon phones in our family at thr same location none of these lines require the dial twice deficiancy. Only my Xfinity mobile line. All other Verizon, ATT, Sprint ..etc. do not require this. It appears that it may be a roaming agreement or provision causing the issue.
All of the areas im Michigan are full coverage areas with Verizon and partner towers, Thumb cellular, etc... its been two years of reporting and patiently waiting.
Frequent Visitor

This problem should be elevated to management.  If Xfinity has an inferior product then this should be identified by sales persons when potential new customers are being provided information. Can someone provide a name and address of an Xfinity VP.  I would like to write to him/her personally to let them know about the inferior service provided by Xfinity in 1X areas.  This was never a problem with Verizon.  I could understand if the problem was recognized and you are working a solution, but the repsonse has been "that is the way it is -- too bad".  My words re-interpreting the  meaning of the responses I have been getting from Xfinity.

New Poster

I highly doubt that its because you are too far away from a tower to make a call.  I have two phone lines with xfinity and I can be standing side by side with the phones and 1 will requre re entering the phone number and the other will not.  Also the one that now has this problem dialed out normaly in all areas for the first 6 months of ownership. 

This problem is horrible and it seems the only way to fix it is to leave xfinity.

Regular Visitor

thank you for being the only one who could answer this!