Community Forum

Flip phone?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Flip phone?

What are options for using a flip phone on XM? My dad currently has the cheapest smart phone on XM but really wants a flip phone. I don’t see where they offer any. Any ideas? He doesn’t use data at all just talk and text.
Highlighted
Official Employee

Re: Flip phone?

Hello Mrigby002,

As of now, we have no available options for flip phones given that we do not sell a flip phone compatible with Xfinity mobile. Additionally, even as a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device), we would not be able to connect cellular service to a flip phone. Currently for iPhone BYOD, we only support models iPhone 6, 6+, 6s, 6s+, or newer. For Android BYOD we currently support Samsung Galaxy S8, S8+, S9, S9+, and Galaxy Note 8, and 9.

Update - Officially, as of 12/10/19, the following devices have been added as compatible with BYOD - Google Pixel, Pixel XL, Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Pixel 3, Pixel 3 XL, Pixel 3a, Pixel 3a XL, Pixel 4, Pixel 4 XL.

Chris

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I know this is a couple months after your post, but you can bring a flip phone to Xfinity mobile and it will work... I just bought an LG Exalt LTE on eBay, it is an old stock Verizon Wireless phone, and is also GSM unlocked... But all you need to worry about it being is 4G LTE... the only problem is they will not give you a SIM card if you walk in the store with the phone that they say will not work even if it will work. We had an older unused iPhone SE that we purchased from Xfinity mobile a few years back, took that in and I told the rep we could do this two ways, but they're both going to end with that SIM card in this flip phone... He looked at me like I didn't know what I was talking about, I said do it how you want to do it, so he thought he was going to prove me wrong so he activated the iPhone SE with its IMEI number, then took the SIM card out of it put it in the flip phone and just stared at me... It activated in less than a minute, I called it from my phone it rang his jaw dropped and didn't say another word... The reason why I did this was my mother who is 82 years old was on my sister's Verizon plan with a 10 year old flip phone that is not going to work after December 31st, so I took a shot and bought this phone on eBay, figuring if it didn't work on Xfinity, I would just give it to my sister to put on her plan for my mother... But it worked we added it to her shared by the gig plan, and it will cost us about $3 a month to add that line because we will only pay the taxes on it... even back when they said you could only bring iPhones, I used a Samsung Galaxy S5, and a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Xfinity mobile. Both phones were bought on eBay as Verizon phones, all I did was pop my SIM card in them from the XM LG X charge that I had, and they worked perfect...
Highlighted
Official Employee

Hello Dave323,

We greatly appreciate you taking the time post on the Xfinity Forum!  It’ll be my pleasure to provide further details.

What you mention in your post, indicates the usage of an active SIM card on an unsolicited device.  In many cases, customers who do this can and do retain full service and device functionality.  In these scenarios, we are unable to guarantee service or satisfy any requests to make changes to the account.

On your end, the Xfinity Mobile (XM) app would not reflect the device that you are currently using.  It would reflect the device that is officially assigned to the active SIM card.  On our end, this type of scenario reflects as an unsolicited device being used on the mobile service line number.

We don’t recommend using your account and services in this manner.  If you are experiencing functional and reliable service while using an unsolicited device, we can’t prevent you from taking those actions.

Let me know what other questions you may have regarding this, or any other topic related to your  XM account and service.          

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Yes the cheapest way to do it is get a Verizon Kyocera Cadence LTE S2720. You can get them on Ebay for like $85.00 but make sure that it's postpaid. If you buy the prepaid version they will make you spend an additional$50.00 to get it released. So make sure it says postpaid.

Highlighted
New Poster

So do you still need a old Iphone to get the card first?

Thanks

Highlighted
Problem Solver

Just go to the XM website for the answers, requirements, and the process. 

Here is the link below

https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/byod